Zefal Isotherm water bottle keeps water coldest?

Old July 12th 04, 03:42 PM
chris

Default Zefal Isotherm water bottle keeps water coldest?

I tried the polar bottles and others and so far the Isotherm kept water the
coldest. Is there another one that is bettter?

Old July 12th 04, 05:21 PM
Doug Huffman

Yes. The JSB-500/700 featured on Steve Scharf's BikeCoffee web site. It is
a SS vacuum bottle in 'bottle cage' format. I have purchased every one that
I can get for prices ranging $20 to $5 - they make great gifts for cyclists.

Old July 12th 04, 09:37 PM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:42:13 GMT, "chris"
wrote:
I tried the polar bottles and others and so far the Isotherm kept water the
coldest. Is there another one that is bettter?

Zefal Magnum 32oz bottle with half of it's contents pre-frozen. You
must freeze the stuff in the bottle, as a solid block, rather than
stuffing ice cubes into it. Wrap in aluminum foil to make last
longer.

Wow, my ideas sound good, I should try them.

Your Isotherm could benefit from having half it's contents
pre-frozen as a single solid bottle-shaped block also.
--
Rick Onanian
Old July 13th 04, 12:35 AM
HardwareLust

wrote:
I tried the polar bottles and others and so far the Isotherm kept
water the coldest. Is there another one that is bettter?

Zefal Magnum 32oz bottle with half of it's contents pre-frozen. You
must freeze the stuff in the bottle, as a solid block, rather than
stuffing ice cubes into it. Wrap in aluminum foil to make last
longer.

Wow, my ideas sound good, I should try them.

Your Isotherm could benefit from having half it's contents
pre-frozen as a single solid bottle-shaped block also.

Yup, this is good advice. I take mine, fill them 1/2 way or so, and then
lean them up against the wall of the freezer like at 45 deg. or so. When
I'm ready to go, I take them out, fill them with pre-chilled water from the
fridge, and they last a good long time. Not as long as my camelbak, but I
don't like wearing one on my road bike.

Zefal Magnum's rock.

Regards,
H.

Old July 13th 04, 01:11 AM
the black rose

wrote:

[...]

May I ask -- why so cold? Is this a personal preference, or is this a
body heat issue? Reason I'm de-lurking to ask -- if my water is cold, I
don't drink enough of it. I will actually become nauseated if I do
drink enough of it. So I don't chill my water; ambient temp is fine for me.

--
the black rose
GO LANCE GO!!!

Old July 13th 04, 01:31 AM
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 00:11:30 GMT, the black rose
wrote:
May I ask -- why so cold? Is this a personal preference, or is this a
body heat issue? Reason I'm de-lurking to ask -- if my water is cold, I
don't drink enough of it. I will actually become nauseated if I do
drink enough of it. So I don't chill my water; ambient temp is fine for me.

That's twice you've de-lurked, and you've been nice about it; why
bother re-lurking?

Anyway, it may be a personal preference thing. Cold water sinks some
of the excess heat from my body; it feels good and refreshing; and I
love the feel of it going down my throat and into my stomach.
Mostly, though, the heat thing. Plus, around here in warm weather,
ambient temperature is often warmer than urine.
--
Rick Onanian
Old July 13th 04, 03:35 AM
HardwareLust

the black rose wrote:

May I ask -- why so cold? Is this a personal preference, or is this a
body heat issue? Reason I'm de-lurking to ask -- if my water is
cold, I don't drink enough of it. I will actually become nauseated
if I do
drink enough of it. So I don't chill my water; ambient temp is fine
for me.

I suppose it's personal preference. I'll drink a lot more water if it's
cold water, especially in the summer. Of course, riding in the fall/winter,
I won't do all of this, just the prechilled water from the fridge. The ice
is only for use in the Spring/Summer when it gets warm outside. The colder
the water is it is at the start of a ride, the longer it will last. Without
the ice and stuff, a regular bottle will be almost air temp by the time the
first bottle is dry, and today it would be close to 80 degrees. Yuck! I
don't have any scientific proof or anything, but it seems to me that cool or
cold water works better than warm water.

To me, nothing is worse than drinking tepid water on a ride!

IMHO, of course.

Regards,
H.

Old July 13th 04, 03:47 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"HardwareLust" writes:

To me, nothing is worse than drinking tepid water on a ride!

I think the worst thing about warmed-up water isn't so much
the temperature, as much as the way it takes on the plastic-y
taste of the bottle.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old July 13th 04, 12:27 PM
Doug Huffman

Thus, one of the benefits of a SS thermos for *hot* liquids. Hot coffee at
the end of a ride is great.

Old July 13th 04, 04:58 PM
the black rose

Rick Onanian wrote:
That's twice you've de-lurked, and you've been nice about it; why
bother re-lurking?

