Orbea Road Bikes

Old June 8th 04, 10:18 AM
Sasha

Default Orbea Road Bikes

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing an Orbea Vento roadbike here in Oz (Carbon fork
and stays,105set, orbea wheels, ITM bars etc). Anyone here have experience
with this model, or Orbea bikes in general? I am interested in hearing
about quality, durability, ride comfort etc. The frame looks nice (nice
paintjob, no decals, all painted), but the welds look very heavy duty and
ugly in places. However, it will only cost a little more than a similar
equipped giant. Any opinions on these bikes?

Thanks,

Sasha-

remove (nospam) to get my real e-mail address

Old June 8th 04, 11:06 AM
Mark South

"Sasha" wrote in message

I am looking at purchasing an Orbea Vento roadbike here in Oz (Carbon fork
and stays,105set, orbea wheels, ITM bars etc). Anyone here have experience
with this model, or Orbea bikes in general? I am interested in hearing
about quality, durability, ride comfort etc. The frame looks nice (nice
paintjob, no decals, all painted), but the welds look very heavy duty and
ugly in places. However, it will only cost a little more than a similar
equipped giant. Any opinions on these bikes?

It's worth asking your question in uk.rec.cycling, where there is (or used to
be, the helmet threads may have run them off) more than one person who owns an
Orbea.

Cycling Plus in the UK rated a couple of their models as being good value, but
that's all I know.
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

Old June 8th 04, 05:59 PM
Dave Stallard

Sasha wrote:

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing an Orbea Vento roadbike here in Oz (Carbon fork
and stays,105set, orbea wheels, ITM bars etc). Anyone here have experience
with this model, or Orbea bikes in general? I am interested in hearing
about quality, durability, ride comfort etc. The frame looks nice (nice
paintjob, no decals, all painted), but the welds look very heavy duty and
ugly in places. However, it will only cost a little more than a similar
equipped giant. Any opinions on these bikes?

FWIW, I have seen Orbea's Lobular frames (not this model, I guess),
favorably reviewed. They definitely are hot-looking bikes, if that
matters to you. I personally am not a big aluminum fan, but many others
are. They supply bikes for Team Euskatel. If you test ride it, and
like it, you might as well go for it (and get one with the orange paint
job!).

Dave
Old June 8th 04, 07:02 PM
SMMB

"Sasha" a écrit dans le message de :

Anyone here have experience
with this model, or Orbea bikes in general?

Not my personal experience, but Orbea Orca was selected (by panel of 10) as
bike of the year in Le Cycle, here. However, reviews in the same magazine
have been on both sides, rarely in the middle, for different models.
--
Bonne route,

Sandy
Paris FR

Old June 9th 04, 01:26 AM
Alan

I have an Orbea custom steel frame with Columbus Zona tubing. I am happy
with the fit and the quality. The price was quite reasonable. So far so good
w about 10K miles on the frame. The welds on my frame are a bit thick but I
believe it to be cosmetic. The paint is ok probably similar in quality to
other production paint.

You should go for a custom frame as in the US it is only about $100 more to
go custom.

Alan

Old June 9th 04, 05:30 AM
flyingdutch

Sasha wrote:
Hi,
I am looking at purchasing an Orbea Vento roadbike here in Oz (Carbon
fork and stays,105set, orbea wheels, ITM bars etc). Anyone here have
experience with this model, or Orbea bikes in general? I am interested
in hearing about quality, durability, ride comfort etc. The frame looks
nice (nice paintjob, no decals, all painted), but the welds look very
heavy duty and ugly in places. However, it will only cost a little more
than a similar equipped giant. Any opinions on these bikes?
Thanks,
Sasha-
remove (nospam) to get my real e-mail address

From what I have read (C+ too) and seen on cyclingnews.com their highe
end stuff is rated exceptionally well

As with all mid/lower range stuff, some corners get cut but its usuall
more cosmetic than anything. 'ugly' welds could well be the same as high
end welds but not 'cleaned up'

Are you in Melb

If so, wander down to SHM bikes bourke st store (near cnr of Russell) a
they are closing soon and have 20-30% off with a few Orbeas ther

PS lerv them paint jobs. airbrushing lives!!

-

Old June 9th 04, 05:07 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Sasha: What's Orbea's warranty like in OZ? The reason I ask is that, for a
number of interesting reasons, warranty claims are higher in down under than
anyplace else in the world, so manufacturers may tighten up on things. Why
are warranty claims higher, you may ask? I've been told it's because a
higher percentage of bikes sold get ridden really hard (which is a good
thing... a bike wants to be ridden, not sit in the garage!), and that many
of the roads aren't in the best shape. But not having been there, I'm going
on 3rd-party information. The higher warranty expenses are, however, real.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old June 11th 04, 06:43 AM
Phil Sandhu

Hi

I bought an Orbea Mitis road bike with Campagnolo Centaur 10 speed, ITM bars
in Feb-04 and love the bike. The frame with carbon forks and rear has a
lifetime warranty. It is very comfortable, feels durable and is a great
ride. The frame is a blue/silver combo rather than flaming red or orange. I
would definitley go for an Orbea over a similarly equipped giant or trek,
but you may need to pay a few $$ more.

Phil

Old June 12th 04, 02:20 AM
remove the polite word to reply

it is Scientifically Proven that Aussie bikes get made into heavy duty
aluminum pretzels
by ****-drunk racers riding in the dark at 2 am sunday mornings,
proving to their mates how fast they can descend
Old June 12th 04, 03:45 AM
Paul J

Sasha wrote:
Hi,
I am looking at purchasing an Orbea Vento roadbike here in Oz (Carbon
fork and stays,105set, orbea wheels, ITM bars etc). Anyone here have
experience with this model, or Orbea bikes in general? I am interested
in hearing about quality, durability, ride comfort etc. The frame looks
nice (nice paintjob, no decals, all painted), but the welds look very
heavy duty and ugly in places. However, it will only cost a little more
than a similar equipped giant. Any opinions on these bikes?
Thanks,
Sasha-
remove (nospam) to get my real e-mail address

Sasha, I have a Mitis frame. This is their inhouse stuff. Hand painted
all welds are smoothed over. Like all their frames it comes wit
lifetime, unlimited km warranty. I was very impressed. I've put ove
4700km on it in the last 5 months. Incredibly comfortable to ride for a
aluminium bike. In fact, the only way I can tell when I have a punctur
is if I hear it or all of a sudden my power output isn't making it t
the road. That's how comfortable it is

-

Road bikes Doki UK 63 March 5th 04 05:55 PM
Need to go faster / New to road bikes Ken General 25 September 11th 03 03:59 PM
Cycle Event Director criminally liable for Competitor's death Snoopy Racing 78 September 10th 03 02:55 AM