Wrong Side Of The Road

Old July 16th 05, 08:13 AM
Raptor

Default Wrong Side Of The Road

winnard wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Raptor wrote:

Certainly, on a six-lane heavy traffic road, you don't ride facing
traffic! Not if you have any knowledge and survival instinct!

You should have a car if you want to ride in a six lane road. There's no
place for a bicyckle on a six lane road.

winnard

Depends entirely on the shoulder.

I regularly ride a main drag (State Street) through SLC, and it's a
six+one turn lane, 40-mph speed limit. It runs past strip malls, under
freeways, and is lined with driveways. I actually feel it's relatively
safe because it has shoulder space which helps slow the outside lanes,
and the many driveways result in generally alert drivers.

But, making a left turn onto it from an uncontrolled intersection
involves quite a wait, or better yet riding to a signal.

Conservative dictionary:
Judicial Activist: n. A judge who tends to rule against your wishes.

Old July 16th 05, 09:10 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:36:37 -0500, "winnard"
wrote:

You should have a car if you want to ride in a six lane road. There's no
place for a bicyckle on a six lane road.

Just like you should have white skin if you want to ride the bus.
There's no place for black skin on city buses...

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound
Old July 16th 05, 10:05 AM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

Default Wrong Side Of The Sidewalk??

Ralph Kennedy wrote about somebody:

going like a bat out of hell the wrong way on the sidewalk.

So which way is "the wrong way" on the *sidewalk*??

Old July 16th 05, 12:12 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 02:05:14 -0700, LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0
m wrote:

going like a bat out of hell the wrong way on the sidewalk.

So which way is "the wrong way" on the *sidewalk*??

Being on the sidewalk at all is the "wrong way" :-D

Old July 16th 05, 03:54 PM

m wrote:

going like a bat out of hell the wrong way on the sidewalk.

So which way is "the wrong way" on the *sidewalk*??

Being on the sidewalk at all is the "wrong way" :-D

True. But ISTR that the accident rate per mile is significantly worse
if you're on the sidewalk, riding opposite the direction of the
adjacent car traffic. At normal bike speeds, that is.

- Frank Krygowski

Old July 17th 05, 07:10 AM
Raptor

m wrote:

going like a bat out of hell the wrong way on the sidewalk.

So which way is "the wrong way" on the *sidewalk*??

Being on the sidewalk at all is the "wrong way" :-D

Guy

I ride the sidewalk frequently, but only when the road is unsafe. When
on the sidewalk, I'm a fast pedestrian, keeping my max speed in the
10mph range. That's the only safe way to ride the sidewalk, so it's
reserved for avoiding dangerous roadways.

Old July 18th 05, 07:38 PM
Ralph Kennedy

LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m writes:
Ralph Kennedy wrote about somebody:

going like a bat out of hell the wrong way on the sidewalk.

So which way is "the wrong way" on the *sidewalk*??

Against the flow of traffic. I don't know about
where you live, but in Arizona, if you're allowed to
ride a bicycle on the sidewalk at all (and in most
of the Phoenix metropolitan area, you're not), you
must ride in the same direction as traffic. The
reason is to avoid precisely the scenario that unfolded
that I described. The last direction drivers will be
looking when turning right into traffic is left, so
if a cyclist comes from the right at rapid speed, he
won't be seen.

--Ralph Kennedy {ames,gatech,husc6,rutgers}!ncar!noao!asuvax!kenne dy
{allegra,decvax,ihnp4,oddjob}--^
^---------------The Wrong Choice
internet:
Old July 19th 05, 03:16 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 00:10:41 -0600 in rec.bicycles.soc, Raptor
wrote:

I ride the sidewalk frequently, but only when the road is unsafe. When
on the sidewalk, I'm a fast pedestrian, keeping my max speed in the
10mph range. That's the only safe way to ride the sidewalk, so it's
reserved for avoiding dangerous roadways.

stop being timid! just take the damn lane!

"Widening highways to cure congestion is like trying to cure
obesity by loosening your belt." --- Stephen Goddard
Dennis P. Harris
http://www.ejuneau.net
Old July 21st 05, 06:42 AM
Raptor

wrote:

I ride the sidewalk frequently, but only when the road is unsafe. When
on the sidewalk, I'm a fast pedestrian, keeping my max speed in the
10mph range. That's the only safe way to ride the sidewalk, so it's
reserved for avoiding dangerous roadways.

stop being timid! just take the damn lane!

It's not timidity(?), it's courtesy. Okay, maybe a little discretion.