Idea for future of electronic gear shift. Beware, contains actual"tech" content.

Old August 7th 12, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

Default Idea for future of electronic gear shift. Beware, contains actual"tech" content.

On 7/25/2012 8:53 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 25-7-2012 2:14, DirtRoadie schreef:
On Jul 24, 5:51 pm, thirty-six wrote:
On Jul 25, 12:03 am, James wrote:

On 25/07/12 08:32, thirty-six wrote:

my Time shoes are trimmed in red and go really well. They are heavy
as are the pedals yet I can turn them at 240rpm.

Correction: i did turn the cranks at 240rpm.

The older you get the faster you were?
Uh, yeah, that's the ticket!

OK, folks, what is a realistic figure for ACTUAL upper end cadence/
RPM?
Does Guiness have an entry?

DR

There was an article in TOUR magazin this month about optimal cadance.
For most people this lies between 90-100 rpm. Uphill about 73 rpm and
sprint 120 rpm. 240 rpm is ridiculous.
Form me I am in my comfortzone around 93 rpm on flat terrain, 70 uphill
and I'm a lousy sprinter.

I like to climb at 110-120 rpm with 170-mm cranks (faster for shorter
cranks). With the same 170-mm cranks, I spin out at around 160-165 rpm
(while clipped in).

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
Post Free or Die!
Old August 7th 12, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 7/23/2012 7:41 AM, Duane wrote:
On 07/23/2012 08:34 AM, thirty-six wrote:
On Monday, 23 July 2012 12:30:27 UTC+1, Duane Hebert wrote:

snip
My bike was in the shop this weekend and the LBS lent me one for my ride
yesterday. I ride a Tarmac Elite. They lent me a Tarmac Expert.
Pretty much the same bike but a lighter frame and lighter equipment.
Maybe 1500kg lighter. I didn't measure it exactly. Did a 127k
ride

Obviously should be 1500g.
[...]

And I was thinking the Tarmac Elite was carved from an iridium billet.

Old August 7th 12, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 7/24/2012 2:54 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
[...]
What I discovered after making the change that was in this exact
scenario, the ability to be fully and securely clipped in as soon as
my foot was on the pedal meant I could sprint much harder up to speed,
and take advantage of shorter breaks in the traffic.
That actually turns out to be just about the only time I really pull
up (unless I've crocked one of my knees again, and have to ride home
single legged).

BTDT with SPuDs. Do not think it would have worked with flat leather
soles and loose straps.

So I use the firm retention capability much more now
than I did in my clips&straps days, or to put it another way, in 75%
of the times when a tight strap would have been useful to me, it
wasn't available, as I hadn't had opportunity to tighten it yet.

For traffic jamming, it made a significant difference to me.

Choice is yours. Far be it from me to try to talk you out of
using them.

Thanks. Obviously, I'm happy with my system.

That is the main thing, but it certainly doesn't work on a 'bent

Few things are more horrid than clips and straps on a 'bent. Unless it
is a trike, then they work fine (ignoring the float and tight strap
across the foot issues).

Old August 7th 12, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert

On 8/6/2012 9:17 PM, Tom $herman (-_-) wrote:
On 7/23/2012 7:41 AM, Duane wrote:
On 07/23/2012 08:34 AM, thirty-six wrote:
On Monday, 23 July 2012 12:30:27 UTC+1, Duane Hebert wrote:

snip
My bike was in the shop this weekend and the LBS lent me one for my
ride
yesterday. I ride a Tarmac Elite. They lent me a Tarmac Expert.
Pretty much the same bike but a lighter frame and lighter equipment.
Maybe 1500kg lighter. I didn't measure it exactly. Did a 127k
ride

Obviously should be 1500g.
[...]

And I was thinking the Tarmac Elite was carved from an iridium billet.

Took you a while to comment on that one. :-)