The Jubilee Greenway

Old October 3rd 09, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default The Jubilee Greenway

To celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012, the Queen has
commanded Hugo Vickers Esq. to create a 60Km cycling route linking all
9 Central London Olympic venues.

Today I cycled the route.

I estimate that 80% of the route is free from motor traffic, and only
about 2% is on main roads.

Photos he
http://www.britishschoolofcycling.co...bilee/real.htm

GPS track he
www.britishschoolofcycling.com/gps/
-right click 'jubilee.gpx'
-left click 'save target as...'
Save to a suitable directory
Open Google Earth
-left click 'File'
-left click 'Open'
In 'Files of type:' select 'Gps (*.gpx,*.loc,*.mps)'
Locate the directory where you saved 'jubilee.gpx'
Open the file.
Old October 4th 09, 07:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 3 Oct, 23:24, Tom Crispin
wrote:
To celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012, the Queen has
commanded Hugo Vickers Esq. to create a 60Km cycling route linking all
9 Central London Olympic venues.

Today I cycled the route.

I estimate that 80% of the route is free from motor traffic, and only
about 2% is on main roads.

How much of it is free of pedestrians and why would I want to cycle
among Olympic venues anyway? Wouldn't the money be better spent
improving the roads for cyclists and putting in a proper river
crossing for non-motorised traffic in place of the wretched Greenwich
pedestrian tunnel and the fume-filled Rotherhithe tunnel?

Isn't the Queen's scheme just a tokenistic palliative for London's
unfortunate and much deprived cyclists and yet another bind for
pedestrians while allowing drivers to be speeded-up even more in an
almost bicycle free environment?

--
Car Free Cities
http://www.carfree.com/
Old October 4th 09, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 23:01:47 -0700 (PDT), Doug
wrote:

On 3 Oct, 23:24, Tom Crispin
wrote:
To celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012, the Queen has
commanded Hugo Vickers Esq. to create a 60Km cycling route linking all
9 Central London Olympic venues.

Today I cycled the route.

I estimate that 80% of the route is free from motor traffic, and only
about 2% is on main roads.

How much of it is free of pedestrian

20%

and why would I want to cycle
among Olympic venues anyway?

You are the only one who can answer that question.

Wouldn't the money be better spent
improving the roads for cyclists and putting in a proper river
crossing for non-motorised traffic in place of the wretched Greenwich
pedestrian tunnel and the fume-filled Rotherhithe tunnel?

A commemorative plaque or paving stone every Km would cost, say, £500.
60 of them, to cover the whole route, would cost about £30,000.
£30,000 would buy about 15 cm of tunnel.

Isn't the Queen's scheme just a tokenistic palliative for London's
unfortunate and much deprived cyclists and yet another bind for
pedestrians while allowing drivers to be speeded-up even more in an
almost bicycle free environment?

Maybe. But it makes for a lovely day out - you should try it.
Old October 4th 09, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian[_8_]

"Doug" wrote in message
On 3 Oct, 23:24, Tom Crispin
wrote:
To celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012, the Queen has
commanded Hugo Vickers Esq. to create a 60Km cycling route linking
all
9 Central London Olympic venues.

Today I cycled the route.

I estimate that 80% of the route is free from motor traffic, and
only
about 2% is on main roads.

How much of it is free of pedestrians and why would I want to cycle
among Olympic venues anyway?

Much more to the point - why would any Olympic venue wish to have YOU
attending?

Old October 4th 09, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Ian wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message
On 3 Oct, 23:24, Tom Crispin
wrote:
To celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012, the Queen has
commanded Hugo Vickers Esq. to create a 60Km cycling route linking
all
9 Central London Olympic venues.

Today I cycled the route.

I estimate that 80% of the route is free from motor traffic, and
only
about 2% is on main roads.

How much of it is free of pedestrians and why would I want to cycle
among Olympic venues anyway?

Much more to the point - why would any Olympic venue wish to have YOU
attending?

Perhaps there could be an Olympic sport for him, any suggestions?

--

Tony Dragon
Old October 4th 09, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Wm...

Sat, 3 Oct 2009 23:24:43
uk.rec.cycling Tom Crispin

To celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012, the Queen has
commanded Hugo Vickers Esq. to create a 60Km cycling route linking all
9 Central London Olympic venues.

Today I cycled the route.

I estimate that 80% of the route is free from motor traffic, and only
about 2% is on main roads.

Photos he
http://www.britishschoolofcycling.co...bilee/real.htm

Nice. Thanks, Tom.

My caption competition entry is for the Horseguards Parade pic:

man in foreground: "bloody tourists, so many of them you can't see"

--
Wm...
Old October 5th 09, 07:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 4 Oct, 08:20, Tom Crispin
wrote:
On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 23:01:47 -0700 (PDT), Doug
wrote:

On 3 Oct, 23:24, Tom Crispin
wrote:
To celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012, the Queen has
commanded Hugo Vickers Esq. to create a 60Km cycling route linking all
9 Central London Olympic venues.

Today I cycled the route.

I estimate that 80% of the route is free from motor traffic, and only
about 2% is on main roads.

How much of it is free of pedestrian

20%

So not much then. Is this cycle only paths free from cars too?

and why would I want to cycle
among Olympic venues anyway?

You are the only one who can answer that question.

