Seatpost Clamp Sizing

Old November 22nd 05, 02:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Seatpost Clamp Sizing

Greetings!

I have stripped the threads on my seatpost clamp and went to an lbs to
find a new one (seatpost = 27.2). The clamp sold to me wouldn't fit
around the seatpost due to the machined ridge at the top that prevents
sliding down the seat tube. I probably could have gotten it on the
seat tube (the clamp was slightly out of round and would have required
some wanking) but I couldn't have gotten the seatpost in it.

The frame is columbus foco and seems very thin at the clamp area. Does
anyone know what size clamp would be appropriate (if the tubing were
0.4 mm at that point, I would suspect a ~28.0 mm clamp would be
appropriate).

The ridge on the old clamp appears to have been ground off. Maybe do
that with the clamp that will fit the seattube?

TIA and Happy Thanksgiving!

App

Old November 22nd 05, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"D'ohBoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings!

I have stripped the threads on my seatpost clamp and went to an lbs to
find a new one (seatpost = 27.2). The clamp sold to me wouldn't fit
around the seatpost due to the machined ridge at the top that prevents
sliding down the seat tube. I probably could have gotten it on the
seat tube (the clamp was slightly out of round and would have required
some wanking) but I couldn't have gotten the seatpost in it.

File it.

And don't worry if alarmists tell you this will cause fatigue failure from
the scratches the file leaves...

Old November 22nd 05, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

D'ohBoy wrote:
Greetings!

I have stripped the threads on my seatpost clamp and went to an lbs to
find a new one (seatpost = 27.2). The clamp sold to me wouldn't fit
around the seatpost due to the machined ridge at the top that prevents
sliding down the seat tube. I probably could have gotten it on the
seat tube (the clamp was slightly out of round and would have required
some wanking) but I couldn't have gotten the seatpost in it.

The frame is columbus foco and seems very thin at the clamp area. Does
anyone know what size clamp would be appropriate (if the tubing were
0.4 mm at that point, I would suspect a ~28.0 mm clamp would be
appropriate).

The ridge on the old clamp appears to have been ground off. Maybe do
that with the clamp that will fit the seattube?

TIA and Happy Thanksgiving!

App

I assume you mean your frame has the external seattube clamp like the
ones pictured in the link below.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

They only come in three sizes. 1 1/8, 1 1/4, 1 3/8. Or the metric
equivalent of 28.6, 31.8, 34.9. Get out your vernier calipers and put
them at the top of the seattube and determine the outside diameter of
the top of the seattube. These clamps have a ridge on the inside, a
lip, to prevent the clamp from sliding down the seattube. The lip will
be on top of the seattube.

Old November 22nd 05, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Quoth JT:

File it.

Yah, I could do that and did think of it but I would rather not have to
do that if possible. Settled on a Salsa LipLock with a barrel nut and
that will accommodate my odd OD without damaging the threads of the
clamp via the oblique bolt angle relative to the threads.

Thanks again for all of y'all's input.

D'ohBoy