Special mention of unicycles in mandatory helmet proposal

Old February 28th 08, 08:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

Default Special mention of unicycles in mandatory helmet proposal

The city of Vancouver Washington has the foresight to think of unicycles
when proposing a mandatory helmet law that would cover kids as well as
adults. We won't be able to scoot by this one claiming we're not
defined as a bicycle and therefore not covered by the mandatory helmet
law.

Oh, the proposal passed. It goes in effect in 30 days.

Here's the relevant part that mentions unicycles:

AN ORDINANCE requiring helmets be used by all people when operating or
riding on bicycles, skateboards, roller blades, roller skates,
*unicycles* and scooters in a public area within the City of Vancouver;
providing for savings, severability and an effective date.

Here's a link to the 'council meeting agenda that covered it'
(http://tinyurl.com/3dyfbs). The minutes for the meeting should be
posted later.

Here's a 'KGW TV news article' (http://tinyurl.com/2kd9rw) about it:

Vancouver makes bike helmets mandatory, even for adults

12:53 PM PST on Tuesday, February 26, 2008

By ANTONIA GIEDWOYN, kgw.com Staff

VANCOUVER, Wash. -- City leaders passed a new law requiring helmets to
be used by all people riding bicycles in public areas within the city,
including adults.

The law also applies to those on skateboards, roller blades, roller
skates, unicycles and scooters.

It goes into effect in 30 days. Fines for breaking the helmet law will
cost up to $50.

The law includes a provision for the court to waive, reduce or suspend
the penalty if the violator provides proof that he or she has acquired
a helmet.

john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 28th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BurnerDave

How much government regulation can you stand? It’s a slippery slope. We
have a bike helmet law here in Ontario, but it only applies to kids
under 16 or 18. I don’t know if I agree with it or not. I don’t know
if the law includes unis. We have free medical care in Canada so I
suppose the government has a right to try to keep the cost of providing
‘elective brain surgery’ down, but where does it stop? Sometimes the
motive for these motherhood laws is a knee-jerk response to a tragic
accident and some politician decrees to “do something about it” and
gain some political mileage out of it. (I’m so cynical.) More hospital
money and lives would probably be saved if people can be legislated to
wear sunscreen while on their bikes or unis, but of course, that can’t
be easily policed on the roads, and the politicians can’t point and
say…’look what we’ve done.’
There is also a law in the works to outlaw smoking in a car that has
kids under 16 in it. I have mixed feelings about that one too. My dad
smoked like a chimney around me as a kid. I turned out ok. I don’t
smoke.
My 2 cents!

--
BurnerDave

Dave

This is me, this is my video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=cz62gzgdGos
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 28th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lpounds

Skateboards!? Thats a tough one to enforce.

--
lpounds

Levi
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 28th 08, 03:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hugo

They should better regulate really dangerous things like weapons in the
US, instead of such silly things like wearing helmets on bicycles or
any other non-motorized vehicles.

--
hugo

hugo
qu-ax luxus schwarz / black 20\"
no-name chrome 24\"
anfänger seit / beginner since 24. dec 2007
- wer schreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten / if you find typos, just
keep them -
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 28th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

hugo wrote:
They should better regulate really dangerous things like cars in the US,
instead of such silly things like wearing helmets on bicycles or any
other non-motorized vehicles.

FIFY.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 28th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Seager

I don't see any difference between this and a seatbelt law. I do hope
that it's not abused as a way to target skaters, however, because I
really doubt skaters will start wearing helmets.

Also, they should provide vouchers for people who can't afford helmets
and need their bike to get to work if they are going to make this law.

I will say this, when I was a kid growing up in Iowa I wanted their to
be a helmet law so I wouldn't be made fun of for wearing my helmet when
riding to elementary school and junior high. After a few days I stopped
wearing one.

--
Seager

'The GreyMatter Jugglers' (http://www.greymatterjugglers.com) | 'Team
RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
(http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 28th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Seager

Also, what I would like to see is a bicycle light law. As someone who
sometimes drives I'm sick of almost hitting bikers at night who don't
have lights. I'm very aware of bikes because I commute almost 100
miles a week - but even I almost hit bikers every time I drive at night
around here because they won't light themselves up. A night biker
without a light is a severe road hazard.

Old February 28th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

Seager wrote:
Also, what I would like to see is a bicycle light law. As someone who
sometimes drives I'm sick of almost hitting bikers at night who don't
have lights. I'm very aware of bikes because I commute almost 100
miles a week - but even I almost hit bikers every time I drive at night
around here because they won't light themselves up. A night biker
without a light is a severe road hazard.

Lighter fluid, a polyester shirt, and a match would work well as an
inexpensive substitute.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 28th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UniBrier

The local unicycle lobby was asleep at the switch on this one, I wonder
if any of the affected groups were aware this was coming down. There
seems to be a group think that if wheels are involved, a hemet must be
required safety equipment. Doesn't matter what the equipment is or
level of the risk as long as there are wheels.

A few years back our club was doing a show at the Seattle Center, our
MC/Announcer had to be back in the audience because that is where the
sound board and microphone were. He had many come up to him
asking/chastising the group for not having helmets for regular riding
and freestyle skills; we did wear helmets for the Trials segment.
Comments like that was something new, before then no one had
complained.

I do wear a helmet for Trials, Muni, and any riding where there is a
potential interaction with vehicles, but otherwise not. I still say
normal riding is about as dangerous as jogging. I think we should lobby
for mandatory helmets for joggers, now that would get some peoples'
attention.

--
UniBrier

Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is to hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just
stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go
inside and watch TV.” – Homer
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 28th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UniBrier

Seager wrote:
Also, what I would like to see is a bicycle light law.

I believe that is already the law. Any vehicle, even human powered, are
required to have lights if operating on a roadway after dusk.