Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking

Old March 7th 04, 02:46 AM
BB

Default Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 06:58:24 GMT, Mike Vandeman wrote:
Have I forgotten anything?

Apparently you've forgotten what a FAQ is.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
Old March 7th 04, 05:56 AM
Mike Vandeman

On 7 Mar 2004 02:46:32 GMT, BB wrote:

..On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 06:58:24 GMT, Mike Vandeman wrote:
.. Have I forgotten anything?
..
..Apparently you've forgotten what a FAQ is.

So you are of course going to enlighten us? This should be good....
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old March 7th 04, 12:33 PM
Andy Chequer

"BB" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 06:58:24 GMT, Mike Vandeman wrote:
Have I forgotten anything?

Apparently you've forgotten what a FAQ is.

My MV MTB FAQ FAQ goes something like this (I've multiple choiced it to make
it more interesting)

1) Who is asking these questions?

A: Those who want to know the TRUTH about mountain biking.
B: Nobody. It's just a different way of structuring the same old ****.
C: People who immediately wished they'd talked to that cute blonde on the
tofu stand instead.

2) Why are they asking Mike?

A: Because only I tell the TRUTH about mountain biking.
B: They aren't because they don't exist
C: Because there was a queue for the tofu stand and it seemed like a good
idea at the time..

3) What do they make of the answers?

A: They see the TRUTH and go and fight MTBing
B: Non existent people cannot use usenet to register their support
C: They conclude that all land access advocates are insane, get in their
SUVs and go home.

If you answered

Mostly A's: Stop talking to yourself, you buffoon.
Mostly B's: You believe that Mike has no support. Shame on you!
Mostly C's: You're not going back to those beardie weirdie meetings again,
they're all mad. But you say bikers can go several times as far as hikers?
Interesting........

Andy Chequer, and ya can't refute it

Old March 9th 04, 03:00 AM
boba8888

Ok.. maybe we should ban people from everywhere and create a human fre
habitat. Check out Mars

-

Old May 15th 04, 07:36 PM
Stephen Baker

yaawwwwnnnnnn
Old May 15th 04, 10:02 PM
BB

On 15 May 2004 18:36:40 GMT, Stephen Baker wrote:
yaawwwwnnnnnn

Old May 16th 04, 02:57 AM
frodge

It is much safer to live in a bubble. :rolleyes

-

Old May 17th 04, 06:38 PM
frodge

Jonesy wrote:
Mike Vandeman wrote in message
. ..
Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking Michael Vandeman,
Ph.D. March 5, 2004

1. Why do people mountain bike?

It's fun, good exercise, gets people away from the stress of workaday
life, allows people to see and experience nature, and helps people
understand the joys of using and maintaining simple, elegant machines.
2. What is driving the sport of mountain biking?

See 1.), above.
3. What harm does mountain biking do?

About the same harm per mile as hiking, and the same kinds of harm.
4. Mountain bikers claim that their sport has no greater
environmental impact than hiking. Is that true?

No. Mountain biking actually does less aggregate harm, because there are
many fewer mountain bikers than hikers. In addition, many trails are hiker-
only, while very few are restricted to only mountain biking. Hiking is
more widespread, and has many more participants, and thus is much more
harmful to the environment.
5. Where should mountain biking allowed?

On trails open to mountain bikes, and on paved roads.
6. What should the policy be on trails?

Bikers should yield to all other users on multi-use trails. Bikes should
always stay on the trail, and bikers should always remain in control of
their bikes and not skid or otherwise damage the trail. Bikers should
only use trails open to bikes.
7. Isn't it discriminatory to allow hikers and equestrians on trails,
but not mountain bikers?

If the trail system is on private land, or cannot support bicycle
traffic, no. Otherwise, yes.
8. Don't I have a right to mountain bike on all public lands?

Only in the parts approved for use by those on bikes. Bikes are not
approved in National Parks, for instance.
9. Don't mountain bikers do some good things, like trail construction
and trail maintenance?

Among other things, mountain bikers also keep land from being
developed or paved over. They often advocate for retaining lands as
undeveloped, or use private timber land for trail systems (as opposed
to public forests).
10. But don't mountain bikers provide added safety, by being able to
quickly summon help in the event of an emergency?

In rugged places without cell phone reception, a mountain biker might be
the difference between life and death. While this event might be rare,
the possiblity is real. More than that, mountain bikers often carry
tools and small amounts of minor medical supplies. For minor, non-life-
threatening injuries, a mountain biker's kit could help bring comfort to
an injured trail user.
Thank you for allowing me to honestly answer your questions,
Robert F. Jones

Very eloquently put

-

Old May 17th 04, 10:31 PM
Stephen Baker

Sweety-Pie says:

(I spent the last 900
Years fighting idiots and cretins.)

Not having much luck there, are ya? ;-)
Old May 17th 04, 10:31 PM
Stephen Baker

Sweety-Pie says:

(I spent the last 900
Years fighting idiots and cretins.)

Not having much luck there, are ya? ;-)

new to road biking - questions Bob General 7 March 23rd 04 02:30 AM
Where is the best mountain biking in Northern California? Per Löwdin Mountain Biking 20 January 31st 04 06:25 PM
Mike Vandeman qa2 Mountain Biking 26 November 18th 03 12:16 PM
More Hate Mail from a Typical Mountain Biker Stephen Baker Mountain Biking 11 October 26th 03 05:14 AM