This Video Shows Exactly Why Mountain Biking Is Dangerous!

Old March 5th 05, 07:58 AM
Mr_Kingkillaha

Default This Video Shows Exactly Why Mountain Biking Is Dangerous!

Mike Vandeman Wrote:
A biker is suspended above the ground, in a very unstable position. In
contrast,
a hiker can control his/her movement in all directions. (With my 56kb
modem,
this video took maybe half an hour to download, but it was really worth
it,
because it shows exactly what can happen, and why.)

Mike
Subject: [ROMP] Be careful out there.
Here is a nightmarish video of a friend of a friend of a freind.
http://www.romp.org/movies/AndyVacation.wmv
===
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Do you know what's not dangerous? Sitting in a padded room wearing a
helmet. Try it.

--
Mr_Kingkillaha

Old March 5th 05, 03:28 PM
Curt Bousquet

Mr_Kingkillaha
wrote
let it be known in
:

Mike
Here is a nightmarish video of a friend of a friend of a
freind. http://www.romp.org/movies/AndyVacation.wmv

Looks like your 'friend of a friend of a friend' either knows
Bill or stole the video from his site. I suspect the later,
since it looks like he even went through the trouble of erasing
some kind of copyright notice or other caption on the video you
posted.

If you want to see the REAL video along with the story behind it
(and some more great videos!), go to this site:

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/
Old March 6th 05, 02:29 PM
laffing@you

"S o r n i" wrote in message
That's the infamous "Miles Todd Crash Video" -- soon to be "as seen on

TV"!

Bill "I drove him to the emergency room (on 1/1/4 IIRC)" S.

hopefully, saying over, and over, "it's ok to get off the bike, and walk a
section".

Old March 10th 05, 04:31 PM
miles todd

On 2005-03-06 06:29:06 -0800, "laffing@you" said:

"S o r n i" wrote in message
That's the infamous "Miles Todd Crash Video" -- soon to be "as seen on

TV"!

Bill "I drove him to the emergency room (on 1/1/4 IIRC)" S.

hopefully, saying over, and over, "it's ok to get off the bike, and walk a
section".

Nope. That never came up. Since it was 15 months ago, I can't
remember the conversation word for word, but a lot of it revolved
around Bill complaining I was getting blood on his passenger seat, and
could I please quit it.

miles

Old March 14th 05, 04:27 AM
miles todd

Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:38:55 -0000, "Shaun aRe"
wrote:

.
."Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
.. .
. On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:06:40 -0000, "Shaun aRe"

. wrote:
.
. .
. ."Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
. .. .
. . On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 18:21:14 GMT, "S o r n i"

. .wrote:
. .
. . .Jason wrote:
. . . * Mike Vandeman :
. . . A biker is suspended above the ground, in a very unstable position.
. . . In contrast, a hiker can control his/her movement in all
.directions.
. . . (With my 56kb modem, this video took maybe half an hour to
.download,
. . . but it was really worth it, because it shows exactly what can
. . . happen, and why.)
. . .
. . . Mike
. . .
. . .
. . . Subject: [ROMP] Be careful out there.
. . .
. . . Here is a nightmarish video of a friend of a friend of a freind.
. . . http://www.romp.org/movies/AndyVacation.wmv
. . .
. . . ===
. . . I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
. . . humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
. . . years fighting auto dependence and road construction.) And I have
. . . accomplished absolutely nothing.
. . .
. . .
. . . Pretty old mikey thats been around for months if not a year or more,
. . . but then we don't expect you to be up to date or have your facts
. . . straight so it's ok. It is pretty scary though, the first rider was
. . . correct the penalty for failure can be extreme.
. . .
. . .That's the infamous "Miles Todd Crash Video" -- soon to be "as seen on
. .TV"!
. . .
. . .Bill "I drove him to the emergency room (on 1/1/4 IIRC)" S.
. .
. . How bad was he?
. .
. .He was fine.
.
. Translated from mountain bikerese: "His body was royally ****ed up, but he
.was
. in denial".
.
.Cuts, bruises, scratches, few broken fingers - **** like that was all.

He said he fell off a 30' CLIFF. I would say that that is significant. He said
he is scared just to watch the video.

.Shaun aRe - So, how's your brain recovering from your accident Mike?
.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

I fell about 1450 feet, all told. I got some cuts, a sprained wrist,
and a broken pinky. I also broke my glasses. However, I was certainly
unharmed enough to climb back up, and then ride the ten miles back to
the cars.
I have never said I was scared to watch the video- that is an outright
lie, Mr Vandeman. I have said that I don't like to watch it, but that
is a completely different thing.
As far as psychological scars go, I haven't any. If anything, I have
less of a fear of heights than before.

miles
Old March 17th 05, 03:41 PM
Mike Vandeman

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 04:27:11 GMT, miles todd wrote:

..Mike Vandeman wrote:
.. On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:38:55 -0000, "Shaun aRe"
.. wrote:
..
.. .
.. ."Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
.. .. .
.. . On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:06:40 -0000, "Shaun aRe"
..
.. . wrote:
.. .
.. . .
.. . ."Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
.. . .. .
.. . . On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 18:21:14 GMT, "S o r n i"
..
.. . .wrote:
.. . .
.. . . .Jason wrote:
.. . . . * Mike Vandeman :
.. . . . A biker is suspended above the ground, in a very unstable position.
.. . . . In contrast, a hiker can control his/her movement in all
.. .directions.
.. . . . (With my 56kb modem, this video took maybe half an hour to
.. .download,
.. . . . but it was really worth it, because it shows exactly what can
.. . . . happen, and why.)
.. . . .
.. . . . Mike
.. . . .
.. . . .
.. . . . Subject: [ROMP] Be careful out there.
.. . . .
.. . . . Here is a nightmarish video of a friend of a friend of a freind.
.. . . . http://www.romp.org/movies/AndyVacation.wmv
.. . . .
.. . . . ===
[...]
.. ===
.. I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
.. humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
.. years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
..
.. http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
..
..I fell about 1450 feet, all told. I got some cuts, a sprained wrist,
..and a broken pinky. I also broke my glasses. However, I was certainly
..unharmed enough to climb back up, and then ride the ten miles back to
..the cars.
..I have never said I was scared to watch the video- that is an outright
..lie, Mr Vandeman. I have said that I don't like to watch it, but that
..is a completely different thing.
..As far as psychological scars go, I haven't any. If anything, I have
..less of a fear of heights than before.

Good. Then do it again.

..miles

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande