Will the Global Plunge make people plunge into bikes?

Old October 10th 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jack May

Default Will the Global Plunge make people plunge into bikes?

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"Jack May" writes:

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
On Oct 8, 12:41 pm, Pat wrote:

I know you're on the payroll of Big Oil to try to get people to not
use bike and to use more cars, but finally you're getting that point
through precisely and you should be commented for it.

With tha IQ of yours you must be voting for McCain, right? He's for
drilling and if drilling doesn't cut, then he'll invade Venezuela or
something, right?

You by far have the lowest IQ in this newsgroup and have nothing of value
contribute

Hey, Technocracy Boy -- you 'n CommandanteBanana are
a match made in heave...

Typical brain dead response of the lower class losers like you who have no
capability to accomplish anything in society.

Old October 10th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Rob Lindauer

Default AMERICA DOESN'T HAVE AN ENERGY POLICY!

Jack May wrote:

We have a very strong energy policy in the US. We are depending of a lot of
very smart, very rich people in the private economy to develop our future
energy sources. Far more effective than Government bumbling around.

Yup - those very smart, rich guys who were until recently running our
credit, mortgage, and investment banking firms

--
Rob Lindauer - Please change "att" to "sbc" for my real email address
Old October 10th 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Oct 10, 5:22*pm, Rob Lindauer wrote:
Jack May wrote:

We have a very strong energy policy in the US. *We are depending of a lot of
very smart, very rich people in the private economy to develop our future
energy sources. * Far more effective than Government bumbling around.

Yup - those very smart, rich guys who were until recently running our
credit, mortgage, and investment banking firms

--
Rob Lindauer - Please change "att" to "sbc" for my real email address

I sincerely believe we are being lead by very smart people... But they
are only smart for themselves.
Old October 11th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Pat

On Oct 10, 4:46*pm, ComandanteBanana
wrote:
On Oct 9, 9:08*pm, Pat wrote:

On Oct 9, 11:22*am, ComandanteBanana
wrote:

On Oct 8, 12:41*pm, Pat wrote:

The good news is, of course, that we will NEVER run out of oil.
NEVER. *It's impossible.

Hey, you must change channels once a while. Fox News will only tell
you the viewpoint of the lion. Remember this, SAVING IS CHEAPER THAN R
& D. Now get on your bikes...

"Oil Apocalypse" in Mega Disasater, History Channel

The oil that runs our world won't last forever. The gap between supply
and demand is ever-growing. Even without increasing our current rate
of consumption we will empty the Earth's large but finite reservoirs
in a relatively short time. Will alternative energy save us or is it
already too late? What would happen to the world as we know it when
our oil dependent industries come to a grinding halt? A worldwide
depression is a certainty but a power struggle for the basic
necessities of life would be complete chaos.

Are we looking down the barrel of an OIL APOCALYPSE? This THE HISTORY
CHANNEL® DVD paints a terrifying picture.

http://store.aetv.com/html/product/i...html?id=108290

I can't believe I'm asking this, but what the heck. *Do you really
believe that on some day in 2017 all of the oil wells will just go dry
and we will have pumped the last gallon of oil out of the ground?
Bam, it'll be done. *And if you believe that, do you believe that all
of scientists and engineers and inventors of the world will stand
there looking at the empty wells and saying "oops, we really should
have planned for that" as all of the lights go out and all of the cars
stop.

That scenario is beyond comprehension, but is that really your view?- Hide quoted text -

If there's a lesson to be learned from the program is NOT so much that
a crisis will happen in 2017 or so, just that AMERICA DOESN'T HAVE AN
ENERGY POLICY! When you are not prepare for something or you stick
your head in the sand, many things can happen, just like the current
financial crisis, unforseen --but predictable-- a few months ago.

And not just "running out of oil" but a terrorist attack in Saudi
Arabia, or an oil embargo like the '70s, or a series of hurricanes, or
China getting hungrier for oil and launching a war... Then America
will be as prepared as the dinosaurs were for the asteroid.

How nice it would be have leaders that worried about energy the way
the worry about credit. And PREVENTION is better than R & D because is
cheaper, so let those who want to bike do so --in a safe environment,
not a jungle.

Don't worry about a so-called lack of a energy policy. Do you realize
that there's no FOOD policy !!!! There's no government agency -- at
any level -- that is in charge of ensuring that there will be enough
food. No food planning. No crop planning. Do centralized
warehousing. No transportation planning. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. No
one is encharged with making sure that there will be food in your
local grocery store tomorrow, next week, next year, or in 2017. That
should scare you.

Of course, it might just be that centralized planning isn't needed for
everything. Hmmmm.
Old October 11th 08, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

In article ,
Pat writes:

Don't worry about a so-called lack of a energy policy. Do you realize
that there's no FOOD policy !!!!

That's left in the hands of (or has been handed-over to)
Global Corporatism. Or is that Corporate Globalism?
Anyways, the folks who said that a Global Economy (and
we're all seeing how well that's working out) is good
for everybody, are in charge of that. Anybody's national
gov't might not have a food policy, but rest assured the
current incarnation of Monsanto does. It's possibly in
step with their biofuel policy.

There's a food policy. It's just not socialized or capitalized.
It's just underhandedly, globally monopolized. And condoned by
governments, without citizens' say-so, and behind our backs,
and hiding behind the apron-strings of Intellectual Property law.
That's how Global Corporate "inventors" of GMO seed can claim
ownership of a farmer's crops. In fact, they can claim "ownership"
of anyone's DNA. Even yours, if it's useful to them.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old October 11th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Pat in NY wrote:
[...]
Don't worry about a so-called lack of a energy policy. Do you realize
that there's no FOOD policy !!!! There's no government agency -- at
any level -- that is in charge of ensuring that there will be enough
food. No food planning. No crop planning. Do centralized
warehousing. No transportation planning. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. No
one is encharged with making sure that there will be food in your
local grocery store tomorrow, next week, next year, or in 2017. That
should scare you.

Of course, it might just be that centralized planning isn't needed for
everything. Hmmmm.

There is a surplus of food in the world, yet a large portion of the
world's population is malnourished, or even starving. Yep, the "free
market" is doing a heck-of-a-job!

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.
Old October 11th 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Amy Blankenship

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Pat in NY wrote:
[...]
Don't worry about a so-called lack of a energy policy. Do you realize
that there's no FOOD policy !!!! There's no government agency -- at
any level -- that is in charge of ensuring that there will be enough
food. No food planning. No crop planning. Do centralized
warehousing. No transportation planning. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. No
one is encharged with making sure that there will be food in your
local grocery store tomorrow, next week, next year, or in 2017. That
should scare you.

Of course, it might just be that centralized planning isn't needed for
everything. Hmmmm.

There is a surplus of food in the world, yet a large portion of the
world's population is malnourished, or even starving. Yep, the "free
market" is doing a heck-of-a-job!

People who say that the free market is very effective usually have pot
bellies.

Old October 11th 08, 06:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Amy Blankenship" writes:

There is a surplus of food in the world, yet a large portion of the
world's population is malnourished, or even starving. Yep, the "free
market" is doing a heck-of-a-job!

People who say that the free market is very effective usually have pot
bellies.

Where exactly /is/ this "free" market?

Actually, where are these free market people w/ pot bellies?
'Cuz I'm hungry, and a li'l tenderloin would hit the spot.
And liver & onions.

cheers,
Tom

Old October 11th 08, 12:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
drydem

wrote:

On Oct 8, 12:41*pm, Pat wrote:

[...]

To a supply-sider economics advocate - allowing energy prices
to rise to curtail energy usage and economic growth
is the *ideal* energy policy. Only those usages and types
of growth that can afford the higher energy prices would
continue consuming those forms of energy. Usages
and growth which could not afford higher fossil fuel cost
would have to switch to a lower cost energy source or
risk elimination. That is as oil prices go higher - it will
provide the economic foundation for rival energy forms
to supplant it. If you are to believe in Adam Smith's
economic paradigm out of the ashes of defeat comes the
flames of rebirth.

Old October 11th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
george conklin[_2_]

"Pat" wrote in message

Don't worry about a so-called lack of a energy policy. Do you realize
that there's no FOOD policy !!!! There's no government agency -- at
any level -- that is in charge of ensuring that there will be enough
food. No food planning. No crop planning. Do centralized
warehousing. No transportation planning. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. No
one is encharged with making sure that there will be food in your
local grocery store tomorrow, next week, next year, or in 2017. That
should scare you.

Of course, it might just be that centralized planning isn't needed for
everything. Hmmmm.

-----

Well, we didn't have a banking policy either and look where that got us.