Cog size with old Dura Ace mech....

Old February 2nd 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Cog size with old Dura Ace mech....

Guys,

Does anyone know if an old 7400 Dura Ace rear mech will accomodate a 7
speed cassette with a 28 largest cog?

It's part of a retro build project, my wheels currently have a 12 (or
13) - 21 HG cassette and I wanted to swap to a larger range for hill
climbing; would I be safer sticking to a 12-23??

Regards

Dave

Old February 2nd 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

David North queried:

Does anyone know if an old 7400 Dura Ace rear mech will accomodate a 7
speed cassette with a 28 largest cog?

Yes it will.

Sheldon "When, Oh When Will My Server Come Back On Line?" Brown
| When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his |
| attainments. Here was a machine of precision and balance |
| for the convenience of man. And (unlike subsequent inventions |
| for man's convenience) the more he used it, the fitter his |
| body became. Here, for once, was a product of man's brain that |
| was entirely beneficial to those who used it, and of no harm |
| or irritation to others. Progress should have stopped when man |
| invented the bicycle." --Elizabeth West, Hovel in the Hills |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old February 3rd 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

David North wrote:
Guys,

Does anyone know if an old 7400 Dura Ace rear mech will accomodate a 7
speed cassette with a 28 largest cog?

It's part of a retro build project, my wheels currently have a 12 (or
13) - 21 HG cassette and I wanted to swap to a larger range for hill
climbing; would I be safer sticking to a 12-23??

Regards

Dave

No, it will handle a 28 just fine and dandy. Do this sort of thing all
the time with 13 and 14-28 freewheels.

Actual wheel size Carey Unicycling 9 July 19th 05 04:50 AM
FS: New Dura Ace build kit Baird Webel Marketplace 0 February 27th 05 03:00 AM
What is the best size for touring? marcvg Unicycling 5 September 9th 04 07:11 AM
Ultegra v. Dura Ace Raoul Duke General 5 April 6th 04 05:01 AM
LED headlights? David L. Johnson Techniques 129 January 21st 04 03:30 PM