Going to be my latest purchase.

Old October 10th 11, 06:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
James[_8_]

Default Going to be my latest purchase.

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 20:54:36 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

James wrote:

Someday someone will have a bright idea to make flat bar extensions that
turn them into drop bars ;-)

that is so 1994:
http://www.kinetics.org.uk/assets/im...3_07_small.jpg
Product was called 'Newk Bar'

Welcome to about 2008.
http://www.origin-8.com/?page_id=91&short_code=Drop+Ends&cl1=HANDLEBAR+ACC ESSORY
$15 to $30 per pair.

Not a bad attempt, provided you mount a brake hood at least, though I'd
prefer to have actual working brakes in the hoods.

--
JS.
Old October 10th 11, 06:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Chalo

James wrote:

landotter wrote:

James wrote:

Again with the personal preference, I'd want handle bars that offer
various hand positions. *Drop bars are the ticket. *Fitting the controls
from that bike to drop bars might prove a challenge.

Trekking bars offer tons of hand positions and use strong and
inexpensive mtb components. Using drop bars on utility bikes is a
strange affectation.

BTW, dropbars on a MTB is not strange to everyone..

http://twentynineinches.com/2010/05/...f-road-on-set-...

And what is a "utility bike"? *Something to do the shopping with?
Carrying stuff on racks? *A touring bike is not much different, yet
those in the touring club I used to ride with all used dropbars.

Did you look at the link to the Trek bike in question? My words for
using drop bars on such a bike would be a lot less charitable than
"strange affectation".

Chalo
Old October 10th 11, 09:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Peter Howard[_3_]

landotter wrote:
On Oct 9, 4:08 pm, James wrote:
Harry Brogan wrote:
I'll be heading down to pick bike up the first of the week. I was
wondering if anyone out there had any experience with this ride or
if some people had any suggestions as to what additions might be
needed.

I mean suggestions besides the usual lighting and safety
suggestions.

THANKS GUYS!!!!! ((and Gals))
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes.../transport/tra...

Lights, if you want to ride at night or in poor weather.

Pump, tool kit, spare inner tubes and/or puncture repair kit.

I like shoes designed for riding, so clipless pedals. Probably double
sided SPD, or SPD one side and platform the other. It's a personal
preference decision.

Again with the personal preference, I'd want handle bars that offer
various hand positions. Drop bars are the ticket. Fitting the
controls from that bike to drop bars might prove a challenge.

Trekking bars offer tons of hand positions and use strong and
inexpensive mtb components. Using drop bars on utility bikes is a
strange affectation.

Nitto North Road or Albatross bars or their cheaper Wald/Pyramid equivalent on
Amazon.com
PH

Old October 10th 11, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
landotter

On Oct 10, 3:17*am, "Peter Howard" wrote:
landotter wrote:
On Oct 9, 4:08 pm, James wrote:
Harry Brogan wrote:
[...]

Cheap enough to try. IMHO, the Walds are super nice for regular city
bike--fifteen bucks gets you as tough and handsome of a bar as you'll
ever need. That said--I've really enjoyed a wider bar when I'v ridden
longtails. A regular flat bar with the sweep pointed slightly up
towards the rider works well, and comes stock. The extra-wide Surly
Torsion bar, if you're hauling major loads like passengers, is also
good, but at a premium price.
Old October 10th 11, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
landotter

On Oct 9, 8:54*pm, AMuzi wrote:
James wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Harry Brogan:
suggestions as to what additions might be needed.

I like sound of the flip-flop dropouts.

"Needed" is probably the wrong word, but once you start riding it
maybe think about handlebar extensions - the ones that curve
inwards. * I mount mine canted slightly downwards and wrapped
with handlebar tape/

I find a number of comfortable hand positions with them. *Not
quite as comfortable as riding on hoods but close enough and with
more variety.

They are also convenient for climbing hills out of the saddle or
going a little aero into a wind.

