Stress and cycling

Old March 8th 05, 02:13 AM
jj

Default Stress and cycling

Just got back from a minor surgical procedure at the doctor's office, and
beforehand I promised myself I'd ride afterwards. I was psyched to do so
because of the good weather. In addition this was going to be my reward
when I got the procedure over and done.

However about 1/2 hour after returning home I felt quite weak and could
detect a bit of unsteadiness. Very strange, especially since the procedure
should have had no effect on my cycling whatsoever. I didn't ride - also
very strange for me, because -nothing- keeps me from riding except
blizzards, floods and tornado warnings. ;-)

At first I couldn't figure it out. Then my wife reminded me that prior to
going in I was experiencing a very high stress level, thinking the
procedure might not be so minor.

Just goes to show you how much of an effect just plain mental stress can
have on your riding.

It also raises my awe at how pro-bikers can immediately get back on their
bike and ride after a crash. Though there might not be substantial injury,
just the mental stress of the event would leave many people unable to
continue. Though adrenaline can be your friend, too much can be a problem.

jj

Old March 8th 05, 03:00 AM
AustinMN

jj wrote:
It also raises my awe at how pro-bikers can immediately get back on their
bike and ride after a crash. Though there might not be substantial injury,
just the mental stress of the event would leave many people unable to
continue. Though adrenaline can be your friend, too much can be a problem.

Indeed. When about ten years old, I did an endo. Though nothing was wrong
with my bike, I chose to walk home. During the walk, a friend pointed out
that I was bleeding. In the ER (for stitches) I discovered I had a
green-stick break of my jaw (on both sides). The only explanation I can
find for not riding back must have been the shock that I didn't realize I
was in.

Austin
--
I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
There are no X characters in my address

Old March 8th 05, 05:42 AM
Bill H.

AustinMN wrote:

Indeed. When about ten years old, I did an endo. Though nothing was

wrong
with my bike, I chose to walk home. During the walk, a friend

pointed out
that I was bleeding. In the ER (for stitches) I discovered I had a
green-stick break of my jaw (on both sides). The only explanation I

can
find for not riding back must have been the shock that I didn't

realize I
was in.

Yeah, I snapped my collar bone on a bike when I was a kid. It was
strange, since I was out riding with my friend at the time. I crashed
into a parked car. Then I had no choice but to walk my bike back to my
house, a couple blocks away. My friend went with me and I even
remember us laughing on the way back like kids do. I went home, went
to bed, and went to the hospital the next day.

Of course, I had a lot of broken bones growing up - ten. I was always
in the wrong place at the wrong time.

-Bill H.

Old March 8th 05, 08:42 PM
Matt O'Toole

jj wrote:

It also raises my awe at how pro-bikers can immediately get back on
their bike and ride after a crash. Though there might not be
substantial injury, just the mental stress of the event would leave
many people unable to continue. Though adrenaline can be your friend,
too much can be a problem.

I think this is what separates pros from the rest of us. Everyone has setbacks.
Pros carry on regardless.

Matt O.

Old March 8th 05, 09:53 PM
Zoot Katz

Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:42:05 -0500, ,
"Matt O'Toole" wrote:

jj wrote:

It also raises my awe at how pro-bikers can immediately get back on
their bike and ride after a crash. Though there might not be
substantial injury, just the mental stress of the event would leave
many people unable to continue. Though adrenaline can be your friend,
too much can be a problem.

I think this is what separates pros from the rest of us. Everyone has setbacks.
Pros carry on regardless.

Well, maybe after a few cocktails.

I've ridden home both times after being smacked by scuds. Once with a
broken arm on a 3-spd loaner from the bike shop doing the repairs.

I rode home with a leg injury that left me unable to stand, sit or
walk for two weeks though I rode almost every day during that
"recovery" period.

I don't buy prescription drugs but might use 222 if the pain is
keeping me awake.
--
zk
Old March 10th 05, 06:53 PM
Bill H.

Yep. I think when you're forced to rely on yourself, you surprise
yourself with what you're capable of. I'm thinking about that guy who
had to cut his arm off with a dull knife to dislodge himself from a
boulder he was trapped behind. Now THAT would be tough!

Of course, for pro riders I think there might be a kind of pride and
machismo that comes into it where you don't want to let someone see
that you're hurt. Just a thought.

-Bill H.

Old March 18th 05, 07:26 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old March 18th 05, 09:38 PM
bbaka

Booker C. Bense wrote:

_ I don't know how much you've crashed, but for the most part
it's fairly easy to get up and ride away. Most crashes happen so
fast that you don't have time to get really anxious about it. It
takes a couple hours for the pain to really set in. To me the
amazing part is riding the next day. I've probably crashed at
least a dozen times over the years and the part I dread the most
is taking the shower when you get home and sleeping the first
night.

_ I raced for a few years in my youth and for the most part I
find watching other people crash to leave more mental scars.
That and the near misses seem to stick more in my memory.
Crashing is part of the sport and by the time you get to be
a pro, you've done enough to be blase about it. It's the ones
they don't ride away from that cause the mental anquish ( i.e.
Beloki ).

_ Booker C. Bense

Beloki was definitely out with a broken femur and Hamilton could have
been but showed amazing determination to finish as well as he did.

And yes, the shower does remind you of how bad you did during the day,
both crashing a bike and after a really bad sunburn. Been there, done
that, road rash but no broken bones from a bike crash, sunburn from
first day on the boat and too much fun to think about sun.

Live life until you can't. Let the dust gather on the television, not
the bike.
Bill Baka
Old March 19th 05, 03:54 AM
Tom Sherman

Bill Baka wrote:

And yes, the shower does remind you of how bad you did during the day,
both crashing a bike and after a really bad sunburn. Been there, done
that, road rash but no broken bones from a bike crash, sunburn from
first day on the boat and too much fun to think about sun....

Pepper spray on the skin feels only mildly warm until one gets into the
shower, then it gets hot.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)