Kill-filing

Old December 9th 10, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Kristian M Zoerhoff

Default Kill-filing

On 2010-12-09, Michael Press wrote:
In article . org,

On 2010-12-09, T?m Sherm?n? ?_? "" wrote:
On 12/8/2010 8:22 AM, Duane H?bert wrote:
On 12/7/2010 8:13 PM, T?m Sherm?n? ?_? wrote:
On 12/7/2010 8:22 AM, Duane H?bert wrote:
On 12/6/2010 9:21 PM, T?m Sherm?n? ?_? wrote:
On 12/6/2010 10:08 AM, Duane H?bert wrote:

At home I use Outlook Express for a news reader.[...]

Bill Gates holding a gun to your head?

Huh?

Why would anyone use a Micro$oft product when better, free alternatives
are available? (Assuming that they are given a choice.)

I haven't got around to installing TBird at home. Last year when I
tried it, it sucked too much. The current version seems ok - I'm using
it at work.

The "Huh?" was more about you telling me to use a newsreader that will
let me respond to your posts in lieu of you not doing funny things to
your header.

So huh?

My header is UTF-8 compliant.

Alas, usenet is not. It's a 7-bit medium.

All headers must be ASCII. Header titles
must be exactly as prescribed. HOWEVER... there are
means to communicate and render glyphs outside
ASCII. You have some reading to do, but I
promise it is rewarding reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2047

I'm aware of how MIME works. It doesn't change the underlying foundation of
Usenet, it just makes it possible to piggyback non-ASCII content onto an
ASCII medium of transport.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Old December 10th 10, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Michael Press

In article . org,

On 2010-12-09, Michael Press wrote:
In article . org,
Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:

On 2010-12-09, T?m Sherm?n? ?_? "" wrote:
[...]

Not a 7-bit medium as you assert.
Network News Transfer Protocol, rfc 3977, 3.1.1 reads

Note that texts using an encoding (such as UTF-16 or UTF-32) that may
contain the octets NUL, LF, or CR other than a CRLF pair cannot be
reliably conveyed in the above format (that is, they violate the MUST
requirement above). However, except when stated otherwise, this
specification does not require the content to be UTF-8, and therefore
(subject to that same requirement) it MAY include octets above and
below 128 mixed arbitrarily.

--
Michael Press
Old December 10th 10, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Michael Press

In article ,
Tºm Shermªn™ °_° " wrote:

On 12/8/2010 8:22 AM, Duane Hébert wrote:
On 12/7/2010 8:13 PM, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:
On 12/7/2010 8:22 AM, Duane Hébert wrote:
On 12/6/2010 9:21 PM, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:
On 12/6/2010 10:08 AM, Duane Hébert wrote:

At home I use Outlook Express for a news reader.[...]

Bill Gates holding a gun to your head?

Huh?

Why would anyone use a Micro$oft product when better, free alternatives
are available? (Assuming that they are given a choice.)

I haven't got around to installing TBird at home. Last year when I
tried it, it sucked too much. The current version seems ok - I'm using
it at work.

The "Huh?" was more about you telling me to use a newsreader that will
let me respond to your posts in lieu of you not doing funny things to
your header.

So huh?

My header is UTF-8 compliant.

That is as may be. Is it strictly in accord with nntp?
(not saying it is or is not.)

--
Michael Press
Old December 11th 10, 09:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Jym Dyer

I'm aware of how MIME works. It doesn't change the underlying
foundation of Usenet, it just makes it possible to piggyback
non-ASCII content onto an ASCII medium of transport.

=v= There aren't so many NNTP servers as there used to be.
Are any of them really so old that they still choke on 8 bits?
_Jym_
Old December 11th 10, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 12/11/2010 2:32 AM, Jym Dyer wrote:
I'm aware of how MIME works. It doesn't change the underlying
foundation of Usenet, it just makes it possible to piggyback
non-ASCII content onto an ASCII medium of transport.

=v= There aren't so many NNTP servers as there used to be.
Are any of them really so old that they still choke on 8 bits?
_Jym_

Ask the people over on alt.shut.the.hell.up.geek.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old December 11th 10, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2010-12-11, T?m Sherm?n? ?_? "" wrote:
On 12/11/2010 2:32 AM, Jym Dyer wrote:
I'm aware of how MIME works. It doesn't change the underlying
foundation of Usenet, it just makes it possible to piggyback
non-ASCII content onto an ASCII medium of transport.

=v= There aren't so many NNTP servers as there used to be.
Are any of them really so old that they still choke on 8 bits?
_Jym_

Ask the people over on alt.shut.the.hell.up.geek.

I resemble that remark.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Old December 11th 10, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2010-12-10, Michael Press wrote:
In article . org,

On 2010-12-09, Michael Press wrote:
In article . org,
Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:

On 2010-12-09, T?m Sherm?n? ?_? "" wrote:
[...]

I stand corrected. Mea culpa.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff