How the Bicycle Should Carry the Weight of the Cyclist

Old March 13th 11, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Bill Sornson[_6_]

Default How the Bicycle Should Carry the Weight of the Cyclist

"Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°" wrote in message

On 3/6/2011 11:13 AM, Dan 0vermĒn wrote:
[...]
We once talked about how much body weight goes into the handlebars. I
said most weight should go into the pedals, but that it was one of
those super-complex dynamic things.

Now it occurs to me that there's one time - at the top of each stroke,
when weight must come off to switch to the other pedal.[...]

The handlebars should carry the weight of the lower arms and hands only.
The rest of the rider's weight should be on the seat, with a
significant portion being carried by the seat back.

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

***

Just curious, Tom. A number of your "reply posts" appear as new threads,
with no "Re." in the Subject field.

Any idea why?

Bill "we won't mention my rogue question mark and lack of quoting" S.

Old March 13th 11, 05:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
"Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°" wrote in message

On 3/6/2011 11:13 AM, Dan 0vermĒn wrote:
[...]
We once talked about how much body weight goes into the handlebars. I
said most weight should go into the pedals, but that it was one of
those super-complex dynamic things.

Now it occurs to me that there's one time - at the top of each stroke,
when weight must come off to switch to the other pedal.[...]

The handlebars should carry the weight of the lower arms and hands only.

The rest of the rider's weight should be on the seat, with a
significant portion being carried by the seat back.

Anyone who was not born yesterday KNOWS that 1/3 of the weight is on the
handle bars, 1/3 of the weight is on the saddle and 1/3 of the weight is on
the pedals. This applies to uprights. Recumbents are entirely different
which is why they are so damn comfortable.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old March 13th 11, 05:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

Default Thread Titles

On 3/12/2011 9:29 PM, Bill Sornson wrote:
[...]

Because I update thread titles to match the subject when thread drift
occurs. However, many programs will still recognize previous posts in
the thread, e.g. Mozilla Thunderbird provides a "references" line in the
header, where the previous posts up-thread are numbered, and can be
accessed simply by clicking on the number.

Bill "we won't mention my rogue question mark and lack of quoting" S.

Or Micro$oft Windows Live Mail 15.4.3502.922 *not* recognizing the
signature separator, i.e " --". It seems Micro$oft is too arrogant to
follow established protocols.

Old March 13th 11, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°" " wrote in
message ...
[...]
Or Micro$oft Windows Live Mail 15.4.3502.922 *not* recognizing the
signature separator, i.e " --". It seems Micro$oft is too arrogant to
follow established protocols.

I purposely delete the signature separator on my Windows Mail because I want
everyone to know exactly who I am. On some postings, the signature has a
tendency to disappear if it has a separator.

But what is the purpose of the signature separator anyway?

Regards,

Old March 13th 11, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Dan O

On Mar 13, 11:47 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"T m Sherm n _ " " wrote in
[...]

Or Micro$oft Windows Live Mail 15.4.3502.922 *not* recognizing the
signature separator, i.e " --". It seems Micro$oft is too arrogant to
follow established protocols.

I purposely delete the signature separator on my Windows Mail because I want
everyone to know exactly who I am. On some postings, the signature has a
tendency to disappear if it has a separator.

But what is the purpose of the signature separator anyway?

Regards,

It delimits the msg body.

Old March 13th 11, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 3/13/2011 2:38 PM, Dan 0vermĒn wrote:
On Mar 13, 11:47 am, "Edward wrote:
"T m Sherm n _ " wrote in
[...]

Or Micro$oft Windows Live Mail 15.4.3502.922 *not* recognizing the
signature separator, i.e " --". It seems Micro$oft is too arrogant to
follow established protocols.

I purposely delete the signature separator on my Windows Mail because I want
everyone to know exactly who I am. On some postings, the signature has a
tendency to disappear if it has a separator.

But what is the purpose of the signature separator anyway?

Regards,

It delimits the msg body.

Good thing for those who are intolerant of monosodium glutamate.

Old March 13th 11, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Dan O" wrote in message
On Mar 13, 11:47 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"T m Sherm n _ " " wrote in
[...]

Or Micro$oft Windows Live Mail 15.4.3502.922 *not* recognizing the
signature separator, i.e " --". It seems Micro$oft is too arrogant to
follow established protocols.

I purposely delete the signature separator on my Windows Mail because I
want
everyone to know exactly who I am. On some postings, the signature has a
tendency to disappear if it has a separator.

But what is the purpose of the signature separator anyway?

Regards,

It delimits the msg body.

But I want my signature to appear on all of my messages that are responded
to unless the responder purposely deletes it.

Old March 13th 11, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Duane Hebert

On 3/13/2011 4:55 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
"Dan wrote in message
On Mar 13, 11:47 am, "Edward wrote:
"T m Sherm n _ " wrote in
[...]

Or Micro$oft Windows Live Mail 15.4.3502.922 *not* recognizing the
signature separator, i.e " --". It seems Micro$oft is too arrogant to
follow established protocols.
I purposely delete the signature separator on my Windows Mail because I
want
everyone to know exactly who I am. On some postings, the signature has a
tendency to disappear if it has a separator.

But what is the purpose of the signature separator anyway?

Regards,

It delimits the msg body.

But I want my signature to appear on all of my messages that are responded
to unless the responder purposely deletes it.

It's seen as good form to remove the sig of the OP when replying. The
trace for the thread is done at the top where you see the time and
author. This way you can combine that with the marking for each poster
(// or colored lines or whatever) and know who is speaking when
there are multiple responses.
Old March 14th 11, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Dan wrote in message
[...]

I think you are right. I will leave the signature separator and see how it
works on my Windows Mail. Let's face it, anyone who matters on these
newsgroups knows by now how Great I am and that I am from Minnesota.

Old March 14th 11, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Bill Sornson[_6_]

Default Sherman's Ever-changing Subjects (AKA Thread Titles)

[...]

Hey, the remnant question mark seems to be gone, at least. No idea why
they'd CHANGE the '' quoting convention, which worked fine in LiveMail
until the 2011 "upgrade".

I still think you should indicate that you're /replying/ to content in the
Subject field, even if resorting to the ol' "Was: Tibetan Monkey Spams
Newsgroups Relentlessly" (for example) shtick.

Bill "no sweat off my mousebutt; I barely check in here nowadays" S.