Spline on Shimano freewheel/sprockets.

Old January 11th 14, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

Default Spline on Shimano freewheel/sprockets.

The splined removal tool I bought from Halfrauds tends to ride over and jam
in - is it likely to be faulty (tolerance limits) or am I doing it wrong?

Thanks.

Old January 12th 14, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Bauman

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 22:30:20 +0000, Ian Field wrote:

The splined removal tool I bought from Halfrauds tends to ride over and
jam in - is it likely to be faulty (tolerance limits) or am I doing it
wrong?

Thanks.

Shimano has used several different spline designs for freewheels and
cassettes. None is compatible with one another.

Stephen Bauman
Old January 12th 14, 05:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/#q=harris+cyc...+removal+tools
Old January 12th 14, 05:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, January 12, 2014 12:43:10 AM UTC-5, wrote:
https://www.google.com/#q=harris+cyc...+removal+tools

hehehe...there's a batch. I forget uh I also forget when uh 20 years ago switched to the hub as freewheel axles bent and bent under load. I'd put a new one in, finally Wheels Mfg strong and rebendable axles, pussy around then slightly drop of a small curb and expletive deleted bent axle wobble. PITA PITA. Excellent low friction running from the freewheel but loadinf, forgetabbputit.

Most times, the splines are frozen from TIME or bad assembly practice. White lithium grease mounting ? Oxy/Mapp gas ? take it to a mechanic at the LBS who has a torch for you.

https://www.google.com/#q=shimano+fr...+tool&tbm=shop

reassemble with aluminum anti seize.
Old January 12th 14, 12:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, January 12, 2014 12:55:23 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, January 12, 2014 12:43:10 AM UTC-5, wrote:

https://www.google.com/#q=harris+cyc...+removal+tools

hehehe...there's a batch. I forget uh I also forget when uh 20 years ago switched to the hub as freewheel axles bent and bent under load. I'd put a new one in, finally Wheels Mfg strong and rebendable axles, pussy around then slightly drop of a small curb and expletive deleted bent axle wobble. PITA PITA. Excellent low friction running from the freewheel but loadinf, forgetabbputit.

Most times, the splines are frozen from TIME or bad assembly practice. White lithium grease mounting ? Oxy/Mapp gas ? take it to a mechanic at the LBS who has a torch for you.

https://www.google.com/#q=shimano+fr...+tool&tbm=shop

reassemble with aluminum anti seize.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU$

still there..

https://www.google.com/#q=phil+wood+freewheel&tbm=shop

wonder what PW uses for axles ? or if there's a ubermachining solution for excessive axle pressures
Old January 12th 14, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

wrote in message
On Sunday, January 12, 2014 12:55:23 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, January 12, 2014 12:43:10 AM UTC-5, wrote:

https://www.google.com/#q=harris+cyc...+removal+tools

hehehe...there's a batch. I forget uh I also forget when uh 20 years ago
switched to the hub as freewheel axles bent and bent under load. I'd put
a new one in, finally Wheels Mfg strong and rebendable axles, pussy
around then slightly drop of a small curb and expletive deleted bent axle
wobble. PITA PITA. Excellent low friction running from the freewheel but
loadinf, forgetabbputit.

Most times, the splines are frozen from TIME or bad assembly practice.
White lithium grease mounting ? Oxy/Mapp gas ? take it to a mechanic at
the LBS who has a torch for you.

https://www.google.com/#q=shimano+fr...+tool&tbm=shop

reassemble with aluminum anti seize.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU$

All your links so far just open a blank google search page.

The freewheel assembly is very new and recently fitted, I used copper-slip
anti-seize compound.

The tool was bought from Halfrauds and is probably on the limit for
tolerances - it worked fine for the first few times, then developed the
habit of jamming in so I had to find a socket that fit through the hole to
use as a drift.

The problem came to light while the new freewheel was on order - I rummaged
the junk box for a salvaged spare, several that slipped just as bad as the
one I took off and one with a sticky ratchet that kept throwing the chain.

