Shimano 8 speed hub & dyno hub/roller brakes - any user info welcome

Old September 26th 04, 04:08 AM
petal puss

Default Shimano 8 speed hub & dyno hub/roller brakes - any user info welcome

Can anyone who uses these tell me if there are any problems with
Shimano 8 speed gear and roller brake hub,shimano dynamo hub and
roller brake in long distance road use. Is the lowest gear low enough
for a 1 in 10 hill and are the brakes adequate for a similar gradient?
Are they ok for trailer towing? I am putting together a touring bike
for a 'round-Austrlia'trip of about 12 months duration and the load on
the bike and trailer is anticipated to be about about 150kg. Any
thoughts or ideas most welcome.
Thanks
Nick, Australia
Old September 27th 04, 01:39 AM
Poiter

petal puss Wrote:
I am putting together a touring bike
for a 'round-Austrlia'trip of about 12 months duration and the load on
the bike and trailer is anticipated to be about about 150kg. Any
thoughts or ideas most welcome.

Carry less stuff.......

Pet

--
Poiter

Old September 27th 04, 02:40 AM
flyingdutch

petal puss Wrote:
Can anyone who uses these tell me if there are any problems wit
Shimano 8 speed gear and roller brake hub,shimano dynamo hub an
roller brake in long distance road use. Is the lowest gear low enoug
for a 1 in 10 hill and are the brakes adequate for a similar gradient
Are they ok for trailer towing? I am putting together a touring bik
for a 'round-Austrlia'trip of about 12 months duration and the load o
the bike and trailer is anticipated to be about about 150kg. An
thoughts or ideas most welcome
Thank
Nick, Australia

presumably you are going the hubgear route for lower maintenance
yeah?
pro's and cons. weight. gear range is 'OK' but if you are hauling s
much stuff you are probably gonna want smaller than bigger.
Can you stretch to a Rohloff? pricey but lighter and better geared.
If you can get in contact with Alan Christie or someone form th
touring clubs (melbourne -MBTC - http://www.mbtc.org.au/ or simila
org if is not near you

--
flyingdutc

Old September 27th 04, 03:34 AM
Bikesoiler

petal puss Wrote:

I am putting together a touring bike
for a 'round-Austrlia'trip of about 12 months duration and the load on
the bike and trailer is anticipated to be about about 150kg. Any
thoughts or ideas most welcome.
Thanks
Nick, Australia

I hope that 150kg includes your body weight..... & you're 'big boned'
Slow trip otherwise.

A BoB trailer handles fine with ~25kgs. I second the Rohloff ove
Shimano

--
Bikesoiler

Old September 27th 04, 06:42 AM
Mike

petal puss wrote:
Can anyone who uses these tell me if there are any problems with
Shimano 8 speed gear and roller brake hub,shimano dynamo hub and

The 8-speed hub gear has a 307% range. About the same as a mountain
bike or tourer's rear cassette. But you'll be stuck in one chainring,
so only have half the overall range.

Is the lowest gear low enough
for a 1 in 10 hill ... 150kg. Any

!!! Only if you have a ting chainring, and top speed of 25km/hr.
I'd want a very low gear to haul 150kg up 10% for any length of time.

thoughts or ideas most welcome.

Carry less. Reconsider conventional derailer gears, unless you can
afford the Rohloff.

good luck
Old September 28th 04, 10:02 AM
Peter Signorini

"petal puss" wrote in message
m...
I am putting together a touring bike
for a 'round-Austrlia'trip of about 12 months duration and the load on
the bike and trailer is anticipated to be about about 150kg. Any
thoughts or ideas most welcome.

The standard load that most tourers carry on a long bush tour is usually
around 40kg max. Friends of mine who rode the Gunbarrel Hwy from Uluru to
Wiluna (not for the family tourist) took an extra 30kgs of water and had to
limit other gear, but still wouldn't have exceeded 60kgs.

What unusual extras are you carrying that adds up to 150kg? A portable
generator?

150 kgs up 1 in 10 grades - good luck. Glad I'm not hauling it.