Cuz I haven't gotten a good feel for this group yet. NG's dominated by
men can be civilized, or they can be pretty brutal, and I *have* seen
some go-for-the-throat behavior here. I don't really appreciate it when
I make an innocent comment and get ripped to shreds by the wolves.
Reasonably mature men don't act that way in RL, in general (at least,
not toward me); the relative anonymity of the internet definitely brings
out the worst in some folks (male or female).

OTOH, my experience of newsgroups dominated by women is that, while
flaming is much less prevalent, nearly all discussions that go on long
enough end up discussing chocolate. Not really needing that right now....

Anyway, it may be a personal preference thing. Cold water sinks some
of the excess heat from my body; it feels good and refreshing; and I
love the feel of it going down my throat and into my stomach.

Thanks -- I kinda thought that might be the case. I'm not sure why my
body reacts so strongly to cold liquids, but I always have. I can only
tolerate them in small amounts. Yeah, when the water in the bottle gets
warm, it can take on that plastic-y taste, but for me the choice is
plastic-y water that I can drink enough of to keep my body hydrated, or
cold water that will make me barf if I drink enough of it to keep my
body hydrated -- it's a no-brainer.

If I'm going to de-lurk, I should introduce myself -- I'm middle-aged
mom getting back into cycling for fun and fitness, after a hiatus of
about 13 years. I've been at it for some 5 weeks now, just getting my
legs under me again. I realized to my chagrin that I've forgotten
pretty much everything I knew about how to take care of my bike. I live
in south central New York state (the area known locally as the Southern
Tier). So I've got some flat areas and some hilly areas to ride. When
I was riding before, 13 years ago, I was living in WV, where there was
practically no level ground, so this is a pleasant change. I've got
some pretty unpleasant memories of coal trucks on steep hills. (I'm
stubborn -- I will NOT get off my bike if I can keep going, even if I'm
going 3 mph up a steep hill. There was this one coal truck driver who
really took issue with that. :-P )

My goals these days --
I'd like to be able to ride a century. I'm not sure I'll be able to
train up to that before the weather gets too cold for me (I'm a wimp
about cold) and I resort to my indoor trainer. Currently I can ride
about 25 miles before I really can't go any farther. Did 25 miles a few
days ago and ended up taking an unscheduled 3 hour nap that afternoon.
I'd like to improve my speed -- I can ride for a couple of hours, but
I can't ride very fast, which means nobody wants to ride with me.
That's a lot of why I gave it up 13 years ago -- it's lonely and boring
to ride alone. This time, though, I've got 3 teenaged sons (13, 16, 18)
who don't mind riding with Mom too much (I've got a 23 yr old son, but
he doesn't live at home). But I still want to improve my speed so they
don't get *too* bored riding with Mom.
I'd like to lose that 20 pounds I gained over the years. :-P Lost 3
of them so far. But I think effectively I've lost more, because I'm
also doing strength training -- 3 weeks in a row, I didn't lose any
weight at all because I was gaining muscle as fast as I was losing fat.
Beginners can do that, but it doesn't last more than 5 weeks or so --
and I haven't the right hormones to put on a whole lot of muscle mass
after that. *grin*
Somehow, I'd like to encourage some confidence in my husband to ride
properly. He still rides with the seat low enough for his feet to reach
the ground, which if he continues, is gonna be hell on his knees (and he
won't be able to keep up with me when I really get going). He's only
just managed to break his reflex of trying to brake by pedalling
backwards -- the last time he did much riding, he was like 8 years old.
I'm cajolling him to raise the seat a little at a time. He's willing,
but then he gets that unhappy, uncertain, slightly wild-eyed look. Toe
clips, power grips, cleats -- out of the question for the present.

Right now I'm riding a Cannondale hybrid, but if I prove to myself that
I'm going to ride enough to justify the cost, I'll get a decent road
bike, because I really don't ride off-road very much at all. I *know*
it'll have to improve my speed to ride a lighter bike that's designed
for roads.

I'm thinking I should probably get a bike designed for women, because
I'm only 5' 2" and a little short-waisted -- shorter top tube might be a
lot more comfortable, especially since I'm dealing now with the
aftermath of a repetitive stress injury to my neck (much better after
physical therapy), don't want any new stress to it. Anyways, if/when I
decide to go shopping for a road bike, I'll definitely be trying
different bikes and such to see what feels best. There are at least 4
reputable bike shops in my area, and more than that in the county, so
I'm sure I can find a bike that feels good. Heck, there are 3 LBS
within 2 miles of my house -- one sells Trek, one sells Specialized, not
sure what the 3rd sells, but one of them's gotta have a bike that suits me.

So, that's me.

And hey, is anybody here going to ride in the Chris Thater Memorial?

--
the black rose
GO LANCE GO!!!

water bottle mounting MarkR General 8 May 20th 04 08:55 PM
cleaning bikes in the winter Doug Purdy General 25 December 23rd 03 12:22 AM
Stupid question: Pink water bottle cages? Preston Crawford General 10 September 8th 03 05:45 AM
Water bottle you don't have to tip up Dan Musicant General 9 July 23rd 03 06:51 PM