Winter Cycling Clothing in Toronto

Old January 27th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Winter Cycling Clothing in Toronto

Don't bother buying all those cold-weather clothes! Just wait for
this:

http://www.velo-city.ca/MainFrameset.html

Old January 28th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tim McNamara wrote:
I dunno about the weather in Toronto, here in Minensota we have had
the warmest winter on record thus far. [snip]

Anyway, dress for the weather you are having, whatever that is, and
not the weather you might have. It's easy to stay warm, it's not easy
to avoid overheating and ending up wet with sweat.

Yeah, our winter has been screwy, too. From -9C to +6C overnight, for
example. I don't know if the heating-degree-day record to date has been
broken ( I think the meteologists are afraid of jinxing the season) but
it's been crazy-warm most of the time.

And the 'avoid overheating' rule is why I prefer thin longjohns under
regular tights - I can always elect to not wear the inner layer should
the ride home be warmer than the ride in. Lined or winter-weight tights
take that option away.

Old January 28th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article . com,
BeeRich wrote:

Hi folks. Hopefully some people have some ideas for me.

I am in Toronto and want to start biking in the winter. Outside of
proper tires which I can either purchase or make with stainless steel
screws, I'm interested in getting some opinions on winter cycling
clothing.

Ok. here's another Torontonian cyclist's .02.

Before turning your attention to clothing consider your bike. Highly
recommended are full fenders and multiple blinking LEDs for the short
days. Be aware that subjecting your ride to repeated freezing and
melting cycles of salt laden snow and slush will greatly accelerate the
wear of the drivetrain. Consider it for its worth: FG bicycles are the
least vulnerable and demanding of maintenance in this respect.

The need for studded tires is dubious. They're effective when riding on
ice, but generally you'll be riding on snow if not clear blacktop so
they'll have a limited application. Such tires are noticeably heavier
with greater rolling resistance - a real effort over longer distances.
I've ridden them, and IMO general local commuting conditions in winter
don't merit their use.

Now, the clothes. You may well have most of the clothing required if
you're already an all season outdoors type - particularly a CX skier;
and what you need doesn't require that you break the bank.

Rule No. 1: Avoid cotton whenever possible. Sure you *can* resort to
it, but where it concerns athletic endeavours, there are other natural
fabrics as well as synthetics that are much superior. In spite of rule
No. 1, commuting in winter abides by this common truth: there are often
many solutions to the same problem. As you gain experience you'll learn
to analyze conditions and respond.

Pants - insulated? What goes underneath? What kind? I'm used to the
tight black long pants, but the ones I currently have are not insulated
so I'd freeze my future off.

Ooops. I missed this in the run through. Now time's run out; hopefully
someone else will offer advice.

Top - Probably the most important, as this is core heat. I'll be
assuming I'll bike to -10'C, which is nasty cold, so I need some great
ideas to keep warm, yet dry. Seeing as I sweat a lot, keeping dry is
important to me.

Yes, most important; but much easier than the extremities to keep warm.
Learn to dress in layers. To keep the torso warm you'll need at least 3
essential items of clothing: a) a light inner layer, for instance a
moisture wicking synthetic; b) one or more insulating layers; c) a wind
and/or water resistant shell. Wearing a T-shirt under a well insulated
down jacket is not the way to go.

Consider my garb as I was commuting in -8 degree weather at the other
day:
- inner layer: light polyester Malden Mills Power Dry long sleeve
shirt from MEC[0]
- insulating layers: Medium weight zippered North Face fleece
pull-over from the Goodwill store ($8) under a zippered llama wool
sweater picked up when backpacking through Ecuador ($5).
-Super Microft Cycling Jacket wind resistant shell from MEC ($65).

This motley assortment was more than adequate to the task. Note the
absence of cotton and, excluding the shell, the lack of cycling
specific attire. Since the shell is vented (underarm zipper vents) and
both the insulating layers are zippered (with the North Face also
vented) this config offered plenty of ventilation to stave off
overheating.

When temperatures plummet below freezing it's not necessary that you
turn to a high zoot Goretex shell as you can bet it won't be raining -
the coldest days will be the driest. A cheap shell that affords wind
protection, with an extra insulating layer or two, will suffice. The
insulating layers and shell should have a generous collar so as to
provide ample overlap with your headgear (see section on balaclavas)
for the really cold days. In other words, don't wear any V-neck
cardigans. ;-)

The shell should be large enough to allow for several insulating layers
without constricting movement. (Don't wind up like the Ralphie's
brother in a Christmas Story whose Mom packed so tightly into his snow
suit that he couldn't right himself after falling over.)

Also important is the visibility and/or reflectivity of your outer
layer - all else being equal opt for the shell that offers higher
visibility (Scotchlite strips recommended).

