Do cyclists' dogs chase cyclists?

Old May 6th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Do cyclists' dogs chase cyclists?

I know there are people who ride with their dogs, especially MTB'ers. Do
dogs who ride with their owners show aggression to other cyclists?

Old May 6th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Gooserider wrote:
:: I know there are people who ride with their dogs, especially
:: MTB'ers. Do dogs who ride with their owners show aggression to other
:: cyclists?

I've found that roaming dogs don't chase if they are not in a group. That's
not an answer to your interesting question, but i thought it might be
tangentially related.

Old May 6th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Roger Zoul wrote:
Gooserider wrote:
:: I know there are people who ride with their dogs, especially
:: MTB'ers. Do dogs who ride with their owners show aggression to other
:: cyclists?

I've found that roaming dogs don't chase if they are not in a group. That's
not an answer to your interesting question, but i thought it might be
tangentially related.

I have never had a roaming dog give chase. Mostly I think they might be
strays and probably too hungry to go after a bike. Mostly what I get
chased by is the little toy breeds. I like the sheriff that lives two
streets over with his k-9 partner, I often see them out playing in the
front yard and the dog never even looks in my direction, must be part of
the training they receive.

Ken
--
New cycling jersey: $49
new cycling shorts: $39
Old May 7th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Gooserider" wrote in message

I know there are people who ride with their dogs, especially MTB'ers. Do
dogs who ride with their owners show aggression to other cyclists?

I have to chain my bike up in the yard because it likes to chase dogs.

Old May 7th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Gooserider wrote:

I know there are people who ride with their dogs, especially MTB'ers. Do
dogs who ride with their owners show aggression to other cyclists?

Yes!
I got bitten by one about 5 months ago but I don't think the guy was a
serious cyclist, just an old guy too lazy to walk to his mailbox.
Probably not a good sample, just what happened to me.
Bill Baka

Old May 8th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Bill wrote:
:: Gooserider wrote:
::
::: I know there are people who ride with their dogs, especially
::: MTB'ers. Do dogs who ride with their owners show aggression to
::: other cyclists?
::
:: Yes!
:: I got bitten by one about 5 months ago but I don't think the guy was
:: a serious cyclist, just an old guy too lazy to walk to his mailbox.
:: Probably not a good sample, just what happened to me.

Yeah, I think so. The dog saw you and said, "Hey, that's Bill Baka. Gotta
take a chunk outta him!"

Old May 8th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Gooserider" wrote in message
I know there are people who ride with their dogs, especially MTB'ers. Do
dogs who ride with their owners show aggression to other cyclists?

Yes. We've had dogs from 1956 and bicycles since 1961 and all of our dogs
hate bicycle wheels for some reason. Must be the sound of the spokes?

Charles of Schaumburg

Old May 8th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

n5hsr wrote:
"Gooserider" wrote in message
I know there are people who ride with their dogs, especially
MTB'ers. Do dogs who ride with their owners show aggression to other
cyclists?

Yes. We've had dogs from 1956 and bicycles since 1961 and all of our
dogs hate bicycle wheels for some reason. Must be the sound of the
spokes?

Luckily, they're so old all they can do is /gum/ those rusty rims.

Literal Bill

Old May 8th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"n5hsr" writes:

"Gooserider" wrote in message
I know there are people who ride with their dogs, especially MTB'ers. Do
dogs who ride with their owners show aggression to other cyclists?

Yes. We've had dogs from 1956 and bicycles since 1961 and all of our dogs
hate bicycle wheels for some reason. Must be the sound of the spokes?

Charles of Schaumburg

More the fact that you simply dont control or train them properly.

The town I live in in Germany has thousands of cyclists and dogs and I
have never seen a dog chase a bike : ever.
Old May 8th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sat, 06 May 2006 20:01:10 GMT, "Gooserider"
wrote:

I know there are people who ride with their dogs, especially MTB'ers. Do
dogs who ride with their owners show aggression to other cyclists?

Around here, mostly they don't...but the sample space is small, and I
don't think my results are significant.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Four Cyclists Killed in Wales Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 0 January 24th 06 01:49 PM
More anti-cyclist drivel in the Times wafflycat UK 142 January 14th 06 06:46 PM
Recommendations? - Training "Other Peoples" Dogs Not To Chase Matt O'Toole General 72 May 16th 05 03:35 PM
[Long] ASA vs CTC Not Responding UK 18 January 20th 05 01:36 AM
Dogs GABIKE General 56 October 3rd 03 05:59 AM