Special mention of unicycles in mandatory helmet proposal

Old February 29th 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

Default Special mention of unicycles in mandatory helmet proposal

Wheeliefine wrote:
What this law means is that, in this one location at least, unicycling
is no longer below the radar. For a long time we've been in a
pleasant no-man's land where, by and large, we could ride on the roads
as vehicles, on the pavements as pedestrians, and generally enjoy
total freedom.

Blame it on fast riders!

--
unisk8r
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 2nd 08, 07:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Rowan

unisk8r wrote:
Blame it on fast riders!

The fast riders of cars who love their freedom to speed. Rather than
govern the speed of the cars lets just strap some polystyrene to the
vulnerable road users heads and hope that if a car hits them it will
prevent brain damage, and if they don't wear it get money from them to
help pay for the hospital bill of those who get hit while doing
moderate exercise and not contributing to carbon emissions.

Then if any helmets are left over from the carnage of all the cyclists
being hit you could add fuel to the polystyrene and make Napalm and
drop it on Iraqi civilians- recycling and making the waste another
country's problem.

--
Rowan
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 2nd 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borges

johnfoss wrote:
If you die (which happens a lot in motorcycle accidents), it's not a big
problem. But if you're permanently disabled it can be a big financial
burden on the state. That's us. Does that mean a kid on a non-motorized
scooter needs to wear a helmet? Not the same thing.

If that's the logic, bike helmets should be just the right way to save
the state some expenses (according to the last study I read, which is
just one study and might not apply everywhere etc. etc.).

The study said that helmets prevented headinjuries, but in the really
lethal situations where cyclist are hit by cars, the helmets didn't
help.
Helmets prevented concussions, braindamage, cuts and bruises, but not
death.

--
Borges

What happens on the internet stays on the internet.
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 2nd 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
_Ground_Zero_

Well, at least you Canadians can still ride your tricycles without
helmets :P

On a serious note though, that sucks, it should be a riders decision
whether he/she wants to wear protective gear.

--
_Ground_Zero_
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 3rd 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

_Ground_Zero_ wrote:
Well, at least you Canadians can still ride your tricycles without
helmets :P

This is in the Vancouver in *Washington* state. It's a city just
across the Columbia River from Portland Oregon.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 3rd 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uni_jim

BurnerDave wrote:
There is also a law in the works to outlaw smoking in a car that has
kids under 16 in it. I have mixed feelings about that one too. My dad
smoked like a chimney around me as a kid. I turned out ok. I don’t
smoke.
QUOTE]

that law would be to prevent kids from being exposed to 2nd hand smoke,
not as an anti-smoking law.

--
uni_jim

'evolve trials'
(http://tinyurl.com/2uho7c)

T.M.C. wrote:
I can jump pretty high for my skill level...

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 3rd 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
$unidude$chad$:)

W-t-f, that's just kinda weird to limit people on unicycles, i think
they are kidna safe

--
$unidude$chad$

Chad Miedel
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 3rd 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

Well I heard this story about a person who's religion includes always
wearing one of those "Turbans" who is fighting the law because he was
given a ticket for riding a motorcycle without a helmet.

--
Borgschulze

'deviantART'
(http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/)'Gravity'
(http://videos.observedtrials.net/Gravity.wmv) is -not- the
issue.
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 3rd 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UniBrier

Borgschulze wrote:
Well I heard this story...

'Tru dat' (http://www.helmets.org/turbans.htm) (or 'Sikh'
(http://tinyurl.com/3b74lp) and ye shall find).

--
UniBrier

Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is to hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just
stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go
inside and watch TV.” – Homer
http://www.usenet.com