Hands - insulated gloves specifically for cycling?

No doubt there are, but any providing sufficient warmth and dexterity
will do. Most frequently I use a pair of Pearl Izumi Lobster claws[1].
The Izumis even feature a strip of felt on their backs to - guess what?
- wipe dripping snot from your nose. Very convenient!

MEC produces a facsimile of these mitten/glove hybrids. Generally the
lobster claws are good to about -7 degrees or so, at that temperature I
wear a pair of those dollar store "Magic Gloves" (they do really cost a
dollar) inside them. In the -15 to -25 degree range I don insulated
leather snowmobile mitts that extend halfway up the forearms, again
wearing 'Magic Gloves' inside them for added warmth. IIRC these leather
mitts were bought at Zellers for under $20 (and were also available as
lobster claws).

If not already in this habit, accustom yourself to storing hand and
footwear in heated areas; don't embark on extended cold weather rides
by putting on cold mittens and/or boots.

Feet - I have clipless pedals, and my current mountain bike boots are
not insulated. What should I wear without buying new boots, and
without looking like a dork?

Better that you should look like a dork than freeze like one. Hopefully
you'll do neither.

Even though you're not in the market I offer the following for others:
IMO the best cold weather footwear for clipless pedals is the Lake
(depending upon the year) MXZ 400[2]. Yesterday I was at MEC and,
though it's not listed at their website, the boot's on clearance there
for $220 (IIRC). I've two pairs of these boots and have used them both
for messenger work and recreational cycling - they are well designed
and constructed. That acknowledged, they are not waterproof; more
precisely they're very water resistant.

BeeRich, I've found that clipless pedals/footwear suffer from
diminishing returns as conditions deteriorate and temperatures
decrease. Beyond the inconvenience of slipping into yet another
article of clothing, I've found my feet sweat excessively when using
neoprene booties - not surprising since wetsuits are made from this
material. And when walking in sloppy conditions, snow and slush tends
to work it's way between the bootie and the sole of the shoe - a real
aggravation. Other's like booties, I don't.

If you don't foresee buying a specially designed pair of winter SPD
boots, I suggest installing a pair of platform pedals (available for
$10 at Crappy Tire or MEC) and using a pair of your favorite winter
boots - at least until the temperature rises.

Regardless of the choice of boot, don't wear cotton socks. You needn't
resort to cycling specific socks to benefit; a typical woolen work sock
will retain heat much better - both wet and dry. And, of course, there
are myriad synthetic choices available.

Head & Face - I have no idea.

My hard and fast rules:

a) +10 degrees and greater, anything or nothing, bareheaded, cap, light
tuque.

b) -5 to 10 degrees, tuque with face still exposed.

c) -20 to -5 degrees, Balaclava[3] covering all of the face WITH a
tuque atop it. Particularly vulnerable at the lower range of these
temperatures or in windy conditions are the ear lobes - do NOT ride
with them exposed. (Mine have been frostbitten on two occasions, while
riding no more than 8 KMs). Balaclavas are ideal because they can be
easily adjusted to suit the wind/temperatures conditions: wear them
with the face completely exposed, pulled over the chin, or pulled
further up over the nose leaving only the eyes exposed. They also
extend down past the collar of the shell and insulating layers, sealing
against drafts.

d) -25 degrees and below. I only expose my eyes at this point - they'll
tear up for the first couple of minutes of the ride, after that no
problem.

Note: Glasses can be problematic at cold temperatures especially when
stopping (at traffic lights) while generating much heat and/or
sweating; they'll fog up. This a minor aggravation; direct your breath
downwards or treat (I haven't) your lenses with a sheeting agent (dish
detergent) or 'Cat Crap'.

Location - As I said I am in Toronto. Cold weather, on a mountain
bike. I usually shop at MEC, but thier selection isn't the greatest,
which is why I am posting here. Any recommendations for a supplier
would be great.

I'm surprised, I find MEC's selection to be excellent. What do you find
wanting? And compared with items of equal quality at Urbane Cyclist,
less costly. As far as other suppliers, Goodwill stores sporadically
stock synthetic fleece layers for pennies on the dollar; Velotique and
Urbane for specialty cycling wear; typical department and discount
stores (HBC, Sears, Zellers, etc..) for gloves, hats and socks.

Often you will pay a needless premium when buying attire at cycling
shops. Much of what's required in the way of clothing for winter
cycling is not specific to the sport or the exclusive preserve of its
retailers. Save for footwear, a cross country skier's clothing demands
mirrors those of a winter cyclist: ease of movement, retention of heat
with sweat wicking capabilities, wind protection as well as
ventilation.

Gotta get out into the winter. I look forward to any ideas.

