Cranks to Chainstay Discrepancy

Old February 5th 05, 01:50 AM
Stefano Maranzana

Default Cranks to Chainstay Discrepancy

Hello - any help would be appreciated.

I've recently read some info on Q-factor so was checking my bike with
campy record cranks and campy record bottom bracket and noticed that the
left crank is 2mm closer to the chainstay than the right crank. Is that
within tolerances? Am I expecting too much for this distance to be equal?
What typically causes this? The cranks are both torqued within specs.

Are there any consequences I should be aware about that could stem from
this?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old February 5th 05, 11:50 AM
James Thomson

"Stefano Maranzana" wrote:

I've recently read some info on Q-factor so was checking my bike
with campy record cranks and campy record bottom bracket and
noticed that the left crank is 2mm closer to the chainstay than the
right crank. Is that within tolerances? Am I expecting too much
for this distance to be equal? What typically causes this? The
cranks are both torqued within specs.

Are there any consequences I should be aware about that could
stem from this?

A couple of things:

Uneven chainstay clearance isn't necessarily an indicator of crank
asymmetry - it could be that the chainstays are asymmetric. Better to use
the seat tube as a reference.

I don't know whether 2mm of asymmetry is unusual for Record cranks (you
don't mention whether you're talking about the current model or an older
incarnation of Record), but many cranks have far more asymmetry than 2mm,
even when used with their recommended bottom brackets. People assume that
their cranks are symmetrical without having measured. Would you have
noticed?

The worst consequence you should expect is that you will end up sitting 1mm
further to the right to compensate. If it the thought bothers you, you
could move your cleats 1mm each - but I recommend you forget about it and
enjoy your bike.

James Thomson