More Advice before I buy...

Old August 11th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wmdoran

Default More Advice before I buy...

Hi everyone,

I am a college student in Florida where it is very flat, and just
learning how to ride. You may have read my previous thread where I got
overwhelmingly supported advice to get the Torker LX. I ended up
finding a great deal for a 24 inch off-brand for 30 bucks. I thought I
wanted the 24 in to get across campus, but now that I can ride it I am
contemplating getting something with a larger tire size so I can get to
class *_MUCH_* faster without sweating up a storm. What do you
suggest? Brand? Size? I do not want to spend a lot but am open to
ideas. Would a 26 inch be big enough? It's only 2 inches bigger than
the 24 inch and I know they go bigger. Also, while I'm at it, what are
some good tips on turning , free-mounting, and rocking in place?
Thanks so much for any advice that you give! Your previous advice
helped so much and I am finally getting a handle on riding!

Matt

--
wmdoran
wmdoran's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12770

Old August 11th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
trials_uni

A great place for unicycle tips is www.unicycletips.com. It has videos
and write ups of all kinds for all your uni needs.

If you just want to go a bit faster you could switch the cranks on your
24" for shorter ones(I assume you have 140s). You could try some 125s.

If you are indeed set on a 26" uni though you could just get a 26" with
a road tire and 125 cranks on it...That would gove you quite a bit of
speed over a 24" with 140s.

Or...You could get a 29er or a Coker. Those are both made for
distance/speed riding. The Coker is rather expensive however.

In the end the choice is yours but the 26er with a slick and some 125s
is what i recomend for what you want it for.

-Phil

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !

Radical Reed wrote:
I have to herd the polor bears, while harvesting pot. Then I sit down on
my couch made of softwood lumber with a glass of maple syrup and watch
a hockey game or a gay marrige.

*Caution-I may have no idea what im talking about*

Old August 11th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mr. uni kid

if you really want to focus on speed, then you could get a 26 inch uni
and buy some $12 united 89mm cranks. they will get you going really
fast on a 26 incher.
might not be too safe though, you could loos control pretty
easily...... anyway, here is a link to those cranks on UDC if you want
them: http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=179

--
mr. uni kid

I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out!
mr. uni kid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12833

Old August 11th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:39:06 -0500, wmdoran wrote:

contemplating getting something with a larger tire size so I can get to
class *_MUCH_* faster without sweating up a storm. What do you
suggest? Brand? Size?

Cokers are best for longer distances than you typically see riding
across a campus. So I suggest a 28", or better still a 29" (a fatter
tyre on the same rim). Cranks could be 125 mm, which is a nice
compromise for a beginner between controllability and speed. Brand?
Depends on where you live (where you order from). You don't want to
spend a lot, right? For just riding around campus, it doesn't need to
be strong, or have a very comfortable seat. So, almost any brand is
good enough.

Also, while I'm at it, what are
some good tips on turning , free-mounting, and rocking in place?

Download the pdf file "Learning to Unicycle" from
http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/uni_beginners.htm

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"I'm slowly but surely stealing Wales and bringing it back to my house on the wheel, frame and cranks of my muni. - phil"

Old August 11th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

I would not bother upgrading from 24" to 26" for speed reasons; the
difference isn't that dramatic. Getting shorter cranks on the 24" is
worth trying; it makes a noticable difference, and it's a lot cheaper
than a new unicycle. If you're going to get a new uni, I would
definitely go with a 29" or Coker if speed is what you're looking for.

--
tholub

Advice on buying a Giraffe tomshank Unicycling 3 March 11th 04 08:53 AM
Advice on a New Bike Paul_Rawlings UK 6 January 17th 04 07:34 PM
Beginner seeking advice Joe S. General 5 October 13th 03 10:57 PM
Platform pedals - advice please Spencer Bullen UK 16 October 13th 03 10:15 PM
advice on buckled rear wheel after accident den911 UK 1 August 13th 03 10:25 PM