As someone who dislikes jingoism and prefers cooperation to
competition, I regard the Olympics as an appalling waste of money just
for two weeks and a major inconvenience to Londoners during an
economic downturn when many are predicted to suffer from future cut-
backs.

Wouldn't the money be better spent
improving the roads for cyclists and putting in a proper river
crossing for non-motorised traffic in place of the wretched Greenwich
pedestrian tunnel and the fume-filled Rotherhithe tunnel?

A commemorative plaque or paving stone every Km would cost, say, £500.
60 of them, to cover the whole route, would cost about £30,000.
£30,000 would buy about 15 cm of tunnel.

So it IS just tokenistic.

Isn't the Queen's scheme just a tokenistic palliative for London's
unfortunate and much deprived cyclists and yet another bind for
pedestrians while allowing drivers to be speeded-up even more in an
almost bicycle free environment?

Maybe. *But it makes for a lovely day out - you should try it.

Think I'll stick to risking my life on the main roads thank you,
instead of being encouraged not to impede motorists by a plethora of
cheap and silly cyclist schemes which ignore the main causes of the
problem.

Old October 5th 09, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 23:13:41 -0700 (PDT), Doug
wrote:

On 4 Oct, 08:20, Tom Crispin
wrote:
On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 23:01:47 -0700 (PDT), Doug
wrote:

On 3 Oct, 23:24, Tom Crispin
wrote:
To celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012, the Queen has
commanded Hugo Vickers Esq. to create a 60Km cycling route linking all
9 Central London Olympic venues.

Today I cycled the route.

I estimate that 80% of the route is free from motor traffic, and only
about 2% is on main roads.

How much of it is free of pedestrian

20%

So not much then. Is this cycle only paths free from cars too?

No. See above. 80% motor traffic free, 20% pedestrian free.

and why would I want to cycle
among Olympic venues anyway?

You are the only one who can answer that question.

As someone who dislikes jingoism and prefers cooperation to
competition, I regard the Olympics as an appalling waste of money just
for two weeks and a major inconvenience to Londoners during an
economic downturn when many are predicted to suffer from future cut-
backs.

Do you expect the economic downturn to last another 34 months?

I suggest that the current economic downturn in Stratford and east
London would be considerably worse if the Olympic Park was not being
built.

Wouldn't the money be better spent
improving the roads for cyclists and putting in a proper river
crossing for non-motorised traffic in place of the wretched Greenwich
pedestrian tunnel and the fume-filled Rotherhithe tunnel?

A commemorative plaque or paving stone every Km would cost, say, £500.
60 of them, to cover the whole route, would cost about £30,000.
£30,000 would buy about 15 cm of tunnel.

So it IS just tokenistic.

I am sure you know about the 'missing link' in the Thames cycle route,
just downstream of the Thames Barrier. It is the bit where cyclists
on NCR1 are flung onto the A206. Being part of the Queen's Jubilee
Greenway means that there is a real possibility of the landowners
consenting to a path.

Isn't the Queen's scheme just a tokenistic palliative for London's
unfortunate and much deprived cyclists and yet another bind for
pedestrians while allowing drivers to be speeded-up even more in an
almost bicycle free environment?

Maybe. *But it makes for a lovely day out - you should try it.

Think I'll stick to risking my life on the main roads thank you,
instead of being encouraged not to impede motorists by a plethora of
cheap and silly cyclist schemes which ignore the main causes of the
problem.

What problem do you think the Jubilee Greenway is designed to fix?

I do not see it as a problem fixing idea. I see it as a great idea to
get more people enjoying cycling around London.

Again, I say... You should try it. Perhaps you would even enjoy it,
instead of scowling at all those darn motorists clogging up our other
cycle routes.
Old October 5th 09, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On 5 Oct, 07:47, Tom Crispin
wrote:
On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 23:13:41 -0700 (PDT), Doug
wrote:

On 4 Oct, 08:20, Tom Crispin
wrote:
On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 23:01:47 -0700 (PDT), Doug

Old October 5th 09, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jeremy Parker

What problem do you think the Jubilee Greenway is designed to fix?

I do not see it as a problem fixing idea. I see it as a great idea
get more people enjoying cycling around London.

Again, I say... You should try it. Perhaps you would even enjoy
it,
instead of scowling at all those darn motorists clogging up our
other
cycle routes.

Tom's advice to go and inspect the route seems like a sound idea,
which I fully intend to follow, when I get round to it. That may be
a while, actually, because I am quite capable of enjoying cycling up
here at the top end of Barnet. Anyway, its raining today.

For about forty years now people have been trying to encourage
cycling by saying, "Cycling is difficult and dangerous, but it is
your duty to do it anyway, to save the planet." Then they wonder
why, as a result, cycling goes down and down.

I claim the only valid reason for cycling is because it's fun. If
it's not fun, you are doing it wrong.

If you are doing it wrong, don't just bitch, get your problem fixed.
Go along to an instructor. Cycling instruction in London, and
probably all Britain, is the best in the world right now, better than
it has ever been anywhere before.

Get your instruction in soon, because as soon as the militant
motorists discover how much instruction is a nail in the coffin to
their case - that cyclists shouldn't be on the road - the sooner
there will be a crackdown

If you are too cheap to use an instructor (difficult, since it's
often free) at least borrow a copy of Cyclecraft from the library.

Jeremy Parker