Cycling past a church

Old January 11th 14, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Cycling past a church

On Saturday, January 11, 2014 4:29:04 PM UTC-5, JoeRiel wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

FWIW, my 8 feet example applies to things like empty residential
streets, empty country roads, etc. I'm saying that if there's no
other vehicle affected, cyclists should not be bound by _any_ "as far
right as practicable" rule. It's unnecessary.

The CA rule begins

21202. (a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed
less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction
at that time shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand
curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following
situations:

I consider that, on a mostly empty roadway, a cyclist's speed is the
normal speed of traffic at that time, so the rule does not apply.
A court of law may disagree, but my conscious is clear.

That sort of echos the motivation for the name of this effort:
http://iamtraffic.org/ "I'm not delaying traffic; I _am_ traffic."

This article touches on much of what we're discussing:
http://www.humantransport.org/bicycl...cs1/page7.html

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 12th 14, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

duane

I live in a tourist area of south Florida. Winters, we see a flood of Ohioans. Southern winter snowbirds tend to group together wether in Texas/AZ/or Florida.

Ohioans, we find are a lot like what Frank seems tube here in RBT: relatively intelligent, polite, slow moving , good traffic driving, dull...

Excellent naybors.

WE see Quebecker people. Same deal even the uh lower classes.

maybe you have something in common ?

Old January 12th 14, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:
duane

I live in a tourist area of south Florida. Winters, we see a flood of
Ohioans. Southern winter snowbirds tend to group together wether in Texas/AZ/or Florida.

Ohioans, we find are a lot like what Frank seems tube here in RBT:
relatively intelligent, polite, slow moving , good traffic driving, dull...

Polite?

Excellent naybors.

If you say so. Not sure I've met anyone from Ohio.

WE see Quebecker people. Same deal even the uh lower classes.

Not sure what you mean by lower classes. Pretty expensive to summer in FLA
at any rate.

maybe you have something in common ?

I'm not a Quebecker though. I just live here.

FWIW I know a lot of Quebec snow birds and none of them remind me of Frank.

--
duane
Old January 12th 14, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 08:55:06 -0500, "Bertrand"
wrote:

Do you move to the right if a car comes up behind you?

On back roads, I ride a little to the left for the express purpose of
jumping to the right when I'm sure the driver of an overtaking car can
see me do it, to signal that I'm aware that he's there, so he needn't
BLAAT!!!!! as he passes.

The default (the position taken when I have no reason to take some
other position) is to put my rightmost wheel where everybody else puts
his rightmost wheel.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/

Old January 12th 14, 05:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

FWIW I know a lot of Quebec snow birds and none of them remind me of Frank.

duane

As a snowbird, Frank is typical of high end intelligence snowbirds.

Winter camping on Florida is relatively inexpensive, not long ago free !

The USA allows Canadian prostitution over the border for winter touring. The ones I've met appear non-violent if not non-criminal and generally laid back.

We should be so fortunate.

Like Frank !

Old January 12th 14, 01:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Do you move to the right if a car comes up behind you?

On back roads, I ride a little to the left for the express purpose of

jumping to the right when I'm sure the driver of an overtaking car can

see me do it, to signal that I'm aware that he's there, so he needn't

BLAAT!!!!! as he passes.

The default (the position taken when I have no reason to take some

other position) is to put my rightmost wheel where everybody else puts

his rightmost wheel.

--

joy beeson at comcast dot net

http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/

The above message is a Usenet post.

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

is your left to right the simple understanding of VEHICULAR CYCLING ?

for perception, seems a good idea.

tho I would rather ride my road bike, the cyclocrosser takes major points when routing forces paths off asphalt into the berm: a corollary of your position.
Old January 13th 14, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

UH, I was complimenting Canadians. yakno...everyone said your not fit to eat with pigs but I said....

Tent camping out of your car or truck is possible esp if yo're are employed in the entertainment industry.

Training or flying down with bike touring equipment is likely.

There are 'bike tourers' everywhere....Canadian banks in Miami/Hialeah.

I know Canadians, have Q relatives from wayback. Winter south and we're butt deep in Canadians....Quartzite/Imperial Dam/Yuma/Rockport.. We feel your pain.

Local Noise suggest a 'bike touring' count for the county I base from runs abt 2-3000/winter.

If you read

http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Natural.../dp/087156551X

each area is abt 75 miles apart then mix in National Forest/State parks

https://www.google.com/#q=quartzsite+blm+camping

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/FL_cc_us.html

Old January 13th 14, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I DOAHN know anyone in Orlandough...I was in Bolivia.