Sheldon's Latest Madness...

Old August 25th 05, 04:51 AM
jim beam

Default Sheldon's Latest Madness...

Sheldon Brown wrote:
http://sheldonbrown.com/gunnar

I never claimed to be sane...

Sheldon "Lefty" Brown
| It's easier to be original and foolish |
| than original and wise. |
| --Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

cool!

is that a tandem crank [to cope with pedal thread precession]?

Old August 25th 05, 05:05 AM
Bill Sornson

Sheldon Brown wrote:
http://sheldonbrown.com/gunnar

Just turn your lens around.

Old August 25th 05, 07:44 AM
Stan Cox

Sheldon Brown wrote:
http://sheldonbrown.com/gunnar

I never claimed to be sane...

Sheldon "Lefty" Brown
| It's easier to be original and foolish |
| than original and wise. |
| --Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Sheldon I was only thinking last week that you hadnt done anything
strange for a while. This just looks so subtly wrong it makes me feel
uneasy

Stan Cox
Old August 25th 05, 08:55 AM
meb

Wrote:
Sheldon Brown wrote:
http://sheldonbrown.com/gunnar

I never claimed to be sane...

Sheldon "Lefty" Brown

A real lefty would have hooked up his one and only brake lever on the
left side, even if silly Americans put their front brake lever on the
left. After all, a real lefty does most of his braking with the left
hand.

The Scott at3 bars really aren't weird enough for this bike. Some
type
of butterfly bars might do, and inverted north road bars are another
possibilty.

Lastly, you need a stranger shifter than the ho-hum sturmey archer
trigger unit. Either that or mount it somewhere more unusual - maybe
on the stem with the trigger facing upwards.

Most importantly, it is no fair flaunting the fact that you actually
have a Sturmey-Archer ASC hub...

Later,
Mark Muller

You need a Cannondale Lefy fork. I'm sure you can come up with some
further maddenning way of mounting it on a bike with that headseat.

--
meb

Old August 25th 05, 09:02 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Sheldon Brown wrote:

http://sheldonbrown.com/gunnar

I never claimed to be sane...

Ooh er. I like the little details like the bare pulley-routed cable run
to the shifter.

Those out there who appreciate odd hub gears may approve of this bicycle:

http://wiredcola.blogspot.com/2005_0...html#112489899
157039217

http://tinyurl.com/97w8z

Sachs Torpedo Duomatic kickback two-speed hub. The funny bit isn't the
quirky hub on this reasonable but odd Austrian folder, it's that I owned
the bike for over a year before realizing it had a two-speed hub. I just
assumed the bike was heavy*, because it often felt undergeared on
descents and overgeared on climbs.

On the off chance anyone is using my bike as a template for Auto-Mini
restoration, the stock front wheel was replaced with a BMX wheel to get
an aluminum braking surface up front. The stock white vinyl sprung
saddle with rectangular stamped frame rails was replaced with this black
vinyl sprung saddle for no good reason. Other than that, it's as I found
it at the garage sale. Ten bucks, same as all noble and decent garage
sale bicycles.

*30 pounds including rack, fenders, and kickstand; that puts it in the
weight range of my Bianchi commuter, also including rack and fenders.

Old August 25th 05, 09:14 AM
John Henderson

ellis wrote:

Damn, Sheldon... Very nice. Brits, Aussies and Japanese
should appreciate the wrong side drive deal!!!

No, no. The left side is the right side, and the right side is
the wrong side.

John
Old August 25th 05, 01:43 PM
Mark Hickey

meb wrote:

You need a Cannondale Lefy fork. I'm sure you can come up with some
further maddenning way of mounting it on a bike with that headseat.

Backward, of course.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old August 25th 05, 04:09 PM
Sheldon Brown

jim beam wrote:

http://sheldonbrown.com/gunnar

is that a tandem crank [to cope with pedal thread precession]?

Yes.

C.J.Patten wrote:

I notice the dynamo. I remember using that style in the 1980's on
just about all of the bikes I had as a kid in Europe.
How do you like it? (drag compared to a hub dynamo?)

No, you never had one like _this_. It's a wonderful Swiss LightSpin
unit, superficially similar but much more high-tech than the ones you're
used to.

Drag is VERY low, comparable to my hub generators (I own a Schmidt, a
couple of Shimanos and a Sturmey-Archer.)

It also has a built-in voltage regulator so it doesn't toast bulbs the
way the old ones did if you got going fast.

Unfortunately, the light I'm running it with is a fairly primitive old
Soubitez unit, so it doesn't put out as much light as a modern unit would.

Sheldon "Fiat Lux" Brown
| Some say the world will end in fire, |
| Some say in ice. |
| From what I've tasted of desire |
| I hold with those who favor fire. |
| But if it had to perish twice, |
| I think I know enough of hate |
| To say that for destruction ice |
| Is also great |
| And would suffice. --Robert Frost |

Old August 25th 05, 04:19 PM
Mike Hales

What saddle is that?

Mike

Old August 25th 05, 05:00 PM

have you assembled the piece before?

useit! answer the question why place the drivetrain on the berm side

to keep it out of the horse manure, on corsa!

this no longer "makes sense"

excellent..

and listen - ease up on the golden hammer adjustment
and tell us how the nervous system, somewhat past the window but still
simmering, reacts to the opposite side pull?

gotta watch and cones?

we're awaiting channel one katrina. go to NOAA radar for the big
picture-itsa electronic game

the wind out of the atl;antic produces 5-0 weather here on the gulf
coast. the sky has been incredibly bewutiful
and the cycling terrific-down wind!

hurricane surfing is a trip. going down US 27 for the last 48 hours is
outasight

like jetting of to NM for a flood watch and kayaking thru the desert