Titanium Frame Restoration

Old August 3rd 05, 06:04 PM
Chris Dorn

Default Titanium Frame Restoration

I have a titanium frame which has some scratches and rub marks, mostly
superficial. I would like to try to get rid of these scratches. By
reading the archives I have learned that you can use Scotchbrite pads
and rub the finish until it looks like a brushed finish. I still have a
couple of questions.

First, I dont know what finish my frame is for sure. I know its not
bright, could be brushed of blasted. Is there any way to tell for sure?
The frame is a Litespeed Ti-Phoon 2004 model. Does this even matter?

Secondly,how good does this end up looking? I don't want to end up with
a piece of junk. Does this look professional.

I have read that you should use the red pads is this correct? Any ideas
on where to get them? Supermarket?

If anyone has any reccomendations shy of sending it back to Litespeed
for the $500.00 refinishing I would love to hear them.

Thanks
Chris
Old August 3rd 05, 06:25 PM
Llatikcuf

Chris Dorn wrote:
I have a titanium frame which has some scratches and rub marks, mostly
superficial. I would like to try to get rid of these scratches. By
reading the archives I have learned that you can use Scotchbrite pads
and rub the finish until it looks like a brushed finish. I still have a
couple of questions.

First, I dont know what finish my frame is for sure. I know its not
bright, could be brushed of blasted. Is there any way to tell for sure?
The frame is a Litespeed Ti-Phoon 2004 model. Does this even matter?

Secondly,how good does this end up looking? I don't want to end up with
a piece of junk. Does this look professional.

I have read that you should use the red pads is this correct? Any ideas
on where to get them? Supermarket?

I use the Green Pads on my litespeed MTB and my Ti road bike. The finish
looks great! Always rub the pad in the same direction, I usually rub
perpendicular to the tube. It does not take much to get a good brushed
finish.

I bought the pads at Target for ~$1.50. Might as well buy some and try
it on some hidden area of the frame - back of BB shell?

-n
Old August 3rd 05, 07:48 PM
Chris Dorn

I talked to Litespeed (ABG) they told me they refinish them $500.00 a pop.
Chris
Old August 3rd 05, 08:43 PM
bfd

Yow, for $500, you can sure by alot of scotchbrite.....

Old August 3rd 05, 08:43 PM
bfd

Yow, for $500, you can sure by alot of scotchbrite.....

Old August 3rd 05, 09:07 PM
Llatikcuf

Chris Dorn wrote:
[...]

This is a brushed(Scotchbrite)Finish:

http://www.habcycles.com/p001019.jpg

-n
Old August 4th 05, 12:16 AM
RonSonic

On 3 Aug 2005 12:43:54 -0700, "bfd" wrote:

Yow, for $500, you can sure by alot of scotchbrite.....

It's the elbow grease what costs so much.

Ron

Old August 4th 05, 02:51 AM
Mark Hickey

Llatikcuf wrote:

Chris Dorn wrote:
[...]

What a great looking frame!... ;-)

I was hoping someone would post a photo of a brushed frame. It sounds
like the OP's frame is probably bead-blasted. The only really
thorough way to refinish a BB frame is to totally strip it down and
blast it again (hence, the $500 quote). That's also why I have never
sold BB frames (which can save a few bucks up front, but at the cost
of having the same kind of maintenance issues as a painted frame).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old August 4th 05, 09:14 AM
Kovie

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message
Llatikcuf wrote:

Chris Dorn wrote:
[...]

Say it ain't so Mark--you raised your prices! Still, even at $795 your frame
is a bargain. 2000+ miles and it rides like a dream. Haven't had to
scotchbrite it yet although it has developed some wear marks due to housing
rub and such, and of course scratches from road debris, but I think the
brushed finish makes this less important than it would on other kinds of
finishes. Good call on your part, good decision on mine. ;-)

--
Kovie
zen