Cheers
Peter

Old September 28th 04, 09:38 PM
kingsley

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:08:44 -0700, petal puss wrote:

Can anyone who uses these tell me if there are any problems with
Shimano 8 speed gear and roller brake hub,shimano dynamo hub and
roller brake in long distance road use. Is the lowest gear low enough
for a 1 in 10 hill and are the brakes adequate for a similar gradient?
Are they ok for trailer towing? I am putting together a touring bike
for a 'round-Austrlia'trip of about 12 months duration and the load on
the bike and trailer is anticipated to be about about 150kg. Any
thoughts or ideas most welcome.

I'd ring Adam at Cheeky Monkey in Sydney. They build 'city-bike' bikes
put together with the shimano hubs, and supposedly sell quite a few
Rolholfs. There's also a Sturmey-Archer(sp?/wrong?) 8 speed hub on
the market too.

What sort of trailer are you talking about ?

Don't forget some excellent brakes, stopping that lot down
a hill in the wet is going to require something serious.
I wouldn't want to rely on a hub brake only. What's a 1/10
hill as a percentage gradient anyway? (10%? I thought it was
more complicated than that). We once hit the wrong direction on
a 20% hill, luckily it was only short, but it took two of us
to push the bike with the kids in the trailer to the top.

-kt

Old September 30th 04, 08:59 AM
petal puss

Thanks for all the help so far. To clarify a few points......
I am 6ft 4in and weigh 100kg and the other 50kg is for the trailer and
load. I'm getting a custom frame made as I find conventional frames
too small for my height. Sounds like the Shimano gear hub doesn't have
a big enough range and the rohloff is the way to go.

I hope to have a trailer built out of light steel with 26inch wheels
and be able to slot in a large esky for a waterproof storage unit. I
have seen gooseneck trailers coming off the main frame behine/below
the seat, not off the rear 'axle'. They seem very manoueverable and
well-balanced.

Further thoughts????????????
Nick
Old September 30th 04, 09:58 AM
Terry Collins

Default Trailers, was ....e

petal puss wrote:

I hope to have a trailer built out of light steel with 26inch wheels
and be able to slot in a large esky for a waterproof storage unit. I
have seen gooseneck trailers coming off the main frame behine/below
the seat, not off the rear 'axle'. They seem very manoueverable and
well-balanced.

50Kg throwing your bicycle about at the seat post doesn't sound too
controllable to me. I recently had a lot of trouble with 50kg getting a
wobble up on a bob style trailer. My suggestion is a two wheel trailer
with a gooseneck to near the bottom left axle, or a bob style connection
to both axles/rear dropouts.

Unless this is for a beer trailer, you might also like to look at
galvanised tradesman tool boxes.
Old October 1st 04, 01:13 AM
Bikesoiler

petal puss Wrote:
Thanks for all the help so far. To clarify a few points......
I am 6ft 4in and weigh 100kg and the other 50kg is for the trailer and
load. I'm getting a custom frame made as I find conventional frames
too small for my height. Sounds like the Shimano gear hub doesn't have
a big enough range and the rohloff is the way to go.

I hope to have a trailer built out of light steel with 26inch wheels
and be able to slot in a large esky for a waterproof storage unit. I
have seen gooseneck trailers coming off the main frame behine/below
the seat, not off the rear 'axle'. They seem very manoueverable and
well-balanced.

Further thoughts????????????
Nick

I don't like the idea of a high mount trailer, but I 'spose the traile
bikes tow OK. They are single wheel like a BoB though.
A BoB trailer is rated to 32kg & I'm sure could carry a bit more o
good roads. Can you trim your load down

--
Bikesoiler

7 Speed Shimano Wheels Paul Cassel Techniques 11 August 14th 05 02:28 AM
Dura Ace Triple RP10128 Techniques 17 March 31st 05 04:42 AM
Shimano 8 speed to 9 speed Paul Nevai Techniques 10 October 11th 04 06:18 AM
9 speed shifters/cassettes upgrade for 8 speed Shimano 600 hub FJS Techniques 18 October 4th 04 05:50 AM
FS: 8 speed Shimano 105 STI, ders, cass, chain, brakes Rodney Marketplace 0 August 25th 04 11:29 PM