Which type of bike? Your opinions please.

Old January 16th 04, 03:59 AM
Chris Hansen

Default Which type of bike? Your opinions please.

Hello,

I'm looking for a new bike to replace the 15 year old tank of a
mountain bike I've been riding. It's been a while since I've been bike
shopping and a lot of things have changed so it might help to get your
opinions. I haven't done any test rides yet, I'm still trying to get
up to speed on what's available.

I ride both on and off road. My road rides are often around 20 miles
and sometimes as much as 40. They might be longer if my bike was more
road worthy. The off-road riding I do isn't really technical but often
is pretty bumpy or sandy or muddy, stuff that fat tires might help.
There's a few challenging hills too. One type of bike I'm looking at
is cyclocross bikes. They seem made to do well both on and off the
road and seem like they might be a good choice. I've read some great
things about the Surly cross check and the LeMond Poprad. I've looked
at the Redline conquest but some people have complained about a harsh
ride.

I'm also thinking of a hardtail mountain bike with a set of street
tires, maybe one of those 29" mountain bikes. I've looked at the Gary
Fisher Dual Sport 229 and it seems nice. I'm also intrigued by the
Surly Karate Monkey but haven't been able to find much info except
what's on the web site.

I haven't decided if I need suspension or not, I've never had it but
maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. Also trying to decide
between drop handlebars and flat handlebars. The answers to these
questions might be the deciding factor.

Is there any reason you can't put flat handlebars on a road bike or
drop handlebars on a mountain bike?

Any information, comments or opinions would really help.

Thanks.
Old January 16th 04, 05:12 AM
Eric S. Sande

Is there any reason you can't put flat handlebars on a road bike or
drop handlebars on a mountain bike?

Yeah, if you try to retrofit either way you have issues with bar
diameter, stems, shifters, derailleurs, and so forth. It can be done
but it may prove more trouble than it's worth.

My advice (FWIW) would be to go with an inexpensive 'cross bike with
flat bars, 622 rims and 32 tires, flat bars and thumbshifters with
cheap Shimano 7 x 3 gear on it. No suspension.

OK, you can have 9 speed if you insist.

This is a pretty good package for the riding you'll be doing.

I don't know how many times I've seen people say "I will be riding
on dirt X% of the time," but trust me, you'll mostly be riding
on pavement (note to British readers, we think of "pavement" as
the road rather than the sidewalk, as you do).

A couple of bar extensions (bar ends) will make this better, but
just the short ones are fine. Another hand position.

You might as well get a steel frame, they are slim and pretty as
opposed to aluminium which is fat and ugly.

Cantilever brakes mean you can get fatter tires and fenders.

Get a rack, the best are not as much more expensive in the long
run as the worst. If you choose carefully you will do well.

What I think you want is a bike that is appropriate, you might
consider this as in the nature of a suggestion.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old January 16th 04, 05:14 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I'm looking for a new bike to replace the 15 year old tank of a
mountain bike I've been riding. It's been a while since I've been bike
shopping and a lot of things have changed so it might help to get your
opinions. I haven't done any test rides yet, I'm still trying to get
up to speed on what's available.

Where does your heart lie (what type of riding do you enjoy most)? If you
get something appropriate for the off-road options, you're going to miss out
on the sort of bike that makes longer road bikes more enjoyable,
particularly if you enjoy speed. A cross bike isn't a substitute for a
fat-tired mountain bike, unless you're willing to restrict your off-roading
to the easier stuff (sandy conditions in particular are *not* fun on
relatively-narrow cross tires, nor are heavily-rutted roads & trails).

The Fisher Dual Sport 229 is an interesting concept and, if you want to
maintain off-road capabilities, probably your best bet. If you outfit it
with narrower road tires, it will essentially be a high-quality hybrid. But
you're still missing out on the comfort given by conventional road bars, not
to mention a heavier front end (due to the suspension fork) that will make
handling a bit on the slow side.

If you're thinking you're going to be spending a lot more time on-road than
off, why not get a "real" road bike, and keep the old mountain bike around
for the off-road trips? Even a 15-year-old mountain bike with no suspension
is probably more capable off-road than a 'cross bike.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

om...

Old January 16th 04, 01:10 PM
Chris Hansen

Where does your heart lie (what type of riding do you enjoy most)?

I really enjoy off-road riding and being able to go anywhere I want
but realistically most of my riding is on the road. There just aren't
that many trails out here so I kind of have to do some road riding to
get to the trails. I also love doing long road rides. I guess it would
be best to get both a road bike and a mountain bike but I just can't
afford that.

If you're thinking you're going to be spending a lot more time on-road than
off, why not get a "real" road bike, and keep the old mountain bike around
for the off-road trips?

I thought about that except the old mountain bike just isn't fun to
ride. My friend crashed it years ago and the new frame doesn't really
fit some of the old parts, there's things that are kind of loose and
no one can tighten them, etc.

Secure Bike Parking.? M. Barbee General 14 January 6th 04 03:00 AM
Electric Bike Opinions Wanted Nehmo Sergheyev General 31 October 31st 03 03:30 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Flat bar road bike opinions? Slider2699 General 4 October 2nd 03 05:09 AM