Fenders for a Cannondale F600 Hardtail ?

Old February 2nd 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Fenders for a Cannondale F600 Hardtail ?

Has anyone tried to fit fenders to an F600 ? I am moving to Seattle and will probabbly need them. I have looked at a couple possibilities, but it doesn't seem as there are units out ther that install cleanly and securely. THANKS !

"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid"

-Anthony Hopkins
Old February 2nd 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article ,
"Ed Viladevall" wrote:

Has anyone tried to fit fenders to an F600 ? I am moving to Seattle and will
probabbly need them. I have looked at a couple possibilities, but it doesn't
seem as there are units out ther that install cleanly and securely. THANKS !

What kind of fenders? What kind of tires?

I'm assuming you're looking at a road setup, in which case you go to
whichever LBS or REI sells plastic full fenders for 26" wheeled bikes,
and bolt 'em on. It almost certainly has all the mounting holes already,
and if the front uses a Headshok, even better, since all the fender
mounting points (arch, dropouts) move with the wheel.

For off-road or forks with issues, the best bet is probably the kind of
fender that mounts into the bottom of the steer tube, and at the back
you can go with some sort of rat-tail style seatpost mounted fender.

These are all about as clean and secure as can be. Locally (Vancouver),
quite serious off-roadies often run some sort of front and rear fenders
(typically a little seat-mounted job like the SKS Crusher) on full
suspension bikes) just becuase it sucks to be wet.

http://www.rei.com/category/4500786.htm

I use Planet Bike Freddy fenders on my road bikes, and they work just
fine until I kick them to death or wreck them in some other clumsy way.
I don't blame the fenders, and at $20/set locally, I don't worry much
about buying one set per year.

If you have more specifics, we can give you better advice. Glad to hear
you're not going to let the rain stand between you and riding .

Old February 2nd 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I'm using planet bike fenders on mine, and had to ty wrap the rear fender to the chainstays. In the front I bought oversize clamps from an hpv place for the front ones. If you find a solution please drop me a note.

Old February 2nd 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message
For off-road or forks with issues, the best bet is probably the kind of
fender that mounts into the bottom of the steer tube, and at the back
you can go with some sort of rat-tail style seatpost mounted fender.

Word of warning - if you go with a steerer-tube-plug-mount front fender- DO
NOT get the Topeak DeFender FX, unless all of your cables are routed on the
top tube. Its mounting hardware has a fork-like attachment point in the
front. If you ride with the fender removed, any cables routed on the
downtube will go between the tines, and if the handlebars get turned more
than about 30 degrees, the mount will break.

The first time it happened, about 2 months after I bought the fenders, I
called Topeak and they were nice enough to send me a new bracket, gratis.
When it happened again, about a month later, I decided it was a fatally
flawed design and got an SKS Shockboard. No problems since.

Topeak makes some great stuff (My DeFender RX seatpost-mounted fender still
works great, I just bought a framefit pump of theirs that I really like, and
I love my OnGuard U-Lock) and they have fantastic customer service. However,
I cannot recommend their front fender.

-Hank