Morons on bikes

Old May 12th 06, 12:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Morons on bikes

Oh dear. What a sight. For those in CBR riding over Commonwealth
Bridge you will know that there have been expansion joint works and
traffic diversions. As a result the cycling/pedestrian paths over the
bridge have taken turns in being closed down during the works. This is
no big deal as its easy to slip under the bridge and go over the
opposite side if the side you want to use is closed.

This whole week the northbound side has been closed and I have been
dumb-founded by the number of cyclists riding up the incline to the
bridge BETWEEN two detour signs, only to get to the top and see the path
is closed (you can actually see that this is the case from some distance
off). Not to be deterred, many cyclists have lifted their bikes over
the barriers (these are permanent barriers which normally separate
cyclists/peds from traffic) onto the road where cars are dealing with
dramatically changed traffic conditions on a bridge. This hasn't been
too bad a ploy as I've seen much success with cyclists coming out the
other end unscathed.

Yet this morning, as I rode northbound on the fountain side of the
bridge, I noticed one moron carrying (yes CARRYING) his bike on a narrow
strip of concrete almost in the MIDDLE of the bridge where there is
nothing more than a small barrier and fence to stop traffic crashing
into the lake from a great height
(http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=177721). What's more bizarre is that
he was heading NORTH!! I decided not to let him know how outraged I was
that he was giving me such a bad rep as I thought this might distract
him and he'd fall into the lake. For those in CBR using the bridge
please, for the sake of my own blood pressure, just use the god-dam path!

Ahh... calm now... time for coffee! Oh yeah and I have a flat to repair
before home time!

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
Old May 12th 06, 05:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bean

Anyone doing stupid things is not your responsibility. When a motorist,
I cannot be held accountable for moronic drivers - nor as a cyclist
will I accept being lumped in with dickheads who also ride a bike. Let
this guy get his Darwin Award, or be dealt with by the law.

Donga

Old May 12th 06, 05:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bean Long Wrote:

I decided not to let him know how outraged I was
that he was giving me such a bad rep as I thought this might distract
him and he'd fall into the lake.

you shoulda distracted him

kersplash!!!

--
flyingdutch

Old May 12th 06, 06:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle

flyingdutch Wrote:
you shoulda distracted him

kersplash!!!

I saw the thread title and thought this thread was about me..!!!
I agree with Flying Dutch, should of thrown him something and shouted
hey "catch"

--
MikeyOz

Old May 12th 06, 06:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Dunno if it beats this one -
http://www9.sbs.com.au/theworldnews/...29108&region=7

CYCLIST RIDES INTO TROUBLE
11.5.2006. 13:18:16

A South Australian cyclist is probably wishing he'd just paid the $64 fine
he was handed by police for riding his bicycle without a helmet.

Instead, he got straight back onto the bike and continued to ride without a
helmet. When police stopped him again he decided to walk his bike for the
rest of his journey.

But he was so intent on giving the officers a mouthful that he didn't look
where he was going and walked into a parked car. Police again spoke to the
man, who then got on his bike again without a helmet and started circling
around the officers in the middle of the road.

The 39-year-old man was eventually arrested for failing to wear a bike
helmet, disorderly behaviour and the unlawful possession of a bike. When
police looked into it, they discovered that the bike was stolen.

Old May 12th 06, 07:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle

MikeyOz Wrote:
I saw the thread title and thought this thread was about me..!!!
I agree with Flying Dutch, should of thrown him something and shouted
hey "catch"

Ah, the battle cry of the grenadiers.

--
Resound

Old May 12th 06, 08:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle

OzCableguy wrote:
[...]

yeah... it could have been that guy!

Old May 12th 06, 08:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle

MikeyOz wrote:
flyingdutch Wrote:
you shoulda distracted him

kersplash!!!

I saw the thread title and thought this thread was about me..!!!
I agree with Flying Dutch, should of thrown him something and shouted
hey "catch"

Thread probably should have been "Bike on moron"

reminds me of that old Kenny Everett joke: "Horse on Wells... get it?"

Old May 13th 06, 07:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"I'm not suggesting that we simply execute stupid people. All I'm saying is
that we should remove the safety labels and let nature take its course."

Confusius

Old May 13th 06, 08:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Resound Wrote:
Ah, the battle cry of the grenadiers.

kick it to me! kick it to me!

--