Do Shimano SPD road pedal clips fit on Mtn Bike shoes?

Old April 26th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Do Shimano SPD road pedal clips fit on Mtn Bike shoes?

I'm thinking of buying Shimano Ultegra PD-6620 SPD-SL Road Pedals...
I’m wondering if the cleats will fit my shoes. My shoes are diadora
Mtn bike shoes (because I like to be able to walk off the bike) circa
1997, and have about 1.5 inch wide recessed area for the cleats.

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the PD-6620 cleats that come with
the pedals, and if you know if they will fit shoes that have recessed
cleats?

If they will not fit my shoe, can you recommend a shoe that will allow
me to walk and still use these pedals?

Old April 26th 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
cal

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 09:48:39 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I'm thinking of buying Shimano Ultegra PD-6620 SPD-SL Road Pedals...
I’m wondering if the cleats will fit my shoes. My shoes are diadora
Mtn bike shoes (because I like to be able to walk off the bike) circa
1997, and have about 1.5 inch wide recessed area for the cleats.

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the PD-6620 cleats that come with
the pedals, and if you know if they will fit shoes that have recessed
cleats?

If they will not fit my shoe, can you recommend a shoe that will allow
me to walk and still use these pedals?

SPD-SL road pedal has a 3-bolt cleat, the shoe has to have three cleat
attachment screw holes. SPD mtn bike pedals have 2-bolt cleats. I
seem to recall having seen a shoe model or two which had both style
cleat mountings, but not recently and not in a prominent or popular
shoe brand. You might check Performance Bike or Bike Bashbar online
for such a thing. The answer to your first question is basically NO.
There was a shoe by LAKE brand that had big rubber cleats on the sole
that kept the cleat from touching the ground when you walk. It was
marketed as a touring shoe and if I recall correctly, it had the
3-bolt hole pattern for cleat attachment.

By the way, Speedplay Frog mtn bike pedals have a 2-bolt cleat and are
very popular with a lot of serious recreational road riders. Might
have a look at them. They will work well with your shoes.

Hope this helps.

Cal
Old April 26th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 26, 6:48*pm, wrote:
I'm thinking of buying Shimano Ultegra PD-6620 SPD-SL Road Pedals...
I’m wondering if the cleats will fit my shoes. *My shoes are diadora
Mtn bike shoes (because I like to be able to walk off the bike) circa
1997, and have about 1.5 inch wide recessed area for the cleats.

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the PD-6620 cleats that come with
the pedals, and if you know if they will fit shoes that have recessed
cleats?

If they will not fit my shoe, can you recommend a shoe that will allow
me to walk and still use these pedals?

SPD-SL type cleats will only work on a smooth sole shoe.

Those type pedals and cleats are not made to walk around. If you want
to walk around you need a different setup.

Lake makes some that supposedly work with Look cleats, but the whole
idea seems ridiculous:

http://www.lakecycling.com/ProductIn...roductid=CX120

I use Ultegra pedals on my road bike, but when I use that bike I do no
walking. On the bikes I do walking with, I use other pedal systems.

Joseph

Joseph
Old April 26th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Helmut Springer

Lou Holtman wrote:
What makes these pedals so special? If you want to walk use some
kind of ATB pedals. SPD, Time Atac, Speedplay Frogs etc. They are
all two sided as a bonus.

....anf if one wants a more "racing pedal" look there are still one
sided SPD and alike available.

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer panta rhei
Old April 26th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Price

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 19:21:03 +0200, Lou Holtman
wrote:

If they will not fit my shoe, can you recommend a shoe that will allow
me to walk and still use these pedals?

What makes these pedals so special? If you want to walk use some kind of
ATB pedals. SPD, Time Atac, Speedplay Frogs etc. They are all two sided
as a bonus.

Almost all. Shimano's A520:

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/pedals/road/product.-code-PD-A520.-type-pd_road.html

is single-sided.
Old April 26th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_2_]

wrote:

If they will not fit my shoe, can you recommend a shoe that will allow
me to walk and still use these pedals?

What makes these pedals so special? If you want to walk use some kind of
ATB pedals. SPD, Time Atac, Speedplay Frogs etc. They are all two sided
as a bonus.

Almost all. Shimano's A520:

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/pedals/road/product.-code-PD-A520.-type-pd_road.html

is single-sided.

If you decide for SPD it would be dumb to pick single sided.

Lou
Old April 26th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Price

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 22:30:43 +0200, Lou Holtman
wrote:

What makes these pedals so special? If you want to walk use some kind of
ATB pedals. SPD, Time Atac, Speedplay Frogs etc. They are all two sided
as a bonus.

Almost all. Shimano's A520:

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/pedals/road/product.-code-PD-A520.-type-pd_road.html

is single-sided.

If you decide for SPD it would be dumb to pick single sided.

That's your opinion. Others obviously do not agree, otherwise Shimano
wouldn't make them.
Old April 26th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_2_]

wrote:

What makes these pedals so special? If you want to walk use some kind of
ATB pedals. SPD, Time Atac, Speedplay Frogs etc. They are all two sided
as a bonus.
Almost all. Shimano's A520:

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/pedals/road/product.-code-PD-A520.-type-pd_road.html

is single-sided.

If you decide for SPD it would be dumb to pick single sided.

That's your opinion.

Of course.

Others obviously do not agree,

I can not think of a reason not to pick a two sided pedal.

otherwise Shimano
wouldn't make them.

hmm...

Lou
Old April 26th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

wrote:

What makes these pedals so special? If you want to walk use some kind of
ATB pedals. SPD, Time Atac, Speedplay Frogs etc. They are all two sided
as a bonus.
Almost all. Shimano's A520:

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/prod...

is single-sided.

If you decide for SPD it would be dumb to pick single sided.

I can not think of a reason not to pick a two sided pedal.

What about cornering / ground clearance? What about component quality
and overall cost? What about fewer moving parts to maintain? I don't
know if these are valid - just some thoughts that came to mind.

FS:RETRO VITTORIA ROAD SHOES FOR TOE CLIPS,SIZE 40,BLACK LEATHER [email protected] Marketplace 0 April 14th 06 10:24 PM
Regular shoes with Shimano PD-A520 SPD Pedal Dumb Newbie Techniques 8 May 14th 05 07:00 AM
FA Shimano Road Pedal Default UK 0 April 22nd 05 12:54 AM
FA: Top-end DMT R2 Road Shoes 44.0, NIB, NR..L@@K!!! PERFECT FOR SPEEDPLAY PEDAL USERS... [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 5th 05 06:00 PM
best shoes for Shimano M540 pedals for a *road/racing* bike use? Yuri Budilov Techniques 10 September 22nd 04 01:17 AM