Front bike rack on buses, heavy bikes

Old September 19th 17, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Front bike rack on buses, heavy bikes

On 2017-09-18 13:55, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/18/2017 12:25 PM, Joerg wrote:

My panniers have four hooks and I slid in a thick Perspex plate above.
It is nicely rounded so won't chafe. Has two big M6 bolts to a
home-made rack "undercarriage". That way it cannot jump or rattle up
an down. The hooks have thick bicycle tubing over them for nice
cushioning. The bungees are not used but the panniers are solidly
affixed to the vertical struts of the racks.

On the MTB it would take tools and half an hour to assemble and
re-assemble. Not gonna happen, then I keep using my car instead of
changing to public transit.

But if you want panniers that thieves can't easily steal, bolt-on is a
good idea I guess.

They can still easily open them or slit them with a knife. This is why
I never leave the bike unattended. If a store doesn't allow me to
carry the bike inside I will shop elsewhere. This is one reason why I
only buy online at Walmart, not in stores. And only when they
free-ship to the house, no ship-to-store because they made me park the
bike outside even there.

On the road bike the battery for lights and stuff rides in the right
pannier so I'd also have to disconnect that. ...

Wow.

I've toured and/or traveled with up to four panniers plus handlbar bag,
in something like 12 countries so far. I shop almost daily using one
bike or another. I've done this for about 45 years now.

So far, my total losses from parked bikes totals three cyclometers -
once from my daughter's bike and my bike parked in front of a restaurant
in Ireland, and once from my bike parked at the local grocery store.
Without the Avocet sensor rings and mounts, they're useless, so I
suspect it was 12-year-old boys in both cases.

In our village, I no longer bother to even lock the bike. I just jam
something into the front brake lever to keep that brake applied.

You probably life in a secluded Amish village :-)

It's a suburban village with its own government and police force,
contiguous with surrounding suburbs and adjacent to this corner of the
state's biggest retail area. It's been rated the safest community within
at least 15 miles. It's crime stats are better than the local area, the
state on average, or the U.S. on average. And I'm friendly with the
police chief and several of the cops. I like to think that if my bike
were stolen, they'd be motivated to get it back for me.

I've had a lot of stuff stolen, including a complete road bike which was
tied to a thick wrought iron fence with a massive chain and a
professioanal-grade ABUS pad lock. I have a hunch who it was but
couldn't prove it plus the bike was nowhere to be found.

It may help that my bikes are probably viewed as quirky and unfashionable.

The topper in the next street was a guy with a fairly old BMW
motorcycle. One morning he came down ...Â* both Bing carburetors gone.
The guy who stole them must have been a BMW lover because he draped
something over the intakes so rain would not enter the cylinders.

I've got an old BMW (1972 R75/5) and I'd hate to see it harmed. But
again, the police chief rides a Harley, and he chats with me about my
BMW from time to time.
In less familiar areas, I use a homemade cable that's 1/4" diameter,
with a tiny padlock. I do think carefully about where I park the bike,
though.

At our larger stores there are often some shady folks milling about,
with nothing to do all day long. Leaving a nice bike or one with
enticing accessories unattended is calling for trouble. I just don't
want to have my tool set or other stuff pilfered.

I feel lucky to live where I do. There are no shady folks milling about
the places I shop.

In Paris a few years ago, I had to do some customs paperwork at a
department store we'd visited. My wife bought some clothes and we could
avoid some taxes by filling out forms, but they needed to see my
passport. Anyway, I rode my bike there, and planned to lock it to a
stout streetside railing, but I'd forgotten the key to the cable lock.
And there were a bunch of shady looking young guys lounging nearby.

I rode off looking for a hidden parking place, and came across a few
police monitoring something near the store's underground parking and/or
shipping area. I explained my predicament, and they cheerfully let me
park it in the underground area, where they said they'd keep an eye on
it. That was with the Bike Friday, and they were pleasantly interested
in the bike as well.

(Of course, my lights are permanently bolted on.)

That makes no difference to a serial thief. They will instantly know
whetehr the light is a ritzy-glitzy one or a $10 light and then decide.
No matter how it is mounted.

Around here, nobody knows what a Busch & Muller Cyo is worth.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 19th 17, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 16:11:25 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

On 2017-09-18 13:55, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

motorcycle. One morning he came down ... both Bing carburetors gone.
The guy who stole them must have been a BMW lover because he draped
something over the intakes so rain would not enter the cylinders.

In less familiar areas, I use a homemade cable that's 1/4" diameter,
with a tiny padlock. I do think carefully about where I park the bike,
though.

At our larger stores there are often some shady folks milling about,
with nothing to do all day long. Leaving a nice bike or one with
enticing accessories unattended is calling for trouble. I just don't
want to have my tool set or other stuff pilfered.

(Of course, my lights are permanently bolted on.)

That makes no difference to a serial thief. They will instantly know
whetehr the light is a ritzy-glitzy one or a $10 light and then decide.
No matter how it is mounted.

By Gorry! I'm sure glad I left California where (apparently) all the
thieves live and moved to Asia where (apparently) people are
honest.... or at least no one has stolen my bicycle or any bits
attached to it.