Cheers

Random related thoughts:
- keep some moisturizer and lip balm at your work place
- although synthetics are ideal for riding, most are inferior to
cotton and wool in this respect: they are susceptible to BO build up.

Luke

_________ links.

0.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...Eprd_id=845524
442617588&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699185&b mUID=1138450953314
or
http://tinyurl.com/9n5pt

_______________

1.
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...subcategory_ID
=1141
or
http://tinyurl.com/bn5z2

_______________

2.
http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='2972-00'
or
http://tinyurl.com/e45v5

_______________

3.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...Eprd_id=845524
441777245&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302698795&b mUID=1138444927977
or
http://tinyurl.com/aj7tq
Old January 28th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hi guys. Sorry for the delayed reply.

Never thought I'd get this many responses, but I do appreciate every
one.

I have slicks on my mountain bike right now, and I want to try them.
Granted, Toronto has been strangely warm, and the Farmer's Almanac is
wrong as well. How can that be?

I think my outlier in all this is that I expected to have some kind of
heavy thick kind of pants, which you guys say isn't necessary. That's
great. It indeed sounds like a wind problem, more than an insulation
problem. I generally produce a lot of heat (I hate the summer) so
venting is important as well. I'm glad this is the case, as I can thin
up the clothing. Thin is good. I guess this is why I said I thought
MEC didn't have what I was looking for, as their pants seemed a bit
thin for what I wax expecting. My expectations were wrong. I thought
it strange MEC wouldn't be on top of such an important topic.

I need some blinky's, definitely. They are $4 at MEC.

Again, thanks for the great thread. Now I have no excuse! See you
guys on the road.

Old January 28th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

BeeRich wrote:
[...]

I cycle year-round in Ottawa, and this winter we've been having warm
temps as well (which sucks for skating on the Rideau Canal, one of my
fave forms of winter exercise). But heck, -10C isn't cold! ;o)

I find that my legs don't get cold until below -10C, and a pair of MEC
"Rad" pants does the job until then, with poly-pro long underwear going
below that. What I like about the Rad pants is that they dry very
quickly and clean easily. I bacially live in them at this time of year.

For wet and slushy conditions a pair of Goretex X-country ski gaiters
are essential, as they protect you from the knees down, catching a lot
of the slush sprayed at you by cars. The stuff will then then drip down
outside you boots, and not into them!

On my head, I first cover up the vents on my helmet (think about it -
the vents are there to increase cooling of your head!). I always use
an old MEC fleece helmet liner, and below -15C (or just in a cold wind)
I add a neoprene face mask to that. It fastens with one strip of velcro
at the back, so you can yank it off if too warm, or you can just fold
down the top part covering your nose and cheekbones but still have your
neck covered. I personally overheat in just about any balaclava.

I do use studded tires, but that's because here in Ottawa they've
gotten slack about removing ice from the residential streets, probably
because the temps are bouncing above and below zero (wer'e heading to
+7C today, but -4C tomorrow). Many of the winter commuters I know here
use studded tires, and just regard the increased rolling resistance as
a bonus workout. ;o) But I did live in Toronto for 8 years, and never
found the need for studs, due to the sheer amount of traffic helping
keep the roads bare.

And yes. one really has no excuse not be properly lit! I have two LED
lights on the back - one flashing, one steady; and an old 6-watt BLT
light on the front witrh back up LED blinkie. Most motor vehicle
traffic does not expect to see cyclists at this time of year.

http://drumbent.com/winterbike.html

Mark

Old January 28th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Peter Cole wrote:
I'll "third" this. "Powerstretch" is made here in Massachusetts by
Malden Mills, it's the "uber" technical material for cold weather. I
have a pair of bib tights which work for me into the teens (F), below
that, I layer a pair of Powerstretch warm-ups over (good to sub-0).

Powerstretch is "4-way" polyester stretch fleece (smooth outside,
"terry" inside). It has very good "wet warmth" and is treated with a
(permanent) silver compound for anti-bacterial qualities. I also have a
LS jersey made from it,

Two questions: #1: Who makes jersies out of powerstretch? (I like the
tights so much I'm tempted)

#2: I find that if riding clothing doesn't fit snugly, I get "cold
spots" where the fabric gaps away from my skin. For example, with
tights, in the hollow that forms at the top of my thighs when I bend
forward. How do other people deal with this?

Mark

Old January 28th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Mark Janeba wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:

I'll "third" this. "Powerstretch" is made here in Massachusetts by
Malden Mills, it's the "uber" technical material for cold weather. I
have a pair of bib tights which work for me into the teens (F), below
that, I layer a pair of Powerstretch warm-ups over (good to sub-0).

