Quit your motorcycle and pedal a bicycle!

Old October 24th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides

Default Quit your motorcycle and pedal a bicycle!

wrote:

For the most part, I won't ride a cycle in town. It's not fun anyway,
since it's just stop and go; you can't just relax and cruise. Plus, of
course, being RIDICULOUSLY dangerous. If I'm just going to sit there in
city traffic, I might as well lean back in my truck and get comfortable
with the A/C and some good music. These people who use their bikes to
commute to work every day in big city rush hour traffic are just
begging for disaster.

Nah, we're just a hell of a lot more skilled than you. You made the
right choice for you, leave it at that.

Tim

28 years commuting daily in Metro D.C. - 0 accidents

Old October 24th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides

Rayvan wrote:
donquijote1954 wrote:

Although I was at the speed limit, her stopping was so completely
unexpected that I didn't have time to ride around her, which would have
been the usual evasion tactic. My choices: Dump the bike or visit her
back seat.

You had one more choice: Stop the bike properly....
Sounds like some riding lessons are in order....

How dare you bring knowledge and logic to a rant. Shame on you.

--Rayvan

Hint: A motorcycle stops faster if you use the brakes properly because
rubber has much better grip than does metal and flesh...

Much less painful also. A guy I know "laid it down" because he was
going to hit a car. I asked him why in the world he would do that and
he said he would rather have road rash than hit the car. I commented
that now he had road rash and a broken leg and collarbone because he
still hit the car. I told him he hit the car harder than if he had
rode the brakes in. He told me I was nuts and that everybody knows
sliding the bike was the fastest way to stop but you only did it to
avoid a worse crash. Running through all of Newton's laws of motion
and how brakes are much more efficient than grinding chrome off the
bike to change the kinetic energy to heat meant nothing.

You have to understand that this is the same guy that spent almost two
months in the hospital after "surfing" his bike and falling off. The
bike happily went almost another 50 yards or more without him. He also
only uses the rear brake if he's going over about 25mph because he
doesn't want to flip the bike by over braking the front. Yet he has
successfully lived to be almost 40 years old. My mind boggles.

Old October 24th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
David Kerber

In article .com,
says...

Much less painful also. A guy I know "laid it down" because he was
going to hit a car. I asked him why in the world he would do that and
he said he would rather have road rash than hit the car. I commented
that now he had road rash and a broken leg and collarbone because he
still hit the car. I told him he hit the car harder than if he had
rode the brakes in. He told me I was nuts and that everybody knows
sliding the bike was the fastest way to stop but you only did it to

Yep. Whenever you hear "everybody knows", that usually means
"everybody's wrong". The only exception I know of is the one that says
"everybody knows that red bikes are faster" ;-D

avoid a worse crash. Running through all of Newton's laws of motion
and how brakes are much more efficient than grinding chrome off the
bike to change the kinetic energy to heat meant nothing.

Next time tell him to carefully lay his motorcycle down in his driveway
and see how hard it is (or isn't!) to slide it around, then try that
with it up on its tires and the gears engaged. Maybe he'll figure it
out after that...

newsgroups if possible).
Old October 24th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

" wrote:

These people who use their bikes to
commute to work every day in big city rush hour traffic are just
begging for disaster.

are they tho?

I've debated this and wonder if the risk for death from
lack of exercise is higher than risk of accident on
bike?
Old October 24th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default TWO WHEELS GOOD, FOUR WHEELS BAD

Tim Kreitz wrote:
Dt Lemons 1900 wrote:
It's never the fault of the motorcycle rider, it's always the fault of the
"cage" driver. You have to understand the mentality of the motorcycle
rider.

That's 'Cager' to you.

Statistically speaking, the car driver is found to be at fault in just
over 75 percent of all car-bike crashes, according to the NHTSA. So no,
it's not ALWAYS the cager's fault. Just most of the time.

As for the rest of Donkey-Hotay's original post: complete drivel.
Cagers in metro areas run over bicyclists at an alarming rate, as well.
Robbing yourself of a motorcycle's potentially life-saving horsepower
and handling for the sake of pedal power is nonsensical.

Well, you never feel frustrated by ladies like this. Once we create our
own *bike lanes,* we'll be absolutely free from these MADD drivers. (I
call them so because they don't have driving manners but never drink.)

We cyclists then we'll live similar to Key West, Daiquiri in
handlebars.

