What is the forum web address?

Old June 13th 06, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default What is the forum web address?

Hello all....

I found this forum on a newsgroup that I am viewing as text only through
Outlook Express.

Is there a web based version? If so, what is the website please?

Thanks.

Old June 13th 06, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Techno Freak" wrote in message
Hello all....

I found this forum on a newsgroup that I am viewing as text only through
Outlook Express.

Is there a web based version? If so, what is the website please?

No. It is a newsgroup, not a website. They are two different things. You
could, however, view this newsgroup through Google Groups. But most people
will be using Outlook Express or similar program.

Old June 13th 06, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

!

Old June 13th 06, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

That's great, thanks.

I just wondered because my news server only goes back a month or so, so if
it was a website forum I could have gone on there for previous posts.

Looks like I'll just have to shell out for a better news server that has
stored posts further back.

Thanks.

Old June 13th 06, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Techno Freak wrote:
That's great, thanks.

I just wondered because my news server only goes back a month or so, so if
it was a website forum I could have gone on there for previous posts.

I didn't even know what usenet; peer to peer / nodal this that and the
other was until I found this NG (well actually uk.rec.subterranea from
which I found urc)

google groups is fine for me..
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.re...7e677825885d21

Old June 13th 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:42:38 +0100, Techno Freak wrote:

That's great, thanks.

I just wondered because my news server only goes back a month or so, so if
it was a website forum I could have gone on there for previous posts.

Looks like I'll just have to shell out for a better news server that has
stored posts further back.

Google groups, which used to be www.dejanew.com
indexes Usenet posts, including this group, to the year dot.
(Or dot noodle)
Old June 13th 06, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Techno Freak twisted the electrons to say:
I just wondered because my news server only goes back a month or so, so if
it was a website forum I could have gone on there for previous posts.

I suspect a great many newsservers only keep (text) posts for about 1
month. Usenet takes up a truly vast amount of diskspace (if you're
carrying alt.binaries!) and it isn't exactly what management call a
"profit centre". (I used to admin a news-server many years ago, IIRC it
had about 0.5Tb of diskspace and we only kept uk.* for about 28 days. Of
course, if we'd sacked off alt.binaries.* and alt.warez.* we'd probably
have been able to half the diskspace and double the retention time!)

Looks like I'll just have to shell out for a better news server that has
stored posts further back.

groups.google.co.uk ... if for some reason you really want to read
threads dating "way back when" ...
Old June 13th 06, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

in message , Techno Freak
') wrote:

Hello all....

I found this forum on a newsgroup that I am viewing as text only
through Outlook Express.

Is there a web based version? If so, what is the website please?

It is text only. There are very scummy people who wrap a web front end
around the group in order to try and make money out of our conversation,
but as I personally think people who do that should be lynched I'm not
going to recommend any of them.

;; We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other
;; languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their
;; pockets for new vocabulary -- James D. Nicoll

Old June 13th 06, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

In article , Techno Freak wrote:
That's great, thanks.

I just wondered because my news server only goes back a month or so, so if
it was a website forum I could have gone on there for previous posts.

Looks like I'll just have to shell out for a better news server that has
stored posts further back.

There is actually a web-based gateway at
http://www.cyclingforums.com/f195-uk.rec.cycling.html
but it's generally considered to be pretty crap, and you may find
some people ignore all posts that come through there.

As other people have said http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.cycling
is a better bet for searching for older stuff anyway.

Whichever method you use, you might want to read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting
(Summary - just because Outlook Express stickes your cursor above the
message you are replying to doesn't make that the best place to actually
write a reply.)
Old June 13th 06, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:06:34 +0100, John Hearns wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:42:38 +0100, Techno Freak wrote:

That's great, thanks.

I just wondered because my news server only goes back a month or so, so if
it was a website forum I could have gone on there for previous posts.

Looks like I'll just have to shell out for a better news server that has
stored posts further back.

Google groups, which used to be www.dejanew.com
indexes Usenet posts, including this group, to the year dot.

www.dejanews.com, I think

It's not all that old - the archive doesn't extend back as far as
my first contribution to this group, for example.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|