Saddles

Old July 30th 03, 07:45 AM
Michael MacClancy

Default Saddles

In message , craggs
writes
Getting back into cycling after a long lay off,the saddle on my road
bike is a bit extreme in the comfort stakes any suggestions on a better
saddle ( ie split ,gel, etc )any feedback would be much appreciated.

I'm sure that saddle comfort has as much to do with saddle position as
with the design of the saddle itself. Are you sure that it's not too
far back or forward, that it's level and it's at the right height?
--
Michael MacClancy
Old July 30th 03, 09:32 AM
Peter Clinch

Michael MacClancy wrote:

I'm sure that saddle comfort has as much to do with saddle position as
with the design of the saddle itself. Are you sure that it's not too
far back or forward, that it's level and it's at the right height?

Good point. The way to be sure is go out with suitable spanners and try
all the variations you can. I find incremental setting, riding round
the block, changing the increment again, and so on works very well for
finding the magic setup. Different folks like different things, there's
no Magic Formula for what's right.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old July 31st 03, 09:25 AM
Dave

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
Michael MacClancy wrote:

I'm sure that saddle comfort has as much to do with saddle position as
with the design of the saddle itself. Are you sure that it's not too
far back or forward, that it's level and it's at the right height?

Good point. The way to be sure is go out with suitable spanners and try
all the variations you can. I find incremental setting, riding round
the block, changing the increment again, and so on works very well for
finding the magic setup. Different folks like different things, there's
no Magic Formula for what's right.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Amusingly enough, when I go off-road MTB'ing with No.1 son, we come across
this. He hasn't quite got the stamina levels I've got and my bike is
actually lighter / better geared for uphills, so I swap bikes with him on
the uphills. I have my saddle high and level (parallel to ground), he has
his low and angled back. I raise his seat post but don't bother with
changing seat angle. After quarter of an hour in each others saddles we're
both complaining of back ache !!....'orses for courses.
Dave.

Split Saddles Bob Gir. General 11 June 29th 04 08:36 AM
Split Saddles Comparison psycholist Techniques 4 September 16th 03 01:09 AM