Arrested on a bike? Let us know!

Old September 13th 04, 09:53 PM
Mark Ingram

Jym can't make it sound like a bad-ass full-out riot in NYC streets, with
the evil cops killing bicyclists.

"Jym Dyer" wrote in message
You make it sound as if they had no control over the number of
arrests, as if they were innocent victims of some preordained
arrest schedule, almost as if they *were ordered* to make each
and every arrest!

=v= "I was only following orders" was soundly judged as no
defense back in 1945. Has this judgement been suspended for
the New World Order? "Ken [NY)" seems to be celebrating that.

=v= Just so we're clear about what the NYPD did:

o Sent unmarked "scooter goons" into peaceful, law-abiding
crowds. The _New_York_Times_ printed the police's claim
that they "nudged" protesters, but they have been videotaped
hitting and kicking people.

That is a LIE, I was there, about 5 of the "protesters" intentionally
started it, I think they were from out of town, here to start trouble
intentionally.

o Blocked off areas and indiscriminately arrested everyone
on a block or street. Typical tactic: surrounding them
so that nobody could disperse, then giving an order to
disperse, then arresting them all.

They started doing that at the DNC first.

o At bicycle events, arresting everyone in the area, including
food delivery people and those walking on the sidewalk.
Using boltcutters and other tools to steal every bicycle
locked up in the area.

Overstated crap to stir people up. Nothing like that happened.

o In addition to the indiscriminate mass arrests, targeted
legal observers and medics for a block around and arresting
them as well.

Not true, Too bad your mass event or "riot", didn't happen like you wanted
it too.

_Jym_

Old September 14th 04, 07:24 PM
Yora Ishmel

"slim" wrote in message

Yora Isecha wrote:

"Jym Dyer" wrote in message
"Ken [NY)" once again demonstrates his inability
to read for comprehension:

No protesting, eh?

=v= I never said that. What I said, in small words that I
mistakenly thought you were capable of comprehending, is that
many (not all -- repeat -- not all) who were arrested were
protesting, and also that many who were protesting were not
breaking any laws.
_Jym_

Well, which way are you going to have it, Jym-boy?

They WERE, or WERE NOT, breaking LAWS?

People "break laws" everyday in NYC.

You jaywalk, don't you? '-)

If the were protesting, they took the risk to go to jail, and be arrested
(two different things Jym ignores to inflame), they were breaking the law by
unlawful assembly.

Jaywalking, swiping something, mugging....... You pry up the law to
justify anything.

Old September 14th 04, 07:37 PM
Steven M. O'Neill

Yora Ishmel wrote:
If the were protesting, they took the risk to go to jail, and be arrested
(two different things Jym ignores to inflame), they were breaking the law by
unlawful assembly.

What about the people who were (reportedly) arrested who weren't
protesting, but were just passing by?

--
Steven O'Neill
Old September 14th 04, 08:07 PM
Yora Ishmel

"Steven M. O'Neill" wrote in message
Yora Ishmel wrote:
If the were protesting, they took the risk to go to jail, and be arrested
(two different things Jym ignores to inflame), they were breaking the law

by
unlawful assembly.

What about the people who were (reportedly) arrested who weren't
protesting, but were just passing by?

--
Steven O'Neill

Cops made a decision on the scene, normally I stay away or move away from
cops and arrest scenes.

So it sounds strange to me that one would walk into a bunch of Cops
arresting people, and not expect to get arrested.

They will have their day in Court to straighten it out.

Old September 14th 04, 09:05 PM
Jack Dingler

What laws were they breaking? I thought peaceable assembly was protected
by the US Constitution.

Jack Dingler

Old September 14th 04, 09:29 PM
Yora Ishmel

"Jack Dingler" wrote in message
What laws were they breaking? I thought peaceable assembly was protected
by the US Constitution.

Wrong.

Got a permit?

A Cop can bust you if you are "in the way" or "interfering" with what he is
doing,
or "unlawful assembly".

Educate yourself on the law, checkout a book at the library, or call a
police station and ask.

Or remain a "victim", or one who "speaks with shallow knowledge to convince
little kids".

Old September 14th 04, 10:33 PM
Mitch Haley

"Steven M. O'Neill" wrote:
What about the people who were (reportedly) arrested who weren't
protesting, but were just passing by?

Well, that's the price they pay for living in a police state.

Mitch
Old September 14th 04, 10:33 PM
Mitch Haley

Jack Dingler wrote:

What laws were they breaking? I thought peaceable assembly was protected
by the US Constitution.

The Bill of Rights was revoked years ago, haven't you noticed yet?
Old September 14th 04, 11:05 PM
Jack Dingler

In related newsgroups, I've read firsthand accounts of folks being
arrested for unlawful assembly when leaving the office and walking to
their car, or waiting at bustops.

I think it's clear that unlawful assembly means whatever it needs to
mean. If you think the law is cut and dried as you think it is, then
you're a bit innocent. Education is meaningless if a politician wants to
to make a statement.

Jack Dingler

Old September 14th 04, 11:22 PM
Jack Dingler

Ray Bradbury once wrote a short story about a time when going outdoors
or taking a walk, would be a suspicious or even a criminal activity.

What foresight he had. He also described in an interview how freedom and
democracy is impossible if the population rises high enough. He used the
analogy of a bathroom in a house.

1. With one person living in the house, that person could have complete
freedom to use the bathroom.
2. With two people, the freedom to use the bathroom still existed, but
sometimes one person has to wait.
5 With five people, arrangements and schedules have to be made. Bathroom
maintenance time becomes an issue.
.... Add more people and you need strict rules and punishments for
bathroom protocol. Freedom to sue the bathroom at will has become
nonexistent.

As our population grows, basic freedoms, rights and democracy has to be
abandoned in favor of a strict state with strict rules and harsh
punishments. This is because resources and time become commodities that
have to be stretch to serve more and more people.

Public property like streets and sidewalks become valuable commodities
that cannot accommodate everyone, all the time. So it becomes necessary
to deny people the right to travel as they choose, when they wish to go
and where they want to go. It's only the logic of this progression. that
an increasing population will see a need to keep people off the
sidewalks as much as possible and to restrict their travel in the name
of efficiency.

The idea of rounding up people waiting to cross at lights or waiting at
bus stops in New York City, in order to fill quotas for protester
arrests, seems outrageous in the suburbs of Texas. But I can see how
such actions must evolve, in a highly populated area. With so little
space and so many people, the city will feel pressure to encourage
people to leave the sidewalks and streets as quickly as they can.

As joblessness in the US increases and with it, higher fuel prices and
shortages, more folks will be forced to ride bicycles in search of work.
Tensions must rise between those that are employed and those that
aren't, and the easiest way for a city to show they are doing something,
is just to make indiscriminate mass arrests. Things are going to get
exciting in the big cities over the next couple of decades as we cross
over the top of the Hubbert Peak. The police state will soon need to
find ways keep the unemployed off the streets.

Get ready for interesting times.

And it's not about the law. It's life clashing with politics. Justice
will be the first casualty, making the law meaningless.

Jack Dingler