"Klein" brake bridge thickness

Old December 13th 04, 04:02 AM

Default "Klein" brake bridge thickness

So: I am installing brakes on a Aluminum Schwinn built under license
from Klein, but find the 105 brake caliper bolt is too long in the
front. In rear, it is too short.And no, I don't have the front and rear
swapped. Would one (i.e. "I") need to install a shorter bolt in front
and longer in back, and if so is there a Klein standard? I suppose I
could shorten the front bolt and stick it on the rear, but that still
leaves us with adjusting the front size.
Every other bike I have worked on has managed to snuggle up to the same
sized caliper bolts. Any input gladly recieved.
Brian Plaugher
Guerneville, CA

Old December 13th 04, 04:30 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

So: I am installing brakes on a Aluminum Schwinn built under license
from Klein, but find the 105 brake caliper bolt is too long in the
front. In rear, it is too short.And no, I don't have the front and rear
swapped. Would one (i.e. "I") need to install a shorter bolt in front
and longer in back, and if so is there a Klein standard? I suppose I
could shorten the front bolt and stick it on the rear, but that still
leaves us with adjusting the front size.
Every other bike I have worked on has managed to snuggle up to the same
sized caliper bolts. Any input gladly recieved.

The early Schwinn aluminum road bikes had a number of interesting "features"
(of which the most-objectionable was the internal expanding seatpost). I
don't recall the brake bolt length issue, but I think you've probably
already figured out some of the options... using a short bolt on both front
& rear brakes, and if the short bolt is a bit too short on the front, then
you can use a longer nut to reach down to it. Also, I suspect if you brought
it into a decent LBS, they wouldn't have too tough a time figuring out a
solution.

In any event, it's not a "Klein standard", just happens to be the way
Schwinn did it back then.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com