A nice thought

Old May 4th 07, 07:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Garry Lee

Default A nice thought

I cannot stand any gym work. Never could. My youngest daughter who's a
triathlete loves gym work as well.

I just cycle and walk. I have always cycled to work and I cycle about
4-5 days a week during the summer, 2 during the winter. It keeps me
(relatively) sane.

Old May 4th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Tim McNamara

In article .com,
Garry Lee wrote:

I cannot stand any gym work. Never could. My youngest daughter who's
a triathlete loves gym work as well.

I just cycle and walk. I have always cycled to work and I cycle about
4-5 days a week during the summer, 2 during the winter. It keeps me
(relatively) sane.

I'm with you on this. I hate exercising indoors, period. I used to
lift weights and all that in the gym during the winter back in my racing
days, and I hated every minute of it. I used to ride the rollers or a
trainer in my basement, and hated every minute of it.

Here in Minnesota, winter time riding can be less than pleasant with
lots of snow and ice and much below freezing weather for weeks at a
time- hence the gym membership and the rollers. However, we have had 10
of the warmest winters on record with low snowfall amounts in the past
12 years. Winter isn't what it used to be here. Now it's like the mild
winters from when I grew up in Chicago, and year round riding is much
more comfortable.
Old May 4th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Jay Beattie

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message
In article .com,
Garry Lee wrote:

[...]

Winter in Chicago is mild? Egads!

My gym experience is identical to yours, and now as a grown-up with a
family, job, house, etc., going to a gym to work out puts a huge hole in an
already busy day. I much prefer riding to and from work. I also do longer
rides on the weekend as time allows. I get my upper body work by pulling
junipers out of the front yard. Apart from riding, my only athletic
time-and-money-blower is skiing with my son on Sundays (our version of
church, I guess). That is far, far more enjoyable than running on a
treadmill indoors, both physically and psychically. -- Jay Beattie.

Old May 4th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Bill H.

On May 3, 8:27 pm, "Mike Kruger" wrote:
Bill H. wrote:

Which means those of us who are long-married can discuss with a spouse the
merits of a new bike versus a gym membership and get a fair amount of
enthusiasm for the new bike, even from a non-cycling spouse.

Ah-ha! Good point!

Recently being single again...well...I'm in a different camp.

Old May 4th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Tim McNamara

Garry Lee wrote:

[...]

Hah! This, of course, is a matter of perspective. I've lived in
Minnesota since coming here to go to college in 1977- so 18 years in
Chicago and nearly 30 years in Minnesota. Chicago temps are mild in the
winter, moderated I suppose by Lake Michigan and having a significant
"heat bubble." I don't recall ever experiencing -30F in Chicago,
whereas I've seen quite a few days in Minnesota where -30F was the high
temperature for the day. I've even been out in -45F snowshoeing on the
Gunflint Trail and in the Boundary Waters area around Ely- with mukluks
to keep your feet warm, it's not too bad.

Oddly, though, 0F here feels more comfortable than 20F in Chicago.
Winter is much drier here whereas Chicago's air always feels damp, and
feels more cutting when the wind blows.

My gym experience is identical to yours, and now as a grown-up with a
family, job, house, etc., going to a gym to work out puts a huge hole
in an already busy day. I much prefer riding to and from work. I
also do longer rides on the weekend as time allows. I get my upper
body work by pulling junipers out of the front yard. Apart from
riding, my only athletic time-and-money-blower is skiing with my son
on Sundays (our version of church, I guess). That is far, far more
enjoyable than running on a treadmill indoors, both physically and
psychically.

Absolutely! There are lots of ways to get good quality exercise without
spending a couple hundred bucks a year on smelly, badly maintained gym.
Old May 4th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Michael Press

In article
. com,
Ozark Bicycle wrote:

On May 3, 10:27 pm, "Mike Kruger" wrote:
Bill H. wrote:
Gyms are better. They're air conditioned, ...

They're better socially, also, as there's usually a chance to strike
up a conversation with someone who's also there working out, and may
even be toned and attractive.

Which means those of us who are long-married can discuss with a spouse the
merits of a new bike versus a gym membership and get a fair amount of
enthusiasm for the new bike, even from a non-cycling spouse.

That's a rather clever scheme! ;-)

What are gym dues? $60/month. It will take a while to buy a new
bicycle. A recently married acquaintance of mine with a good
salary made a deal with his wife. For every dollar he spent on
armament he would provide two dollars for her disposition.

--
Michael Press
Old May 5th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Hadron

Ozark Bicycle writes:

On May 3, 9:09 am, still me wrote:
On 3 May 2007 06:27:57 -0700, Ozark Bicycle

wrote:

A friend of a friend is a "workout freak", spending hours every week
at 'the club' on the treadmill, in spinning class, aerobics, etc. Yet,
this same person not only drives literally everywhere (Less than 2
miles to the convenience store? Take the car!) and will spend time
cruising a parking lot looking for a close-to-the-door parking place.
Go figure!

Some of it is a time consideration. I can find an hour a day to
exercise, but just one hour. I don't have another half hour to walk to
the local store and back too.

Time is a consideration. But, why drive across town to the gym and
spend 45 min on a treadmill (and then back across town to get home)
instead of a ~45 min round trip to the convenience store/library/video
store etc.? Personally, I'd much rather walk or bike outdoors on
'errands' than spend time on a treadmill or 'exercise bike' at a gym.

There is no comparison : the gym bike will make you work a lot
harder. It is constant effort to keep the pedals spinning.

The people who amuse me are those that will struggle to find a parking
space 25-50 feet closer to the store - sometimes even sitting in their
cars and waiting just to avoid walking for an extra minute.

Old May 5th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Ozark Bicycle

wrote:

[...]

That depends on the "gym bike", how the resistance is set, etc., etc.
It also depends on the terrain and conditions the real ride takes
place on (hills, headwinds, etc.).

It is constant effort to keep the pedals spinning.

It is also a constant effort to fend of the utter boredom.

Old May 5th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc

On May 3, 2:56 pm, John Kane wrote:

Possibly true possibly a photoshop deal but funny.http://thewoobit.com/wp-content/uplo..._escalator.jpg

Rehab.

I enjoy the Escalator Challenge from time to time. Reading glasses
(airport, gate listings, etc.) add a new dimension, I've found. --D-y

Old May 5th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Dane Buson

In rec.bicycles.misc Hadron wrote:
Ozark Bicycle writes:

Time is a consideration. But, why drive across town to the gym and
spend 45 min on a treadmill (and then back across town to get home)
instead of a ~45 min round trip to the convenience store/library/video
store etc.? Personally, I'd much rather walk or bike outdoors on
'errands' than spend time on a treadmill or 'exercise bike' at a gym.

There is no comparison : the gym bike will make you work a lot
harder. It is constant effort to keep the pedals spinning.

I somehow doubt that you can get a better workout on a gym bike. If
nothing else, they tend not to be comfortable to use for long periods.

If you really have a problem with coasting too much, get a fixed gear.

--
Dane Buson -
Robot, n.:

A nice thought Ozark Bicycle General 40 May 13th 07 07:12 PM
Please have a thought Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 0 January 8th 06 01:33 AM
Saw these, thought of you. Mark Thompson UK 4 January 11th 05 07:28 PM
Thought I'd seen it all John Miller UK 1 December 21st 04 07:59 AM
just a thought Pete @ eclipse UK 6 September 4th 03 10:01 AM