200 dollar pushbikes in the park

Old April 8th 06, 02:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default 200 dollar pushbikes in the park

Just listening to Aus Crawl's Beautiful People and laughing at the line
"Beautiful people, they ride 200 dollar pushbikes in the park". I can't
remember when that was released (and too lazy to look it up) but I can't
imagine a $200 bike impressing anyone these days. If they re-wrote the
song today what would the Beautiful People ride??

DaveB
Old April 8th 06, 02:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle

DaveB wrote:
Just listening to Aus Crawl's Beautiful People and laughing at the line
"Beautiful people, they ride 200 dollar pushbikes in the park". I can't
remember when that was released (and too lazy to look it up)

1979 if I'm not mistaken. Their debut single perhaps?

Parbs
Old April 8th 06, 03:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Parbs wrote:
DaveB wrote:

Just listening to Aus Crawl's Beautiful People and laughing at the
line "Beautiful people, they ride 200 dollar pushbikes in the park". I
can't remember when that was released (and too lazy to look it up)

1979 if I'm not mistaken. Their debut single perhaps?

Parbs

I thought Boys Light Up was the debut?? Torquay Pub for the clip, pure
class!

DaveB
Old April 8th 06, 03:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle

DaveB wrote:
Just listening to Aus Crawl's Beautiful People and laughing at the line
"Beautiful people, they ride 200 dollar pushbikes in the park". I can't
remember when that was released (and too lazy to look it up) but I can't
imagine a $200 bike impressing anyone these days. If they re-wrote the
song today what would the Beautiful People ride??

$69 K-Mart.

I think you need to take $200 bike as meaning "If they are so smart, why
do they they ride stupid **** bikes"

If Parbs is correct, then $200 would have been a LBS clunker in those
days. I don't remember if K-Mart (did it exist?), etc were flogging
bikes then. I know Woolies were flogging taiwanese cheapies for kids
about that period.

Sadly, I can not lay my hands on the receipt for my first bicycle
purchase of 1974, but my log book from August 82 says I spent $353.70
buying all the parts and building my fourth tourer (racks + $78.70 and
panniers-probably sewed my own).
Old April 8th 06, 03:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle

DaveB wrote:

I thought Boys Light Up was the debut?? Torquay Pub for the clip, pure
class!

Now you're making me search for it. Google tells me Boys Light Up was
the first album & single off the album released in 1980. Beautiful
People which was also on that album had been released as a single the
year before.

Parbs
Old April 8th 06, 04:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Wasn't this the Crawls first appearance on Countdown, with James
sporting his arms in two casts? Made bit a impression upon me, though
he was wearing a costume!

--
cfsmtb

Old April 8th 06, 05:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Terry Collins" wrote:
DaveB wrote:
Just listening to Aus Crawl's Beautiful People and laughing at the line
"Beautiful people, they ride 200 dollar pushbikes in the park". I can't
remember when that was released (and too lazy to look it up) but I can't
imagine a $200 bike impressing anyone these days. If they re-wrote the
song today what would the Beautiful People ride??

$69 K-Mart.

I think you need to take $200 bike as meaning "If they are so smart, why
do they they ride stupid **** bikes"

If Parbs is correct, then $200 would have been a LBS clunker in those
days.

Nah, I updated from my 1976 LBS clunker ($100) in 1979 to a much better
quality road bike in 1979, that later morphed into my trusty tourer. It was
$250, about average at the time for a mid-range quality bike.

I don't remember if K-Mart (did it exist?), etc were flogging
bikes then. I know Woolies were flogging taiwanese cheapies for kids
about that period.

Yes to all.

Sadly, I can not lay my hands on the receipt for my first bicycle
purchase of 1974, but my log book from August 82 says I spent $353.70
buying all the parts and building my fourth tourer (racks + $78.70 and
panniers-probably sewed my own).

Price levels changed rapidly in those days, due to high inflation. A $200
bike in 1979 would have become a $400 bike by 1982. I still remember in 1977
or 78, ogling over a Raleigh Carlton IIRC that a local shop, Mianline Cycles
had for sale for $1000. "You could buy a car (2nd hand) for that!" In 1980 I
bought my CW road bike for $750 without to much stress.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old April 8th 06, 07:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle

DaveB wrote:
Just listening to Aus Crawl's Beautiful People and laughing at me marty

http://tinyurl.com/rl55z

http://littlink.com/skeul

http://makeashorterlink.com/?K2DD118EC

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b..._frm/thread/fa...

hahaha

Old April 8th 06, 07:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle

DaveB this is just little boy marty wallace

Old April 8th 06, 07:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle

My first custom bike cost me about $300 (just after the introduction of
decimal currency) and was pretty much top line everything. These days a set
of gear shifters cost more than that.

"DaveB" wrote in message
Just listening to Aus Crawl's Beautiful People and laughing at the line
"Beautiful people, they ride 200 dollar pushbikes in the park". I can't
remember when that was released (and too lazy to look it up) but I can't
imagine a $200 bike impressing anyone these days. If they re-wrote the
song today what would the Beautiful People ride??

Hiker dies in fall at Denali National Park Chris Foster Social Issues 0 August 4th 05 03:02 PM
National Parks Service Likes Mountain Biking! Joz Mountain Biking 6 May 17th 05 07:46 PM
The Effects of Mountain Biking on Wildlife and People -- WhyOff-Road Bicycling Should be Prohibited Pablo Ricardo Mountain Biking 69 July 23rd 04 10:40 AM
FS: Park Tools res09c5t Marketplace 0 July 12th 04 11:26 PM
Mike Vandeman qa2 Mountain Biking 26 November 18th 03 01:16 PM