Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic?

Old March 31st 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Randell[_2_]

Default Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic?

Perhaps when gas is $10 a gallon, drivers will start to see us in a
different light.

Don't hold your breath on that. It's up to $8.50/gallon equivalent here
(UK) and it hasn't made any real difference to attitudes. The vast majority
of drivers are as careful as they ever were and there's a very small, but
persistent, number of complete idiots.

--

Nigel

Old March 31st 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 31, 12:00*pm, ComandanteBanana
wrote:
Having other types of bikes in my collection, I'm about to get off the
beaten path and get either a ROAD TANDEM BIKE or a FANCY UPRIGHT
TRIKE. Well, I like them both but the road tandem would necessarily
put me on the road AMONG THE BEASTS all the time, while the trike I
can use on the back streets and on a new path being built overlooking
the ocean (cool). But I'd be tempted to ride it on the streets
sometimes, squarely TAKING THE LANE because then I'd be more of a
vehicle.

What's your thought, I'd be safer in the trike than on the road
tandem, or should I start planning my funerals?

WHY THE BANANA REVOLUTION?http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

I've never had this happen when I rode a bicycle. It seems as though
riding a trike is such a dangerous thing. I wonder why this is?

Are people easily distracted by it?

Cullen

Old March 31st 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Mar 31, 5:18*pm, "Roger Zoul" wrote:
"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message

On Mar 31, 2:26 pm, "Roger Zoul" wrote:

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message

Having other types of bikes in my collection, I'm about to get off the
beaten path and get either a ROAD TANDEM BIKE or a FANCY UPRIGHT
TRIKE. Well, I like them both but the road tandem would necessarily
put me on the road AMONG THE BEASTS all the time, while the trike I
can use on the back streets and on a new path being built overlooking
the ocean (cool). But I'd be tempted to ride it on the streets
sometimes, squarely TAKING THE LANE because then I'd be more of a
vehicle.

What's your thought, I'd be safer in the trike than on the road
tandem, or should I start planning my funerals?

I've ridden my recumbent trike in real live traffic on many occasions I
always live to tell about it. I take the lane when needed, too.

It's about attitude and if you ain't got none, ride something else.

:Yeah, but if I'm riding a bike in traffic, I'm giving my back to the
:enemy...

:Whether I survive or not has little to with attitude, and a lot to
:with their clemency.

I think it's clearly about your attitude toward what you think may happen
vs. what will happen. *You're assuming drivers will run you down. *Perhaps
you live some place where cyclists get run down as a matter of sport, on a
daily basis, anytime they share the road with traffic. *Why don't you tell
us about where you live and how many cyclists are killed there per year?- Hide quoted text -

I don't know how many are killed a year, but I've seen a beautiful
lady on a scooter get crushed by a car running a red light right
before my eyes. And out of the few cyclists who dare ride this road,
never ever seen a trike. All you see is a few hardcore riders ride it
early on weekends.

By the way I do live in Miami Beach, USA.
Old March 31st 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

wrote:

[...]

I think the cute factor may actually deter people from aggressive
behavior, but I'd be worried about the SPEED DIFFERENTIAL being too
great, particularly when they are on the phone.
Old March 31st 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Roger Zoul

[...]

Sad about the lady...

Even here, there are roads that I choose not to ride on. But at the same
time, there seem to be plenty roads that I can ride on. If your view of
cycling means you go everywhere you need or want to go by trike/bike, then
perhaps that is a serious concern. As a recreational rider, I look at
cycling from a different POV.

Old March 31st 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
DennisTheBald

On Mar 31, 3:35 pm, "Nigel Randell" wrote:
Perhaps when gas is $10 a gallon, drivers will start to see us in a
different light.

Don't hold your breath on that. It's up to $8.50/gallon equivalent here
(UK) and it hasn't made any real difference to attitudes. The vast majority
of drivers are as careful as they ever were and there's a very small, but
persistent, number of complete idiots.

--

Nigel

I've been there. It was my observation that on the whole the freaking
idiots over there are much nicer than the freaking idiots over here,
but I was pretty much just about town and not out in the country.
Freaking idiots abound, to paraphrase a long dead leader of the
USofAliens; God must love them as he made so many of 'em.

Over there I frequently saw bicyclists wearing normal clothes, over
here the assumption is that unless they're wearing spandex they must
be an undocumented worker. I guess maybe there is a immigration
problem there too? I did note a French language channel on the tele.
Old March 31st 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Mar 31, 5:48 pm, "Vito" wrote:

But I think it also has to do with HATE. Yeah, they hate that other
people remain free and healthy ....

Free and healthy my ass! What we hate is groups of cyclists bored with the
many bikes and trails people like me paid for who ride 3 or 4 abreast at 20
mph blocking a 55mph highway. That's why "jousting" is so popular - y'know
a couple good old boys in the back of a pickup with 2x4s looking for
cyclists to put in the ditch. So much for free and healthy ....

Well, I 'm not talking about those hardcore cyclists, but about the
little guy doing the right thing by riding a bike around. And while
jousting is not done with 2x4s, it can easily be accomplished with the
bumpers.

Drivers envy motorcyclists because they remain free, and hate cyclists
because they are healthy and free --and slow them down.

Old March 31st 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Mar 31, 6:29*pm, "Roger Zoul" wrote:
[...]

I don't know if she died or not, but she won't be as pretty as before
if left with a limping leg.

Even here, there are roads that I choose not to ride on. But at the same
time, there seem to be plenty roads that I can ride on. If your view of
cycling means you go everywhere you need or want to go by trike/bike, then
perhaps that is a serious concern. *As a recreational rider, I look at
cycling from a different POV.- Hide quoted text -

To me FREEDOM TO BIKE is just that. Freedom to ride when you want,
where you want. Otherwise there's no freedom, period. You're just
feeding the beast (wars and environmental destruction).

I'm not opposed to driving, but most trips under 5 miles can be
accomplished by bikes.

http://atom.smasher.org/highway/?l1=...ast%21&l3=&l4=

Old March 31st 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
donquijote1954

Default the beauty and the beast

the beauty...

http://www.schwinnbike.com/heritage/...chmentid=38628

and the beast...

http://www.marketingshift.com/images...UV-7300cxt.gif

Old April 1st 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tim McNamara

In article
,
ComandanteBanana wrote:

Having other types of bikes in my collection, I'm about to get off
the beaten path and get either a ROAD TANDEM BIKE or a FANCY UPRIGHT
TRIKE. Well, I like them both but the road tandem would necessarily
put me on the road AMONG THE BEASTS all the time, while the trike I
can use on the back streets and on a new path being built overlooking
the ocean (cool). But I'd be tempted to ride it on the streets
sometimes, squarely TAKING THE LANE because then I'd be more of a
vehicle.

What's your thought, I'd be safer in the trike than on the road
tandem, or should I start planning my funerals?

I see you've changed your screen name but not your behavior.

A trike is no more of a vehicle than a bicycle. The trike riders I have
met report that drivers give them more room on the road because they are
an unusual veicle. Drivers may assume that the rider is infirm in some
way, too.

Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic? ComandanteBanana General 241 April 15th 08 01:22 PM
Traffic Citations & Traffic Cops Freddie Mountain Biking 0 March 23rd 06 06:02 AM
Another bike in collision with a car... wafflycat UK 34 December 31st 05 04:50 AM
My first collision Alan J. Wylie UK 26 April 15th 05 07:44 AM
In collision with... Just zis Guy, you know? UK 22 August 3rd 03 05:08 PM