By the way, cyclists and motorcyclists have a lot in common: TWO WHEELS
GOOD, FOUR WHEELS BAD. And we also share this T-shirt...

http://cafepress.com/putsomefun

Old October 24th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Timberwoof wrote:
In article ,
"Dt Lemons 1900" YEAHRIGHT wrote:

"Tim Kreitz" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dt Lemons 1900 wrote:
It's never the fault of the motorcycle rider, it's always the fault of
the
"cage" driver. You have to understand the mentality of the motorcycle
rider.

That's 'Cager' to you.

Statistically speaking, the car driver is found to be at fault in just
over 75 percent of all car-bike crashes, according to the NHTSA. So no,
it's not ALWAYS the cager's fault. Just most of the time.

As for the rest of Donkey-Hotay's original post: complete drivel.
Cagers in metro areas run over bicyclists at an alarming rate, as well.
Robbing yourself of a motorcycle's potentially life-saving horsepower
and handling for the sake of pedal power is nonsensical.

Tim Kreitz
2003 ZX7R
2000 ZX6R
http://www.timkreitz.com

Life-saving horsepower?????

Yes. On a bicycle, the only way to get out of a situation is to stop.
With a motorcycle, there's also the option to get out of there.

Or simply squeeze on the right.

Consider if I'm stopped at the end of a queue of cars waiting at a red
light. I monitor my rear-view mirror and see a car heading towards me
faster than it ought to: I sneak over between cars and ahead a few, and
avoid a rear-end collision.

Consider if I'm cruising along the freeway and some inattentive cager
decides to change lanes into me (typically after a merge). Depending on
where I am, I could brake hard and still have to deal with the
possibility of the cager also braking hard or the car behind me not
braking hard ... or accelerate out of there. (Which, since I keep good
following distance, I have room to do.)

So if you're not an experienced motorcycle rider, don't be quick to
dismiss possibilities you haven't thought of.

But the MADD lady doesn't do your job any easier. She challenges you
without even noticing thanks to her poor reflexes and the yanking on
the phone.

Old October 24th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

jojo wrote:
"donquijote1954" wrote in message
oups.com...
"the motorcyclist's No. 1 nemesis remains the inattentive driver. So
listen up: Your job as the driver is to drive. Period. Your attention
is focused on what's happening outside, not inside. Period."

I'm assuming that you want to save the buck, and that perhaps you care
about the environment, if not that you plain hate "cages," and, most
importantly, that you want to avoid a senseless accident like this.
Sure, you would say, "Why not ban the damned phones!?" But you know
deep down it won't happen. Too much money into it, you know. So in a
bicycle you could have let yourself go and hit the stupid woman (maybe
a MADD member?) square on the bumper. At least I've made the switch.
You can even get a chopper bicycle!

http://bicycleaustin.info/justice/
not the solution

It is but only when we get rid of the jungle. Coming soon...

RIDING A BIKE COSTS PEANUTS

OK, since the lion (for whom "peanuts" is not important) refuses to
listen to the monkey asking for bike facilities,* let's scrutinize the
secrets ($$$) of the political jungle, where "democracy" is the
word of choice...

"Remember the Golden Rule: Those with the Gold, Rule" (saying)

"The Best Democracy Money Can Buy" (title of book)

And this one...

"Freedom is when the people can speak, democracy is when the government
listens" -Alastair Farrugia

Oh, that one was so good. So let's see: The monkey can cry all he wants
but he will be ignored. Tough life that of the monkey.

Other quotes...

"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view, is
silence about truth" -Aldous Huxley

That one was deep. We all live in the lie (notice the word "lie" in
li-on). And look at this one...

"The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they
don't have any" -Alice Walker

And this would threaten the order in the jungle...

"Democracy is when the indigent, and not the men of property, are the
rulers" -Aristotle

And here they must be talking about the lion...

"The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in
front of it" -Axel Munthe

Many more quotes to entertain yourself are found at the link below. I
hope you use them responsibly and don't start a revolution.

http://www.democracy.ru/english/quotes.php

*Riding a bike is good for the environment, great for peace, and
excellent for your health. We need facilities, though, like BIKE LINES
to be safe.

This is a summary of what's going on in the jungle...
http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

Old October 24th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
Triman

http://www.tri-mansworldmailboxofficesupply.com/
Timberwoof wrote:
In article ,