innovation risks

Old January 19th 14, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

Default innovation risks

Frank Krygowski writes:

Speaking of innovation and its risks:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...e-improvements

and

http://sramroadhydraulicbrakerecall....ncement-video/

Obviously, this system is intended for the elite, not for hacker mechanics.

(Without even looking at it... ) Obviously.

But most bikes get maintained by hackers. Seems like anything requiring thousandths-of-inches precision is a bad idea.

For most bikes, sure.

(Your inner curmudgeonly luddite is showing.)

I had an engineer friend who once worked in military helicopter design. He said that on the wall of the engineering design room was a rather small collection of tools, with a sign saying something like "It must be repaired using only these tools."

Perhaps bike component companies should use that same trick, with the tools being just one screwdriver, a rusty crescent wrench, a bent pair of pliers and a hammer.

That should do to repair your snow shovel, but some of us aren't
contrained to the driveway and neighborhood backstreets when the
weather is less than optimal.

Lou is not alone.
Old January 19th 14, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, January 19, 2014 1:40:18 PM UTC-5, wrote:
http://www.ate.de/www/download/ate_d...t3_blue_us.pdf

http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf/HSMOPlus_200606.pdf

aha ! too cold too damp too too….

Gawdamn heater ! FD$%#SS!

duh

nnnnnnnnnnnn

imagine adding glycol to your SM ! HOLY TOLEDO !
Old January 19th 14, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 19/01/2014 17:34, Phil W Lee wrote:

And indistinguishable on any test I know from Jaguar Hydraulic System
Mineral Oil (HSMO) which is twice the price of LHM. Yes, I've had
Citroens and Jaguars, and it's the green lifeblood of both (and I
believe a few high-end Mercedes).

Some mercs had rear hydropneumatic suspension, presumably for the
self-levelling.

Rolls Royce were another user.

Didn't know about Jaguar - which bits did they do?

Old January 19th 14, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 19/01/14 05:15, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Speaking of innovation and its risks:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...e-improvements

and

http://sramroadhydraulicbrakerecall....ncement-video/

Obviously, this system is intended for the elite, not for hacker
mechanics. But most bikes get maintained by hackers. Seems like
anything requiring thousandths-of-inches precision is a bad idea.

I had an engineer friend who once worked in military helicopter
design. He said that on the wall of the engineering design room was
a rather small collection of tools, with a sign saying something like
"It must be repaired using only these tools."

Perhaps bike component companies should use that same trick, with the
tools being just one screwdriver, a rusty crescent wrench, a bent
pair of pliers and a hammer.

Here's an innovation risk...

http://www.xxcycle.com/look-keo-blad...specifications

The spring was traditionally a steel coil, and now it seems a migration
to a CF leaf spring.

Is there already a brake that uses a CF leaf return spring?

I wonder what the risk is?

Could there be CF leaf springs used elsewhere on a bicycle? Perhaps in
the brakes (calipers and levers) for return springs?

--
JS
Old January 19th 14, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Clive George wrote:
:On 19/01/2014 17:34, Phil W Lee wrote:

: And indistinguishable on any test I know from Jaguar Hydraulic System
: Mineral Oil (HSMO) which is twice the price of LHM. Yes, I've had
: Citroens and Jaguars, and it's the green lifeblood of both (and I
: believe a few high-end Mercedes).

:Some mercs had rear hydropneumatic suspension, presumably for the
:self-levelling.

:Rolls Royce were another user.

idn't know about Jaguar - which bits did they do?

Depending on the car, some or all of self leveling rear suspension,
brake booster, and power steering fluid.

--
sig 78
Old January 20th 14, 12:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, January 19, 2014 4:30:18 PM UTC-5, David Scheidt wrote:

in USA, and ? Germany/Scandanavia....power steering fluid ISNOT and unsuable for brake fluid