20mph speed limits

Old November 30th 11, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Bertie Wooster

Default 20mph speed limits

It will not be long before other local authorities, up and down the
country, think of roads as places that serve communities, and not as
thoroughfares.

=====Quote=====
At last night’s full council meeting, Islington Councillors took a
historic decision. They approved a plan that will see a maximum 20mph
speed limit come into force across the entire borough. As the local
assembly member, and an Islington resident I fully support the
council’s move. It will mean the streets of Islington will be safer.
Safer for pedestrians, drivers and cyclists. It will allow streets to
become vibrant hubs for community activity and will of course save
lives.

In making this bold move, Islington Labour Councillors are inviting
residents to think differently about the communities in which they
live. We should no longer think of our urban spaces as narrow strips
of pavement running alongside busy roads. Instead we should see the
urban environment as a patch work quilt of unique and accessible
spaces.

The safety benefits are clear from the statistics. In 2001 227 people
were killed or seriously injured on Islington’s Roads. By 2009 that
had fallen to 77. That number is still too high. One death or serious
injury on Islington’s roads is one too many. But these statistics do
demonstrate that reducing speed limits does save lives.

This change will help to make our roads safer for cyclists. In recent
years the trend has been for a reduction in the number of casualties
and deaths overall. However among cyclists, these figures have taken
much longer to decline. There are clearly other factors besides speed
that it will be necessary to address to reduce the number of accidents
involving cyclists on our roads. However, the new 20mph limit will
help to bring down those figures.

In addition to challenging how we view urban spaces and promoting
safety, this new measure will have a positive impact in reducing noise
and air pollution.

The council has been rightly applauded for taking this decision, the
first in the country to do so. This change is symbolic of a modal
shift that is occurring in how we travel. It is in essence about the
future of our cities. Let’s hope that other local authorities follow
Islington’s lead and create safer, less polluted streets.
=====/Quote=====
http://www.jennettearnold.com/index....gton&Itemid=56
Old November 30th 11, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Nov 30, 7:54*am, Bertie Wooster wrote:
It will not be long before other local authorities, up and down the
country, think of roads as places that serve communities, and not as
thoroughfares.

=====Quote=====
At last night’s full council meeting, Islington Councillors took a
historic decision. They approved a plan that will see a maximum 20mph
speed limit come into force across the entire borough. As the local
assembly member, and an Islington residentI fully support the
council’s move. It will mean the streets of Islington will be safer.
Safer for pedestrians, drivers and cyclists. It will allow streets to
become vibrant hubs for community activity and will of course save
lives.

Don't forget to make a gallery of the paintings.
Like this.

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/page361.htm

--
Simon Mason

Old November 30th 11, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 30/11/2011 07:54, Bertie Wooster wrote:
It will not be long before other local authorities, up and down the
country, think of roads as places that serve communities, and not as
thoroughfares.

Malcolm & Cressida Wright-Prat strike again.

University
Old November 30th 11, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Squashme

On Nov 30, 8:18*am, Dave - Cyclists VOR
wrote:
On 30/11/2011 07:54, Bertie Wooster wrote:

It will not be long before other local authorities, up and down the
country, think of roads as places that serve communities, and not as
thoroughfares.

Malcolm & Cressida Wright-Prat strike again.

University

Dave - Pedestrians VOR. "Many people barely recognise the feet as a
legitimate means of transport; they are either playthings for children
or a mode fit only for the poor and/or strange," (Herod - Kindermord)
Old November 30th 11, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Bertie Wooster wrote:

It will not be long before other local authorities, up and down the
country, think of roads as places that serve communities, and not as
thoroughfares.

I disagree.

Our whole estate and those adjoining are all 20mph limited with signs
on all roads entering the estates and speed humps. Doesn't stop
traffic, doesn't 'serve communities' any more than 'before 20'.

I wonder how the people who think up these sayings "places that serve
communities" see roads as being anything more than roads when people
still have to drive 'cos they live there, or need to go to the shops,
or the schools ...

--
Paul - xxx
"You know, all I wanna do is race .. and all I wanna do is win"
Old November 30th 11, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
GT

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
Bertie Wooster wrote:

It will not be long before other local authorities, up and down the
country, think of roads as places that serve communities, and not as
thoroughfares.

I disagree.

Our whole estate and those adjoining are all 20mph limited with signs
on all roads entering the estates and speed humps. Doesn't stop
traffic, doesn't 'serve communities' any more than 'before 20'.

Serves communities less as the throughput of that 'serving' road has been
lowered by 33%.

Old November 30th 11, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
GT

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
[...]

== reply ==
I like the 4th one "Exhaust kills too" - a clear reminder that the 20mph
limit increases congestion and increases the amount of pollution produced by
vehicles on the road!

Old December 1st 11, 04:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 20:15:07 +0000, GT wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
Bertie Wooster wrote:

It will not be long before other local authorities, up and down the
country, think of roads as places that serve communities, and not as
thoroughfares.

I disagree.

Our whole estate and those adjoining are all 20mph limited with signs
on all roads entering the estates and speed humps. Doesn't stop
traffic, doesn't 'serve communities' any more than 'before 20'.

Serves communities less as the throughput of that 'serving' road has
been lowered by 33%.

In my experience many traffic in many residential areass travels very
slowly anyway. Cross streets, children playing, many driveways and
intersections etc -- so making a 20mph limit won't change much.
Reducing speeed to 20mph on the serving road will reduce traffic by much
less than 33% as the cars can travel closer together at the lower speed.

--
An oft-repeated lie is still a lie.
Old December 1st 11, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Squashme

On Nov 30, 8:15*pm, "GT" wrote:
"Paul - xxx" wrote in . ..

Bertie Wooster wrote:

It will not be long before other local authorities, up and down the
country, think of roads as places that serve communities, and not as
thoroughfares.

I disagree.

Our whole estate and those adjoining are all 20mph limited with signs
on all roads entering the estates and speed humps. *Doesn't stop
traffic, doesn't 'serve communities' any more than 'before 20'.

Serves communities less as the throughput of that 'serving' road has been
lowered by 33%.

So if 30 vehicles use that road in half an hour, only 20 will be able
to with the new limit then?
Old December 1st 11, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Squashme

On Nov 30, 8:18*pm, "GT" wrote:
[...]

IF a 20 mph limit increased congestion.