axle cone compatibility 9.5 mm 26 tpi vs 3/8 standard?

Old February 1st 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default axle cone compatibility 9.5 mm 26 tpi vs 3/8 standard?

Bought some nice new cones to fit my 3/8 solid axle hub bike.

The bag said these were threaded for 9.5 mm 26 tpi. I tried threading
them onto three different sets of 3/8 standard solid axles but the
cones screw on about three revolutions and come up tight?

I thought 3/8 and 9.5 mm 26 TPI cones and axles were interchangeable?
Old February 1st 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

anonymous wrote:
Bought some nice new cones to fit my 3/8 solid axle hub bike.

The bag said these were threaded for 9.5 mm 26 tpi. I tried threading
them onto three different sets of 3/8 standard

"Standard?" don't use adjectives where numbers are called for.

solid axles but the
cones screw on about three revolutions and come up tight?

I thought 3/8 and 9.5 mm 26 TPI cones and axles were interchangeable?

They are, but maybe your axles are 24 tpi, this is also a "standard."

It's also not impossible that the nuts don't match the label on the bag,
almost everybody makes mistakes.

Shelden "Nevre Mackes Misteaks" Browne
+------------------------------------+
| Love truth, but pardon error. |
| --Voltaire |
+------------------------------------+
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old February 1st 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 12:16:19 -0500, Sheldon Brown
wrote:

anonymous wrote:
Bought some nice new cones to fit my 3/8 solid axle hub bike.

The bag said these were threaded for 9.5 mm 26 tpi. I tried threading
them onto three different sets of 3/8 standard

"Standard?" don't use adjectives where numbers are called for.

solid axles but the
cones screw on about three revolutions and come up tight?

I thought 3/8 and 9.5 mm 26 TPI cones and axles were interchangeable?

They are, but maybe your axles are 24 tpi, this is also a "standard."

I took these cones to a couple different bike shops and they would not
fit any of the cheapy 3/8 axle sets.

It's also not impossible that the nuts don't match the label on the bag,
almost everybody makes mistakes.

That is a scary thought, I could spend all kinds of money special
ordering 9.5 mm 26 TPI axles, lock nuts and track nuts only to find
out I had 24 TPI cones!

Do you know of any any Cinderella hubs out there that use 24 TPI
threaded 3/8 axles to test this theory out on?

Old February 1st 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 01 Feb 2006 10:16:56 EST, anonymous wrote:

Bought some nice new cones to fit my 3/8 solid axle hub bike.

The bag said these were threaded for 9.5 mm 26 tpi. I tried threading
them onto three different sets of 3/8 standard solid axles but the
cones screw on about three revolutions and come up tight?

I thought 3/8 and 9.5 mm 26 TPI cones and axles were interchangeable?

If the 3/8 axles are really 3/8-24, which is a "standard" thread used
on common fine-thread nuts and bolts, then the complete axle
assemblies with cones, locknuts and axle nuts are interchangeable with
9.5mm. The components individually are not. There's also a 3/8-26
axle, which is dimensionally equivalent to 9.525-26; that's close
enough to allow the individual bits to be swapped as well as the
complete assemblies. From the sound of it, your old unit is 3/8-24.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old February 1st 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

anonymous wrote:
[...]

Here's a novel thought ... Why don't you use a thread pitch gauge
and see what your axle is? Or, you could take a more brute force
approach - measure 1" and count the threads. That's plenty accurate
enough to distinguish between 24 and 26tpi.

Or, you can go to this page:

http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-in...IandPitch.aspx

and print out a layover thread pitch gauge, or, use the link there to
purchase one of their ultra cheap thread pitch gauges ($1.50 !).
Getting real thread pitch gauges, which would cost less than $10, is
well worth the money. You say you are worried about spending "lots
of money". It's all relative ;-)

Here's a nice blurb on bikes and thread pitches:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=89

If you want to get the real thing, you will need two thread pitch
gauges - one English and one Metric. Here's an English set from
Snap-On (for less than $10 !!! - nothing costs less than $10 from
them):

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools...e=snapon-store

and, here is decent metric measuring set ($7.95) which measures
diameters as well:

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...&item_id=IR-MM

Please measure safely!!!

Old February 1st 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

no guages here. we have a box of used axle parts:this is called the
axle parts box
when necessary, i spend an hour fitting parts to an axle for one stupid
reason or ...
yeah. i find a 9mm axle(or parts?) takes a 3/8ths part but
convieniently forget which does what.
enter thread percentage-the amount the male thread fills the female
thread gap.
seems that looser tolerances (lower %) such as those available from
Ford would not fit on tiwainese made parts ordered and designed by
germans
anyway-if it wobbles it's no good ummmless you gotta and then use red
loctite keeping an eye on it as a temporary fixture.
seems that well made hi percentage parts are not inertchangable

Old February 1st 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 1 Feb 2006 13:25:39 -0800, wrote:

no guages here. we have a box of used axle parts:this is called the
axle parts box
when necessary, i spend an hour fitting parts to an axle for one stupid
reason or ...
yeah. i find a 9mm axle(or parts?) takes a 3/8ths part but
convieniently forget which does what.
enter thread percentage-the amount the male thread fills the female
thread gap.
seems that looser tolerances (lower %) such as those available from
Ford would not fit on tiwainese made parts ordered and designed by
germans
anyway-if it wobbles it's no good ummmless you gotta and then use red
loctite keeping an eye on it as a temporary fixture.
seems that well made hi percentage parts are not inertchangable

The cheap "universal" 3/8 26 TPI cones made by pyramid, Wald etc.
seem to work fine on my old axle but I agree they usually run a little
loose.

Today I took the new cones in question to a bike shop that had the
"used axle box" system. They had an axle that fit the cones perfectly
thread wise but the axle was not long enough. Owner said he thought
the cone was a mislabeled 24TPI BMX cone.

None of the other bike shops bothered measuring the cone with a thread
gauge either. Not their problem so I don't blame them but this seems
like such a simple problem to fix with a simple cone or axle swap.
Old February 2nd 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

loose-wobble-pull back and forth along axle-

the pyramid-wald group in the right place does not loosewobbleorpull
shim/campy/'80 ti and japanese hi enders are really tight-like a
544/122 volvo

try 'wheels mfg.' website for a cones-axle chart

Old February 2nd 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

anonymous wrote:
Bought some nice new cones to fit my 3/8 solid axle hub bike.

The bag said these were threaded for 9.5 mm 26 tpi. I tried threading
them onto three different sets of 3/8 standard solid axles but the
cones screw on about three revolutions and come up tight?

I thought 3/8 and 9.5 mm 26 TPI cones and axles were interchangeable?

They are. I'm guessing that the axle 'may' be 10by26...Some 'offshore'
solid axles are indeed this size. Try a 10by26 or 10by1 cone...at yer
LBS.

what size cone spanner/s flyingdutch Australia 0 January 5th 06 12:20 AM
Broken axle Owen Australia 20 November 30th 05 05:12 AM
Park vs. Pedros cone wrenches andy Techniques 7 April 10th 05 01:40 PM
Shimano cone intercompatibility? Chad Techniques 3 January 23rd 05 07:20 PM