New bike for Jay

Old July 26th 17, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default New bike for Jay

Can we start speccing out equipment for Jay the way we do for Jorge?

I'll start with this thing. Jay tell us again what frame size you ride?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik...230636448.html

Old July 26th 17, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 8:55:05 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
Can we start speccing out equipment for Jay the way we do for Jorge?

I'll start with this thing. Jay tell us again what frame size you ride?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik...30636448..html

Wow. That's a deal. I ride a 63cm in Cannondale. The OE Ksyrium wheels are a non-starter. I couldn't keep them true. But I'd buy that bike, and I was even in SF yesterday. Oh well.

I need two bikes, but both have been or are in the process of being replaced. I splurged and sort of replaced my commuter with a CF gravel bike for $1,600. at Western Bikeworks. An on-sale Norco Search. I couldn't help myself. It's a bike I've always liked. It's 105 level, which is more than fine -- and godbless Norco for using the whole component group and not some FSA or TruVativ crank or Tektro brakes. This is a fun bike and probably too nice for a commuter, so who knows, I might buy a beater frame and throw together a dead of winter commuter. Cannondale will probably give me something as a replacement for the broken CX frame. I just didn't want to wait to go through that process, and I wanted a gravel bike anyway. Hey, keep the economy strong. Bike sales are down. We have to do our part.

My uber-bike to replace the smashed SuperSix is going to be an Emonda because my son loves his, and I do work for Trek, so they'll give me a deal on a great bike. I like dealing with the fine folks in Wisconsin. I have always gone with the US companies because I'm a krypto-nationalist, even if the production is done elsewhere (or a lot of it). I like long warranties. If someone gave me a Pinarello, however, I would not throw it out -- although I'm not hot on Italiano BBs.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 26th 17, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-07-26 09:31, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

http://www.norco.com/bikes/road/adve...h-a-105-hydro/

Nice bike though 160/140mm rotors are IMO too wimpy. What always peeves
me and is one reason why I am sticking with my 35 year old steel frame
road bike is that manufacturers of "modern" bikes seem to assume nobody
has to carry anything. No rack attachment points. Schlepping a laptop,
water, food and other stuff in a backpack is a real pain especially when
it's over 100F out there and the ride is mostly in the sun. When I took
delivery of this full-custom road bike in the early 80's the very first
thing I did was to add lights and a nice big rack. I made sure the frame
I selected had provisions for that.

I even have a full rack (almost all home-made) on my FS-MTB. Stiffened
so the panniers won't sway into the spoked even during very rough rides.
Plus now a top trunk. Detachable in case a package has to be brought to
Fedex along the way. The available trunks can hold 1-1/2 gallons of
water, food, prototype parts for clients, a tool set and whatever else
is needed.

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 26th 17, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 10:23:58 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-07-26 09:31, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

me snip

I was just gonna say you are a lot easier to please than Jorge.

Old July 26th 17, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2017-07-26 09:31, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

They make bikes for that. You just don't own one. I can go down the street an buy one. http://www.splendidcycles.com/ https://bikeportland.org/tag/cargo-bikes

By the way, I bought the CF (not allow) Norco Search: http://www.norco.com/bikes/road/adve.../search-c-105/

The Search alloy has rack mounts -- not the CF bike. The rotors are plenty big enough for a gravel bike. The 140mm rotors on my Cannondale CX bike were more than adequate.

I don't need a cargo bike. I want something fun to ride on gravel and through the hills on the way home. If I found myself in need of a rack, I'd buy a beater frane with rack mounts -- which I might do.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 26th 17, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 1:23:58 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
Nice bike though 160/140mm rotors are IMO too wimpy.

Snipped

EVERYTHING on ANY bicycle is too wimpy for you!

Cheers
Old July 26th 17, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 12:38:46 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 1:23:58 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
Nice bike though 160/140mm rotors are IMO too wimpy.

Snipped

EVERYTHING on ANY bicycle is too wimpy for you!

Cheers

Yea, well, Jay might have been able to fix his c'dale with a hose clamp
Old July 26th 17, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://portland.craigslist.org/search/bik
Old July 26th 17, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/search?q=alum...UQuw0IvQ MoAw
Old July 26th 17, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 3:44:45 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 6:43:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
https://portland.craigslist.org/search/bik

https://www.google.com/search?q=alum...UQuw0IvQ MoAw

Is this some sort of joke?