Mountain bikers are out to "experience nature"? Not on your life!

Old October 11th 06, 01:31 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Marz

Default Mountain bikers are out to "experience nature"? Not on your life!

Fole Haafstra wrote:
"Marz" wrote in message
oups.com...

Fole Haafstra wrote:
You can't listen to nature while pounding out the miles in heart

stopping
frenzy.

Very true, trail running is hard enough work already with out having to
listen out for nature too.

Oh, sorry, you ment mountain biking when compared to hiking, then, err,
no, you're wrong. Have you ever ridden a bike?

Laters,

Marz

Been riding a bike longer than most (both styles) and when I walk I
EXPERIENCE more of the environment than when I'm riding. Actually, when I'm
hiking, I hate being disturbed by MB's.

What, both kinds, like Country and Westeeern? Because last time I
checked there's a few more than two types of riding. What you
EXPERIENCE is, strangely enough, your very own EXPERIENCE and not mine
or other peoples and is not transferable to me or others. And, does not
become scientific fact.

Are you disturbed by every mountain biker you come across or just those
who are out to rip up the trail with very little regard for others or
the environment around them. Because that is not all mtbers, not even
most, just as not all hikers leave behind their trash or take plant
cuttings, but the one's that do **** me off.

Laters,

Marz

Old October 11th 06, 03:23 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 05:23:40 -0400, "Fole Haafstra"
reply.to.group.not.me wrote:

"Marz" wrote in message
roups.com...

Fole Haafstra wrote:
You can't listen to nature while pounding out the miles in heart

stopping
frenzy.

Very true, trail running is hard enough work already with out having to
listen out for nature too.

Oh, sorry, you ment mountain biking when compared to hiking, then, err,
no, you're wrong. Have you ever ridden a bike?

Laters,

Marz

Been riding a bike longer than most (both styles) and when I walk I
EXPERIENCE more of the environment than when I'm riding. Actually, when I'm
hiking, I hate being disturbed by MB's.

Careful! Mountain bikers hate people who tell the truth.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old October 11th 06, 03:26 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On 11 Oct 2006 05:31:21 -0700, "Marz" wrote:

Fole Haafstra wrote:
"Marz" wrote in message
oups.com...

Fole Haafstra wrote:
[...]

What's wrong with what he said? "when I'm hiking, I hate being
disturbed by MB's". I agree. When I visit parks, it's NATURE I want to
see, not large, fast-moving pieces of MACHINERY. If I wanted to do
that, I would stay in the city. Most hikers feel this way.

Old October 11th 06, 04:08 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Marz

Mike Vandeman wrote:

What's wrong with what he said? "when I'm hiking, I hate being
disturbed by MB's". I agree. When I visit parks, it's NATURE I want to
see, not large, fast-moving pieces of MACHINERY. If I wanted to do
that, I would stay in the city. Most hikers feel this way.

Sounds like you're going hiking out in the country for the same reasons
I head out for biking.

My criteria for a peaceful ride is no engines out on the trail.

When I hike it's because the trail I'm following is unbikeable, too
steep or something or I'm heading out with a bunch of hiker mates
instead of biker mates.

Laters,

Marz

Old October 12th 06, 03:33 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On 11 Oct 2006 08:08:31 -0700, "Marz" wrote:

Mike Vandeman wrote:

What's wrong with what he said? "when I'm hiking, I hate being
disturbed by MB's". I agree. When I visit parks, it's NATURE I want to
see, not large, fast-moving pieces of MACHINERY. If I wanted to do
that, I would stay in the city. Most hikers feel this way.

Sounds like you're going hiking out in the country for the same reasons
I head out for biking.

Intentions aren't what are important. RESULTS are. Being on a bike
makes it IMPOSSIBLE to experience nature, except in the most
superficial way. It also teaches naive young people that the rough
treatment of nature is acceptable, when it's NOT. It's incredible how
mountain bikers are able to miss what's obvious to everyone else. Or,
they are simply LYING.