SRAM Powerlock

Old January 14th 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Verheul

Default SRAM Powerlock

Has anyone here used a SRAM 10s powerlock (renamed from the earlier
powerlink apparently) with Shimano and/or Campy 10s chains?

I've been doing this for years on 9s, want to be sure it'll work on 10s
before I buy a few powerlocks.

Old January 14th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben C

On 2008-01-14, John Verheul wrote:
Has anyone here used a SRAM 10s powerlock (renamed from the earlier
powerlink apparently) with Shimano and/or Campy 10s chains?

I've been doing this for years on 9s, want to be sure it'll work on 10s
before I buy a few powerlocks.

I haven't used them, but I have heard on RBT that the SRAM powerlock is
one-time use only.

The 9-speed ones OTOH you can keep opening and closing as many times as
you like and they last the life of the chain.

There is a Connex Wipperman link for 10s chains that's re-usable which
might be a better solution.
Old January 14th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Verheul

"Ben C" wrote in message
There is a Connex Wipperman link for 10s chains that's re-usable which
might be a better solution.

It works with Campy & Shimano 10?

Old January 14th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben C

On 2008-01-14, John Verheul wrote:

"Ben C" wrote in message
There is a Connex Wipperman link for 10s chains that's re-usable which
might be a better solution.

It works with Campy & Shimano 10?

I believe so. I'm still using 9-speed so I haven't tried any of this
stuff.

Try searching the RBT archives for "Wipperman" and where the author is
"Qui si parla Campagnolo".

This is one thread I found:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec...c3e672058a0999
Old January 14th 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

John Verheul wrote:
"Ben C" wrote in message
There is a Connex Wipperman link for 10s chains that's re-usable which
might be a better solution.

It works with Campy & Shimano 10?

Yes, all 10 speed chain are 5.9 mm now (Shimano, SRAM and Campy Ultra
Narrow.

Lou
Old January 14th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

"Ben C" wrote

John Verheul wrote:
It works with Campy & Shimano 10?

in various models, yes
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old January 14th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted

I haven't used them, but I have heard on RBT that the SRAM powerlock is
one-time use only.

I've opened and re-used the ten speed powerlock many times.
There is a trick to opening it though.
Old January 14th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nick Payne

I've used the Wipperman links for several years with 10s Campagnolo chains.
Never had a problem with them.

Old January 14th 08, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Taylor

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 19:04:12 +0100, Lou Holtman
wrote:

John Verheul wrote:
"Ben C" wrote in message
There is a Connex Wipperman link for 10s chains that's re-usable which
might be a better solution.

It works with Campy & Shimano 10?

Yes, all 10 speed chain are 5.9 mm now (Shimano, SRAM and Campy Ultra
Narrow.

You might check out the IRD Snaplink, IMO better than the Wipperman.
The Snaplink is symmetrical - almost identical to the 9 speed SRAM
Powerlink, while the Connex is asymmetrical and won't work with an 11
tooth cog assuming you have one) if you install it upside down.

Why SRAM went with a non re-usable link for 10 speed is beyond me.
Same as why the Connex is asymmetrical.

IRD's link works for both Shimano and Campy:
http://store.interlocracing.com/10snli.html

Old January 14th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

Doug Taylor wrote:

Why SRAM went with a non re-usable link for 10 speed is beyond me.
Same as why the Connex is asymmetrical.

Have you tried to ask them? Maybe there is a reason?

Lou

SRAM Red Scott Gordo Techniques 11 September 6th 07 09:36 PM
Why is SRAM going with a 10s ... smiles Techniques 44 December 5th 05 08:21 PM
SRAM :( Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 30 June 12th 05 09:58 PM
SRAM PC-48 or not? Derk Techniques 11 February 2nd 05 06:34 PM
9 speed sram shifter with 8 speed sram derailleur brent Techniques 1 October 30th 03 02:12 AM