Someday someone will have a bright idea to make flat bar extensions that
turn them into drop bars ;-)

that is so 1994:http://www.kinetics.org.uk/assets/im...3_07_small.jpg

I love watching the fighting games of the Newks in spring, as they vie
for fertile Motobecanes.
Old October 10th 11, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Dan O

On Oct 9, 8:08*pm, James wrote:
landotter wrote:
On Oct 9, 8:21 pm, James wrote:
landotter wrote:
On Oct 9, 4:08 pm, James wrote:
Harry Brogan wrote:
[...]
Please define "tons".

Seems the Cyclocross folks do plenty of trekking with bikes equipped
with drop bars too.

and use strong and
inexpensive mtb components.
True, however I've not broken a STI lever yet.

Using drop bars on utility bikes is a
strange affectation.
Maybe. *I like to think outside the box and it does not mean the
suggestion I made may not be useful and worth considering.

It's fairly useless. Drops on a longtail are dumb as hell, as you need
the leverage of a wide bar.

Please, do tell what you are levering against? *Why is this leverage
necessary on a longtail and not a fully loaded touring bike?

weight

snip
Old October 10th 11, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
James[_8_]

Chalo wrote:
James wrote:
landotter wrote:
James wrote:
Again with the personal preference, I'd want handle bars that offer
various hand positions. Drop bars are the ticket. Fitting the controls
from that bike to drop bars might prove a challenge.
Trekking bars offer tons of hand positions and use strong and
inexpensive mtb components. Using drop bars on utility bikes is a
strange affectation.

BTW, dropbars on a MTB is not strange to everyone..

http://twentynineinches.com/2010/05/...f-road-on-set-...

And what is a "utility bike"? Something to do the shopping with?
Carrying stuff on racks? A touring bike is not much different, yet
those in the touring club I used to ride with all used dropbars.

Did you look at the link to the Trek bike in question?

Yes.

My words for
using drop bars on such a bike would be a lot less charitable than
"strange affectation".

Opinions are like arse holes, everybody has got one.

--
JS.
Old October 10th 11, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
James[_8_]

Dan O wrote:
On Oct 9, 8:08 pm, James wrote:
landotter wrote:
On Oct 9, 8:21 pm, James wrote:
landotter wrote:
On Oct 9, 4:08 pm, James wrote:
Harry Brogan wrote:
[...]

I am waiting ;-)

I never needed extra wide bars on my touring bike when fully packed for
a week of camping.

--
JS.
Old October 11th 11, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

James wrote:
Dan O wrote:
On Oct 9, 8:08 pm, James wrote:
landotter wrote:

It's fairly useless. Drops on a longtail are dumb as hell, as you need
the leverage of a wide bar.
Please, do tell what you are levering against? Why is this leverage
necessary on a longtail and not a fully loaded touring bike?

weight

I am waiting ;-)

I never needed extra wide bars on my touring bike when fully packed for
a week of camping.

I think it may have to do with the slower response of a very long
wheelbase. To make up for the slower response, you have to input more
steering motion while balancing at low speeds.

I've done only a short test ride on a longtail cargo bike, but I've done
many miles on a tandem. Our tandem has drop bars. At very slow speeds,
I have to put some muscle into steering - much more than on my loaded
touring bike.

In fact, on two occasions I broke front spokes on the tandem while
balancing slow and turning sharply in parking lots.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 11th 11, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
James[_8_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
James wrote:
Dan O wrote:
On Oct 9, 8:08 pm, James wrote:
landotter wrote:

[...]

That is quite understandable. Twice as much weight as a regular bike,
probably on much wider tyres with a bigger contact patch.

(My touring bike had Michelin World Tour tyres, 32mm wide, and a loaded
front rack and handlebar bag, FWIW.)

Still, wide drop bars are available. I see up to 48cm from a quick google.

--
JS.

My latest purchase loosejello Unicycling 5 September 29th 05 02:02 AM
looking to purchase HRM EKG gel? D T W .../\\... Mountain Biking 3 May 24th 04 11:49 PM
Help with a new purchase bfra1 Australia 25 December 3rd 03 09:40 AM
Help with purchase Techniques 4 September 4th 03 03:31 PM
Help with purchase Racing 2 September 4th 03 06:11 AM