Cycling past a church

Old January 6th 14, 02:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Cycling past a church

http://ktla.com/2014/01/05/man-ridin...#axzz2pd2q1FI9

Could not discern the bike brand/model.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 6th 14, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 1/6/2014 9:35 AM, AMuzi wrote:
http://ktla.com/2014/01/05/man-ridin...#axzz2pd2q1FI9

Could not discern the bike brand/model.

Danger! Danger!
Old January 6th 14, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 1/6/2014 9:45 AM, Duane wrote:
On 1/6/2014 9:35 AM, AMuzi wrote:
http://ktla.com/2014/01/05/man-ridin...#axzz2pd2q1FI9

Could not discern the bike brand/model.

Danger! Danger!

Sorry, that was a bit callous. But was this a random gang killing?
Apparently it's not very safe to ride a bike in LA under the best of
conditions.
http://bikinginla.com/2013/12/27/bre...ths-this-year/
Old January 6th 14, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, January 6, 2014 10:05:40 AM UTC-5, Duane wrote:
On 1/6/2014 9:45 AM, Duane wrote:

On 1/6/2014 9:35 AM, AMuzi wrote:

http://ktla.com/2014/01/05/man-ridin...#axzz2pd2q1FI9

Could not discern the bike brand/model.

Danger! Danger!

Sorry, that was a bit callous. But was this a random gang killing?

Apparently it's not very safe to ride a bike in LA under the best of

conditions.

http://bikinginla.com/2013/12/27/bre...ths-this-year/

Notice that the death in Duane's link was yet another hit from behind one? Too bad the article isn't clearer on exactly where the bicyclist was positioned on the road when he was struck.

13 more bicycle deaths each year for the past two years. Makes onewonder aboutthe assertions some people make.

Cheers
Old January 6th 14, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, January 6, 2014 10:05:40 AM UTC-5, Duane wrote:

Apparently it's not very safe to ride a bike in LA under the best of
conditions.

http://bikinginla.com/2013/12/27/bre...ths-this-year/

Sounds like walking may be worse, yet again:

http://www.transact.org/ca/caught99/release.htm

http://www.losangeleswalks.org/la-dr...es-a-response/

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 6th 14, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, January 6, 2014 10:32:35 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

13 more bicycle deaths each year for the past two years. Makes one wonder about the assertions some people make.

Sorry, you're mis-reading again. It's not "13 more bicycle deaths each year for the past two years." Instead, the article said "the 37th [death] in Los Angeles County — 13 more than each of the last two years."

That means 24 the year before, and 24 the year before that. Look it up.

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 6th 14, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

On 1/6/2014 9:45 AM, Duane wrote:

On 1/6/2014 9:35 AM, AMuzi wrote:

http://ktla.com/2014/01/05/man-ridin...#axzz2pd2q1FI9

Could not discern the bike brand/model.

Danger! Danger!

Sorry, that was a bit callous. But was this a random gang killing?

Apparently it's not very safe to ride a bike in LA under the best of

conditions.

http://bikinginla.com/2013/12/27/bre...ths-this-year/

Notice that the death in Duane's link was yet another hit from behind
one? Too bad the article isn't clearer on exactly where the bicyclist was
positioned on the road when he was struck.

13 more bicycle deaths each year for the past two years. Makes onewonder
aboutthe assertions some people make.

Cheers

According to the comments at least the car had a banged up windshield on
the driver's side. The commenter thought the rider was moving left to
make a turn.

Again, hitting a rider from behind it shouldn't matter where they are.
Looks like another case of a clear road in broad daylight.

It wasn't my intent to trigger yet another VC vs facilities thread. I only
wanted to point out that even without the threat of gang violence mentioned
in Andrew's post, riding in LA county doesn't seem that safe.
--
duane
Old January 6th 14, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 1/6/2014 9:45 AM, Duane wrote:

On 1/6/2014 9:35 AM, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

I was just commenting that the death was caused by a car hitting a bicyclist from behind. It seems to me that this sort of accident no matter how rare is becomeing more common and that death or serious injuries are more likely for the bicyclist who gets hit from behind.

Cheers
Old January 6th 14, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 1/6/2014 9:45 AM, Duane wrote:

On 1/6/2014 9:35 AM, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Yes it does seem to be getting more common. I attribute this to cell
phones or gps devices. I've had a guy hit my car from behind at a stop
sign and get out of his car still texting. I've had a friend hit from
behind on his bike at a stop sign in the middle of the lane by a driver
who actually told the cops that she dropped her cell phone. I posted
here of a case last summer where a driver narrowly missed me once and
caused me to dump on her second try and still didn't know I was there
until I went to scream at her.

Rather than pretending that these things are so exceedingly rare, I
think actual cycling advocates should be pressing for legislation to
prevent idiots from killing cyclists and getting off because it was an
accident. Actually, real cycling advocates are doing just that.

http://www.velocapebreton.ca/velo_old/?q=node/654

https://www.caaquebec.com/en/on-the-...how-about-you/

Old January 6th 14, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

-much snip-
On 1/6/2014 10:48 AM, Duane wrote:

[...]

You may have understated the problem: