Small (1-oz or so) container whose top stays on?

Old January 29th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Small (1-oz or so) container whose top stays on?

I like to carry a little ProLink with me to quiet the occasional creakfest that
arises in my sus bearings.

Been keeping it in a little 3/4-oz bottle used for contact lens wetting solution
and wrapping a little tape around the cap to prevent it working off while
riding.

The tape works, but gets messy as the solvent from the ProLink attacks the
adhesive. Tried duct tape, rigger's tape, and electrical tape - same effect.

Anybody got anything they like that won't leak after it's bounced around in a
hip pack for 20-30 hours?
--
PeteCresswell
Old January 29th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

I like to carry a little ProLink with me to quiet the occasional creakfest that
arises in my sus bearings.

Been keeping it in a little 3/4-oz bottle used for contact lens wetting solution
and wrapping a little tape around the cap to prevent it working off while
riding.

The tape works, but gets messy as the solvent from the ProLink attacks the
adhesive. Tried duct tape, rigger's tape, and electrical tape - same effect.

Anybody got anything they like that won't leak after it's bounced around in a
hip pack for 20-30 hours?

What if you try the local drug store's 'travel items' section and buy
a small shampoo container with a screw-on top that has a built-in
flip-up/flip-down stem (know what I mean?)?

Might not be *1* ounce, but maybe 3-4....
--
Live simply so that others may simply live
Old January 29th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hiya Peter:
This MAY be a bit too elaborate a fix, but some of the fountain pen
people claim great success using silicone gasket compound or very small
O-rings to seal pens -- so they can flood the whole body of the pen
with ink, instead of using cartridges or a converter unit. This MAY
keep the lub solvent from migrating past the threads to the tape
adhesive.

Robert Leone should I ask the typewriter people what
they do?

Old January 29th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 11:34:12 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

I like to carry a little ProLink with me to quiet the occasional creakfest that
arises in my sus bearings.

Been keeping it in a little 3/4-oz bottle used for contact lens wetting solution
and wrapping a little tape around the cap to prevent it working off while
riding.

The tape works, but gets messy as the solvent from the ProLink attacks the
adhesive. Tried duct tape, rigger's tape, and electrical tape - same effect.

Anybody got anything they like that won't leak after it's bounced around in a
hip pack for 20-30 hours?

If there's a Container Store near you, they sell polyethylene
screw-top bottles all the way down to that size, including ones with
flip-up nozzles. I've used them for shampoo and such in my travel kit
with zero leakage despite rough handling, pressure changes, long
periods of riding in a vehicle that was subject to heavy vibration,
and other abuse.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old January 29th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Per Neil Brooks:
a screw-on top

Problem is that screw-ons screw off after bouncing around long enough.

For instance, I have experimentally determined that one should not put a spare
gallon of windshield washer fluid in their cartop carrier - no matter how
tightly the cap seems tb screwed on when you put it in there. -)
--
PeteCresswell
Old January 29th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Per Neil Brooks:
a screw-on top

Problem is that screw-ons screw off after bouncing around long enough.

For instance, I have experimentally determined that one should not put a spare
gallon of windshield washer fluid in their cartop carrier - no matter how
tightly the cap seems tb screwed on when you put it in there. -)

Blue Loctite
Contact cement
Silicone caulk
"Goop"

??
--
Live simply so that others may simply live
Old January 29th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

I'm kinda' thinking the same thing. If Pete really bounces those bad
boys open ... I'm certainly not riding with him ;-)
--
Live simply so that others may simply live
Old January 29th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Per Neil Brooks:
I'm kinda' thinking the same thing. If Pete really bounces those bad
boys open ... I'm certainly not riding with him ;-)

I think it's something about jouncing over a longish period of time.

My guess is that it's more the motion of the hips while pedaling than the
surface ridden on. I'm a pretty pathetic rider - mainly a JRA type that's just
trying to stay as far away from cars as I can. If there's a technical route
and a fire road route, it's a no-brainer for me: I'll take the fire road every
time.

Sometimes I also carry a little digital camera with me. After awhile, three
of the screws holding the case together were just *gone*...
--
PeteCresswell
Old January 29th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"(PeteCresswell)" writes:

I like to carry a little ProLink with me to quiet the occasional
creakfest that arises in my sus bearings.

Been keeping it in a little 3/4-oz bottle used for contact lens
wetting solution and wrapping a little tape around the cap to
prevent it working off while riding.

Go to a camping supply store and check out their small Lexan bottles.
I found a 1 oz bottle at REI that works great- screw-on cap with a
flip-up nozzle. It's never leaked thus far, but I carry it in a
small ziploc baggie just in case.
Old January 29th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Go to your local Borg (Home Depot, Lowes, etc), and get some PVC parts.
Cement a 1/2" cap onto a short length of 1/2" pipe. Cement a male
threaded adaptor to the other end of the pipe, and use a threaded cap
on that end.

Since the threads are tapered plumbing type, you can tighten to a point
that it's never going to bounce off.

It may be possible to just cap off the bottome of the male adaptor, but
I'd have to have the PVC bins in front of me to figure out how. At the
very least, you can probably do it with just 1" of pipe, so that none
of it shows.

-Mike