It must be Hell to live in such a lawless place.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 19th 17, 03:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 08:23:07 +0700, John B.
wrote:

It must be Hell to live in such a lawless place.

Lawless? The US probably has more laws than any other country:
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2015/06/06/how-many-federal-laws-are-there-again-n2009184
Add to that are various state laws, codes, regulations, executive
orders, torts, case law, etc. Yep, we're really quite lawful, or is
that full of laws?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 19th 17, 03:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

It must be Hell to live in such a lawless place.

Lawless? The US probably has more laws than any other country:
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2015/06/06/how-many-federal-laws-are-there-again-n2009184
Add to that are various state laws, codes, regulations, executive
orders, torts, case law, etc. Yep, we're really quite lawful, or is
that full of laws?

lawless ~ adj
1. without law or control
2. lax in enforcing laws
3. disobedient to or defiant of law

I am given to understand, from reading this site, that it is unsafe to
leave one's bike outside a store, that rednecks in pickup trucks daily
assault bicycles and that without a very powerful flashing light no
one will see you and you will likely die in a crash.

I believe that "unlawful", at least from all I read here, is the
proper term. (see 1,2,3 above).
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 19th 17, 02:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

It must be Hell to live in such a lawless place.

Lawless? The US probably has more laws than any other country:
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2015/06/06/how-many-federal-laws-are-there-again-n2009184
Add to that are various state laws, codes, regulations, executive
orders, torts, case law, etc. Yep, we're really quite lawful, or is
that full of laws?

"The Roman Republic had 12 laws and every schoolboy knew
them. At the end of the Empire there were thousands of laws
and no one knew them."

More for the curious reader:
https://www.alibris.com/booksearch.d...id=13885888947

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 19th 17, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

It must be Hell to live in such a lawless place.

Lawless? The US probably has more laws than any other country:
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2015/06/06/how-many-federal-laws-are-there-again-n2009184
Add to that are various state laws, codes, regulations, executive
orders, torts, case law, etc. Yep, we're really quite lawful, or is
that full of laws?

"The Roman Republic had 12 laws and every schoolboy knew
them. At the end of the Empire there were thousands of laws
and no one knew them."

More for the curious reader:
https://www.alibris.com/booksearch.d...id=13885888947

We hate laws until someone builds a rendering plant next door -- or passes too closely or gets in our space. We are a fundamentally schizophrenic society. Everyone is a rugged individual, constrained by the oppressive laws -- until someone bigger, stronger and more wealthy decides to take all the water from the river or charge us $150 a week for cable TV or cellphone service. Then there aren't enough laws. With that said, I hope The Donald does trim the tax code, but I'm certain that as one solidly in the dwindling middle-class, I'd get slaughtered. I didn't vote for him, but it looks like all of his tax proposals would totally sodomize his base.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 19th 17, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-09-18 13:55, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

[...]

It's worse in the cities around here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dz0Za5-wOM

It must be Hell to live in such a lawless place.

Not lawless but police often won't do a thing about property crime. We
pay a ton of taxes but too much goes towards fat pensions and we get
little in return for it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 19th 17, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 9/19/2017 7:04 AM, jbeattie wrote:

We hate laws until someone builds a rendering plant next door -- or passes too closely or gets in our space. We are a fundamentally schizophrenic society. Everyone is a rugged individual, constrained by the oppressive laws -- until someone bigger, stronger and more wealthy decides to take all the water from the river or charge us $150 a week for cable TV or cellphone service. Then there aren't enough laws. With that said, I hope The Donald does trim the tax code, but I'm certain that as one solidly in the dwindling middle-class, I'd get slaughtered. I didn't vote for him, but it looks like all of his tax proposals would totally sodomize his base.

They don't care. They voted against their own self-interests for a reason.

Old September 19th 17, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

exactly:
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...529-story.html

Old September 19th 17, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 07:04:51 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

I hope The Donald does trim the tax code, but I'm certain that as one
solidly in the dwindling middle-class, I'd get slaughtered. I didn't
vote for him, but it looks like all of his tax proposals would totally
sodomize his base.
-- Jay Beattie.

It wouldn't be terribly difficult. Much of the bloat that has been
added in the last 40 years or so are private bills that apply to only
one individual or corporation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_bill
They also tend to be a one time tax deduction (or tax avoidance) that
no longer applies. Finding and identifying these and deleting them
would be fairly easy as they all seem to follow the same template as
shown in the above Wikipedia article:
"...such tax of the type shall not be imposed on any
corporation chartered in the State of Winnemac after
January 12, 1967 and on or before January 14, 1967
for an intrastate transaction involving a stock transfer
of not less than $12 million nor more than $20 million
which occurred after April 2, 2001 and on or before
April 5, 2012."
The problem is that the same people that have the influence and money
to obtain private bills, are also those that sponsor political
candidates.

http://economistsoutlook.blogs.realtor.org/files/2013/07/071613a.png
http://members.cruzio.com/~jeffl/poetry/irs1.htm