Record for Destroying Bike

Old August 3rd 03, 07:52 PM
mouseorgan

Default Record for Destroying Bike

I learned a very hard but useful lesson yesterday. Picked my road bike up
from being serviced yesterday at 9.30 from LBS and decided to drive out of
town and have a short ride in the country.

Stopped off in a lay-by near the top of a hill and got the bike off the car,
cycling kit on and jumped on - looking forward to an exhilarating ride
after a few weeks off the bike. Unfortunately the bike had been left in the
biggest gear and setting off up the hill was not the best idea. Within 20
seconds while trying to answer my mobile phone I managed to topple over
sideways, not disengaged my right foot from the pedal and land in an
undignified heap on the road. Fortunately there was no audience to witness
this spectacle.

Anyway not one to give in I jumped back on board only to find the back wheel
bent at right angles to the hub. So it was back to the car and off to get a
new wheel. Visited a different shop for the new wheel to avoid any more
embarrassment but was directed to the same shop that had just serviced the
bike.

So is this a record after collecting a bike for returning it for repair? And
can I ever suffer greater embarrassment on a bike?

But the lesson to be learned is - leave the mobile in your pocket unless YOU
need to make a call!

The Mouse

PS The weather this morning was fantastic and I managed 25 miles on my
mountain bike. I now remember why I bought the road bike!

------------------------------

Delete mouseorgan. To reply

Old August 3rd 03, 07:58 PM
Digweed .. ;\)

mouseorgan tried to scribble ...

So it's not just drivers who are ****s with mobiles then ?

--
Digweed

Old August 3rd 03, 09:23 PM
Sam Salt

If you are looking for a suitable holder and bracket,try

http://cgi.theclimbersshop.plus.com/...72_01_00. php

Sam Salt

Gary Sinnott wrote:
On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 20:07:16 +0100, mouseorgan
wrote:

On 3/8/03 7:58 pm, in article
, "Digweed .. "
wrote:

mouseorgan tried to scribble ...

.... setting off up the hill
was not the best idea. Within 20 seconds while trying to answer my
mobile phone I managed to topple over sideways,

So it's not just drivers who are ****s with mobiles then ?

Sad to say ....but you're right. But I think it would look more
****ish (is this a real word) with a handsfree ear piece in - a bit
to Lance in the TDF for me.
------------------------------

Delete mouseorgan. To reply

Aah, I wouldn't be without my earboom when out & about.

Don't give a stuff what others think - especially those luvverly
cagers who drive with one hand on the wheel and the other - often the
left - holding the mobile to the ear. I see about 3 or 4 a day when
I'm out and never yet seen anyone else on a bike with a headset or
similar.

At the moment, the phone goes on the hip and the cable runs inside the
shirt but if I can get a bracket for the bars, the phone'll go on
there and a quick release connector will hook earboom to phone via the
back of the seat so I don't have an accident if I have an accident -
if ya know what I mean

Gary

Old August 4th 03, 08:05 AM
Gary Sinnott

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 20:23:29 +0000 (UTC), "Sam Salt"
wrote:

If you are looking for a suitable holder and bracket,try

http://cgi.theclimbersshop.plus.com/...72_01_00. php

Sam Salt

....snip...

Interesting looking thingamybob. Thanx for the info. Dunno if
there's space to get the earboom connector in the bottom though so I
may give 'em a shout to check first.

Gary

Reply to gary at data dot mildenhall dot com
Old August 4th 03, 03:30 PM
Tony W

"Digweed .. " wrote in message

Doesn't matter what you use .. using a mobile phone is a distraction to

any
road user, whether it's hands free or using hands .. Or so drivers keep
getting told.

snip

It appears some cyclists have double standards, or are of the opinion that
others should do as they say, not as they do.

In town it is so easy, as a cyclist, just to pull over to answer the phone.
Its safe and, unless you are in the process of going round the Hanger Lane
Gyratory or similar, you can easily answer the phone before the voice mail
cuts in.

On a quiet country lane I may let my standards slip -- but as soon as I know
I want to accept the call I still find it easier to pull over to speak --
apart from anything else, heavy breathing is normally considered dubious ; )

Old August 4th 03, 04:17 PM
Digweed .. ;\)

Digweed .. tried to scribble ...

As you fell off whilst answering the mobile, I suggest that either it

oops, delete the 'either' ..

--
Digweed