Powerstretch is "4-way" polyester stretch fleece (smooth outside,
"terry" inside). It has very good "wet warmth" and is treated with a
(permanent) silver compound for anti-bacterial qualities. I also have
a LS jersey made from it,

Two questions: #1: Who makes jersies out of powerstretch? (I like the
tights so much I'm tempted)

I think Gekko Gear (Col'd Lizard) does. I made my own (I sew a little)
from fabric I ordered from Malden Mills.

#2: I find that if riding clothing doesn't fit snugly, I get "cold
spots" where the fabric gaps away from my skin. For example, with
tights, in the hollow that forms at the top of my thighs when I bend
forward. How do other people deal with this?

Yeah, tights have to be tight to work. If you have any gap to the skin,
air will circulate ruining the insulating effect. That's one of the
reasons I made my own jersey, it has to be much tighter under the
armpits than most jerseys to insulate well. I'm not aware that my bib
tights have any gaps as yours seem to, not sure why.
Old January 29th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I was looking at some of the new hats that are designed to be under
helmets. They look great. It sounds like I'll have to switch my
pedals back to the originals, which are flat and come with straps, but
I'll need new straps. I have old hiking boots I can work with.

Honestly, I'm not worried about snow. We've had more rain in Toronto
than any winter I can remember.

Thanks for the notes, people. Cheers

Old January 29th 06, 08:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article .com,
BeeRich wrote:

Hi guys. Sorry for the delayed reply.

Never thought I'd get this many responses, but I do appreciate every
one.

I have slicks on my mountain bike right now, and I want to try them.
Granted, Toronto has been strangely warm, and the Farmer's Almanac is
wrong as well. How can that be?

I think my outlier in all this is that I expected to have some kind of
heavy thick kind of pants, which you guys say isn't necessary.

Extremities - hands and feet - are the most difficult to keep warm.
Legs, since their doing all the work generate most of the heat, and are
among the least susceptible body parts to cold. As others have
mentioned, tights do a fine job in keeping your legs warm; however, in
some circumstances I've noticed they can aggravate the persistent
challenge of cold weather riding: keeping your feet warm.

I tend to avoid tights in instances where there's heavy rain and the
temperature's between 0 to 10 degrees (Celsius). Tights are designed to
shed water; and in this case it has no place to flow but down your legs
and onto, or rather, into your footwear. The tights I've seen are not
designed to extend beyond and fasten over your boot's upper (correct
me if I'm wrong) like rain pants, but stop short of, or are worn
within, the shoe cuffs. Result: while your legs remain warm the feet
are flushed in ice cold water for the duration of the ride.

In these conditions rain pants that extend past the top of your boot
are preferable. Of course, in dry weather, regardless of temperature,
this is not a concern. And in warmer temperatures, because wet feet
don't automatically equate to cold feet, cycling with sodden tootsies
is not a problem.

MEC carries excellent rain pants; I've had a pair for about 5 years
that only sees action in the aforementioned conditions (about 10 times
a year).

That's
great. It indeed sounds like a wind problem, more than an insulation
problem. I generally produce a lot of heat (I hate the summer) so
venting is important as well. I'm glad this is the case, as I can thin
up the clothing. Thin is good. I guess this is why I said I thought
MEC didn't have what I was looking for, as their pants seemed a bit
thin for what I wax expecting. My expectations were wrong. I thought
it strange MEC wouldn't be on top of such an important topic.

Of interest may be this observation: I find that if I'm toasty and warm
before embarking on a commute then, guaranteed, I'll be overheating and
sweating heavily before long. But if I feel a bit nippy at the onset,
that's usually a sign that I'm dressed appropriately. Exceptions are
the hands and feet: if they're cold before starting out they're almost
certain to freeze thereafter.

I need some blinky's, definitely. They are $4 at MEC.

Again, thanks for the great thread. Now I have no excuse! See you
guys on the road.

Just some more thoughts BR. For LED lights I recommend buying those
that run on (two) AA batteries; then get some NiMH batteries and a
recharger.

The 'Turtle' single LED lights from MEC are handy and very cheap at
about $3 or so (batteries included). However they require two CR2032
watch batteries; these go for between $3.50 and $5 at a variety store -
the cost of replacing the Turtle's batteries runs twice that of the
cost of the LED! Fortunately MEC sells these batteries in packages of 5
at a cost of 50 cents per battery; if you buy the Turtle LEDs fill up
on batteries before checking out.

Luke
Old January 29th 06, 08:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article .com,
BeeRich wrote:

I was looking at some of the new hats that are designed to be under
helmets. They look great. It sounds like I'll have to switch my
pedals back to the originals, which are flat and come with straps, but
I'll need new straps. I have old hiking boots I can work with.

Honestly, I'm not worried about snow. We've had more rain in Toronto
than any winter I can remember.

It's almost February and the Don Valley trail is completely devoid of
snow - as no doubt are the rest in the GTA network. Amazing.

Luke