MTB Tires 4 Deep Slush?

Old January 17th 14, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default MTB Tires 4 Deep Slush?

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:50:25 PM UTC-5, Duane wrote:
John B. wrote:

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:47:25 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

There're tires for nearly every use. Is there one that's really good a

giving traction in the deep brown greasy slush that occurs when deep

snow is simply salted before it's plowed? Even studded tires don't grip

in that crap. Maybee a tire with long spikes to penetrate the crap might

do it but brake bridges and chanstay bridges get in the way. Any great

tire design that will give traction in that goop? Those super wide 29

tires need not apply as they won't fit a normal frame made for 26" MTB tires.

Cheers

Err... the "brown greasy" stuff isn't snow :-)

Snow is white, or if a lot of male dogs and children are around

sometimes yellow. But never brown.

Not snow. Slush. Created just as described. Even more fun when the

temperature drops and it freezes over.

--

duane

And yet more fun when frozen and the plows cut chunks out of it creating what are in essence ice potholes. Really have to watch it then as tthe front wheel can get defelected very easily.

Cheers
Old January 17th 14, 11:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

There're tires for nearly every use. Is there one that's really good a
giving traction in the deep brown greasy slush that occurs when deep
snow is simply salted before it's plowed? Even studded tires don't grip
in that crap. Maybee a tire with long spikes to penetrate the crap might
do it but brake bridges and chanstay bridges get in the way. Any great
tire design that will give traction in that goop? Those super wide 29
tires need not apply as they won't fit a normal frame made for 26" MTB tires.

Cheers

Err... the "brown greasy" stuff isn't snow :-)

Snow is white, or if a lot of male dogs and children are around
sometimes yellow. But never brown.

Not snow. Slush. Created just as described. Even more fun when the
temperature drops and it freezes over.

I know, I was just being a wise-ass :-)

But I'm puzzled. You say spread salt but not plowed? I've never seen
that. I have seen the snow plow truck also tow a salt spreader but
never just the salt. I'd thing it would be counter productive - say 1
foot of snow; pioneer through with a truck spreading salt and than go
back and plow it sometime later?

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old January 17th 14, 12:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Probably two different unions and the salt spreaders get out first. Lol.

Anyway if you've ever been around a place with a lot of snow you know it's
only white until the traffic comes. Goes from beautiful to grungy in one
good rush hour.

--
duane
Old January 17th 14, 12:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

black DEEEP and floating..

http://fredhatt.com/blog/wp-content/...dirty-snow.jpg

tidal !
Old January 17th 14, 01:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

London, Ontario used to be really bad for salting the snow before plowing the snow. Even cars had trouble staying on track in the resulting deep and brown greasy ooze.

Cheers
Old January 17th 14, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://digitaljournal.com/article/164570
Old January 17th 14, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

There're tires for nearly every use. Is there one that's really good a giving traction in the deep brown greasy slush that occurs when deep snow is simply salted before it's plowed? Even studded tires don't grip in that crap. Maybee a tire with long spikes to penetrate the crap might do it but brake bridges and chanstay bridges get in the way. Any great tire design that will give traction in that goop? Those super wide 29 tires need not apply as they won't fit a normal frame made for 26" MTB tires.

Cheers

Err... the "brown greasy" stuff isn't snow :-)

Snow is white, or if a lot of male dogs and children are around
sometimes yellow. But never brown.

It's everything in the roadway; dog poop, car and bus
exhaust, debris, oil, coolant, trash, dirt, mixed with salt
and churned to a slush of varying consistency. It hides ice
patches, various depressions (often water filled),
impediments and things both slippery and sharp. As the salt
and snow ratios and the temperature change, it can range
from splashable walls of grey-brown crud coming at you from
passing vehicles (amazingly dense) to hard ridges made by
tires which can impede normal steering.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 17th 14, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

You don't understand the civil service or politics in modern
USA.

Old January 17th 14, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Duane wrote:
:John B. wrote:

: But I'm puzzled. You say spread salt but not plowed? I've never seen
: that. I have seen the snow plow truck also tow a salt spreader but
: never just the salt. I'd thing it would be counter productive - say 1
: foot of snow; pioneer through with a truck spreading salt and than go
: back and plow it sometime later?
:

:Probably two different unions and the salt spreaders get out first. Lol.

Around here, what happens when it snow is that the snow plows (which
also spread salt) drive a loop. They clear what snow is there, and
spread salt. They may not get back around to plow for another hour or
four, during which time, more snow falls. Some of it melts, because
of the salt, it gets all churned up, because of traffic, and it's
generally a mess. If a big snow is predicted, they'll salt roads
before the snow hits, which gives you slush even on streets they don't
plow until the snow stops.

There are places that salt only, and don't plow, for some roads. A
slat truck can work faster than a plow truck.

--
sig 91
Old January 17th 14, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 1/17/2014 12:33 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
Duane wrote:
:John B. wrote:

[...]

This year we've been having snow with colder temperatures. Normally,
when it's snowing the temperature stays a bit milder due to the cloud
cover but this year we've had snow at -25C.

The salt stops working around -10C so they don't usually put it down
when it's much colder than -10.

I really don't like slush ... Paul - xxx[_2_] UK 13 December 9th 10 06:11 PM
Snow ride with slush and puppies... and pictures! gkmac Unicycling 5 February 9th 07 09:08 PM
Snow ride with slush and puppies... and pictures! gkmac Unicycling 0 February 8th 07 05:58 PM
Deep Vee's D'ohBoy Techniques 18 August 23rd 06 10:54 PM
28mm Tires and Deep V rims jj Techniques 3 May 29th 05 07:04 PM