"Humans 'very likely' making earth warmer" is wrong

Old February 5th 07, 05:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,alt.energy.renewable
Bill Baka

Default Do not feed the Dinosaur!

Mark Hickey wrote:
Bill Baka wrote:

Mark Hickey wrote:
Bill Baka wrote:

You don't want to even try to cut down on coal/oil burning plants?
Sure, but not by using more resources to build solar panels that won't
return the energy (much less the cost) for many years to come.

And it is OK to waste that same Silicon to make tons of
games/gadgets/cell phones!

First, since silicon is essentially sand, I'm not worried about
running out of it any time soon. Second, photocells use a lot more
than the itty bitty little microscopic junctions in most semiconductor
devices (where a single die the size of a small solar panel might
contain hundreds of microprocessor chips). Third, that doesn't
address the amount of energy and resources necessary to build that
solar panel (or the expense, which is really the issue).

Yeah,
They can build a plant in the middle of the Sahara, solar powered of course.

Signs of a hard core Repuglican are starting to show.
If by that you mean "pragmatic and practical, rooted firmly in
reality", yup. The fact I agree with others that the solar panels are
no solution at this point is inarguable.

They are not a single, foolproof solution, but we had better start
somewhere.

Ahhhhh, the "do something, anything" approach to solving our problems.
No thanks.

You probably think Bush is a great president then too. The do nothing,
go to war, and still do nothing good for the US.

I have a 5" solar panel that powers my portable AM/FM/Shortwave radio
quite nicely. That was a small effort on my part to obtain the
mini-panel to power the radio, even up to LOUD, and I never have to
worry about buying batteries and adding to the dumps overflowing mess of
disposables.
Or you can simply use a radio that's plugged into the wall and
probably consume no more than a few cents worth of electricity a month
to power that portable radio (even at very loud volumes). Try funding
a solar panel on that (after looking up "opportuntity cost" and
understanding the concept, which may be a "Republican thing", of
course, since it's not subject to debate or spin).

It would be very hard to find a plug in at the park my grandkids like to
go to, and I am opposed to disposable batteries.

So do what I did - buy a radio with a crank. Doesn't require leaving
it in the sun all day, and can be recharged any time you like with
just a bit of finger/wrist exercise.

I had this one hiding in a corner and it is a marine RDF.
It was just begging to be used.
Bill Baka

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Old February 5th 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.renewable
Bill Baka

Default "Humans 'very likely' making earth warmer" is wrong

donquijote1954 wrote:
On Feb 3, 6:46 pm, "
wrote:

Reading the thread I have to laugh it's funny how cyclist of all
abilities and location on Earth are generally thinking the same. Here
is my take on the financial side of this war and global warming.
First lets take the billions of dollars invested in this war and buy
these people bikes. A) It will help reduce stress and then maybe they
can look at this dispute in a new light. B) By taking the money we
are spending on this war we could supply people all over the world
with nonpolluting means of transportation that would lower carbon
dioxide levels around the world. Okay so this is a thought of
eutopia. However, if you can't dream it you can't be it. At over 1
million dollars a day earning for exon I wonder what there take is on
this idea. A famous quote goes "I wait for the day when government
has to have a bake sale to build a bomb, and schools have money to
educate their children properly" or something like that.- Hide quoted text -

Yep, but the hungry lions make history, and they can't bet on vehicles
that feed them with "peanuts" --the bike. They want juicy steak...

'Yes, we need to fight a war, but no, the enemy is not Iraq... The
enemy is oil with 65+ percent of the known oil reserves in the
politically unstable, "Death to America"-chanting Middel East. Imagine
the advances the United States could make to world stability and
developing domestic employment opportunities if it spent the $79+
billion Congress recently approved for Bush's Iraq war on alternative
energy subsidies and investment. Might this be a better way to fight
terrorism, support our troops, and regain world favor?'
-Jay Lustgarten (Source: World Press Review, letters). See this
solution... http://www.joinfoil.org/index.html

$79 billion is nothing compared to the total cost so far. It is more
like half a trillion. A trillion. Try to even count that high. Bush must
be counting on the average person not being able to understand how MUCH
that is.
Bill Baka
Old February 5th 07, 05:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.renewable
Bill Baka

donquijote1954 wrote:
On Feb 3, 9:29 pm, Bill Baka wrote:

point is, "What ever happened to little economy cars??".
Bill Baka- Hide quoted text -

Europe is full of them. They are too Smart for us...