There were a few noticably loose spokes - so it won't be long before I need
a tool that works so I can put the new freewheel on a better wheel.

Old January 12th 14, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Stephen Bauman" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 22:30:20 +0000, Ian Field wrote:

The splined removal tool I bought from Halfrauds tends to ride over and
jam in - is it likely to be faulty (tolerance limits) or am I doing it
wrong?

Thanks.

Shimano has used several different spline designs for freewheels and
cassettes. None is compatible with one another.

The one in the Powerfix/Crivit sport toolset from the Lidl store chain
clearly isn't compatible - I took it to Halfrauds and asked for one "not the
same as that" - the one they supplied worked OK for a few times but soon
started giving trouble.

I've ordered a new tool from an independant cycle shop, and made it clear
that its to fit the freewheel they sold me recently.

At the time, I asked the shop keeper if I'd been doing it wrong - I clamp
the tool in the vice, put the wheel on it and turn that, he said that's
exactly the way they always do it.

It crossed my mind that holding the wheel and turning the tool with a
spanner would produce an off-centre torque and help the spline bite - but
last time I looked, no spanner big enough.

Before anyone asks - spanner is English for American wrench.

Old January 12th 14, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, January 12, 2014 1:23:37 PM UTC-5, Ian Field wrote:

At the time, I asked the shop keeper if I'd been doing it wrong - I clamp
the tool in the vice, put the wheel on it and turn that, he said that's
exactly the way they always do it.

It crossed my mind that holding the wheel and turning the tool with a
spanner would produce an off-centre torque and help the spline bite - but
last time I looked, no spanner big enough.

Yes, that's what I do, but with one addition: I use the skewer or axle nut to keep the freewheel tool fully engaged.

Here's what I've always done with freewheel removal tools:

I remove the quick release skewer or axle nut, whichever is fitted.

I insert the freewheel removal tool.

I re-install the skewer or nut, so it holds the removal tool firmly in place - not too tight though; I want just a little (maybe 0.020") axial clearance.

Like you, I clamp the flats of the freewheel removal tool into a large bench vise so the wheel is horizontal above the vise.

Using two hands, I apply torque to the wheel in the proper direction, like turning a steering wheel on a bus. That's always broken the freewheel loose for me. But it won't go far, because of the skewer or axle nut.

Then I loosen the skewer or axle nut a little more and repeat the process, to get the freewheel a bit further unscrewed.

After that, the freewheel comes off easily by hand.

The important points, I think, are using the skewer or nut to keep the tool engaged in the freewheel, and having a setup that applies lots of torque with no significant side force.

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 12th 14, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

? Of Shimano tools there were 2 or 3 ? but if your's is after '85 then pin the tool in before wrenching.

clean the freewheel mates, scrapemout. If the torque was less then the tool would work, or work better. Wether or not the tool itself is badly formed to spec that is true, true enough to pursue it with heat.

Copper anti sieze may need heat. I doahn trust copper caws I cannot see it but then only a thin film is necessary or ?

Copper is a hi temp antiseize formulated for hi temp auto sensor screw ins, not freewheels. Freewheels go in on a linseed oil based antiseize good for the Navy.
IMO.

The links may be pasted into your search box or take the English words out into Google search or ?

How's it go ? place freewheel in vise, clamp tool down with quick release, heat then turn tool with 4' 1" water pipe ?

crank those spokes in !

Old January 12th 14, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/11/2014 4:30 PM, Ian Field wrote:
The splined removal tool I bought from Halfrauds tends to
ride over and jam in - is it likely to be faulty (tolerance
limits) or am I doing it wrong?

The current Shimano cassette remover is not the same spline
pattern as their freewheel tool. Do you have the right tool?

Less likely, on some cassette hubs the right side
cone/seal/spacer can interfere with tool engagement. This
presents usually when the tool is worn and rounded. We just
touch the tool face to a grindwheel so the edge is crisp,
not rounded.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/