Mercedes Smart Car Headed for U.S. Market

June 26, 2006
DaimlerChrysler plans to sell its 60-mile-per-gallon two-seater Smart
Car in the U.S. next year.

The little Smart Car is just more than 8 feet long and less than 5
feet wide and is small enough to fit in half of a typical parking
space.

The three-cylinder turbocharged Smart Car can achieve up to 60 mpg,
according to DaimlerChrysler.

.

I used to drive nothing but Renault R-8's and R-10's and one of those
got a staggering 54 MPG, in the 60's and 70's. It can be done, so why
are all the car ads bragging about 28 MPG? Does nobody feel like their
intelligence is under rated by the marketing guys?
Even an American tank can get over 30 MPG if it is gear right.
My 1988 Mustang 5.0 got 33 MPG in cruise mode, due to the extra high
gearing I had.
I really feel insulted by some of the ads on television.
Bill Baka
Old February 5th 07, 12:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.renewable
di

"Bill Baka" wrote in message news:VHzxh.71362
My 1988 Mustang 5.0 got 33 MPG in cruise mode, due to the extra high
gearing I had.

..
Bill Baka

Bull****!

Old February 5th 07, 12:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.renewable
Mark Hickey

Default Why are SUVs and Christianity similar?

Bill Baka wrote:

Mark Hickey wrote:
Bill Baka wrote:

Religious people are hopeless.

Yeah, just look at the poor owner and coach of the Colts. A couple
real failures, those two.

What. Only one example. That makes my case.

Look up the word "topical", Bill...

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old February 5th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.renewable
Deputy Dumbya Dawg

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message
: Bill Baka wrote:
:
: Christians seem to base their life on whatever the
pope interprets the
: Bible to mean, and will commit any act that is
harmful to the planet as
: their way of following God's will.
:
: Total Bull****. Remember the Crusades? Become
Christian or we will kill
: you type stuff.
:
: So if the church says to kill all non-Christians it
is not sanctioned
: murder?
:
: Bill, you obviously don't have a clue what
Christianity is about.
: Anyone who does would read the above and feel sorry
for your lack of
: knowledge on the subject. You used the term "fruit
loop detected"...
: believe me, it applies to your comments even more
than the windmill
: tilter.
:
: Mark Hickey

Yeah Mark he should have said Catholics while referring
to the pope like that. You are absolutely right.

That being said he is right on regarding his charge
that the stupid christian mother****ers will kill
anyone not just like them for a buck and a shot at a
seat at the jezus banquet in heaven and a chance to
take the rapture elevator to the show.

**** all christians like Rome did. Throw you to the
lions you murdering *******s.

peace
dawg

Old February 5th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.renewable
Deputy Dumbya Dawg

Old February 5th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.renewable
Bill Baka

di wrote:
"Bill Baka" wrote in message news:VHzxh.71362
My 1988 Mustang 5.0 got 33 MPG in cruise mode, due to the extra high
gearing I had.

.
Bill Baka

Bull****!

Sorry, it is true. I ordered it with the 5 speed Tremec and a 2.73 rear
end gear so at 55 MPH it got 33 MPG and about1,400 RPM. That is the same
way I got 38 MPG from a flathead 6 in my 1961 rambler. In both cases I
had to down shift to get any real passing power but I wasn't blowing my
gas just to make pistons go up and down. RPM is why cars don't get any
better mileage. Every Joe Consumer wants his power without down shifting
so not a single manufacturer offers that extra high gear. Both my Mazda
and my daughter's Kia do over 2,000 RPM at highway speeds. New cars are
coming with almost universal front wheel drive so there is no longer the
choice of changing the gears for economy. The only cars offering rear
wheel drive are the Mustang, Viper, Corvette, and the large Ford cars
like the Lincoln, Mercury Marquis and a limited few others.
Sad state of affairs but there you have it.
Bill Baka