Back in the saddle

Old September 23rd 05, 04:42 AM
Wound Up

Default Back in the saddle

Hello Group

I would like your input on my meager accomplishment

It's been 10 years since I trained. In that time, I smoked for 5 years
(now quit 15 months), gained 30 lbs. and saw my total cholesterol
skyrocket above 300. Meanwhile, the Trek 1400 (RX100, STI, 16 spd) I
got in 1994 has languished, unused. It is bone stock but I love it. In
late August, I got it back in good working shape. I used to do 100-150
miles / week, usually 40 miles at a time in 1:40 - 1:50. The most I
ever did at once was 65. I had planned to compete in local events, but
got side tracked.

Today, on only ride #12 after 10 years, in the 95 degree heat, I clicked
off 16.33 miles in 51:07. I sort of can't believe I've already broken a
19 mph average, but it's been so long I don't know if this is very good
or not. I am spent, but not burnt. I calibrated the cyclometer (and
asked r.b.t) to be very close - 212cm for 700x26C's. Yesterday, I did
16.03 in 52:25. Not time trial numbers for sure (heh), but I feel it's
pretty good. I'm 32, and at the point where I must do something. My
heart rate was consistently 150-160, and I was sweating like a pig, but
I pushed and broke 19. I drank a gallon of a water / Gatorade combo
both nights.

So whaddya think? Pretty good for a guy still 20 lbs. overweight with
all of the above factoring in, or am I still just in baby steps? I
don't know what people are doing these days, but I see guys and gals on
the trail who consistently SMOKE me. One girl with hugely muscular legs
drafted me for about a mile, until she got bored, then SEE YA. "Have a
nice ride" was all I could gasp out, and she smiled, effortlessly
saying, "you too!"

I plan to do a century late next year, and I plan to do it in 5 hours or
less. Gotta have goals.

Thanks for any thoughts
But flames are ignored

--
Wound Up

Old September 23rd 05, 08:43 AM
Raptor

Wound Up wrote:
Hello Group

I would like your input on my meager accomplishment

Today, on only ride #12 after 10 years, in the 95 degree heat, I clicked
off 16.33 miles in 51:07. I sort of can't believe I've already broken a
19 mph average, but it's been so long I don't know if this is very good

That makes you one of the fastest cyclists on the road. Good on ya, even
if we are counting the minimum-wage commuters on their Huffys. Maybe
there's a Cat-1 racer hiding in that abused body of yours.

I'm a spin instructor and never stopped riding for any appreciable
length of time. Spending most of my time either in the city or on a big
hill, I don't worry about average speed. But when I'm cruising on the
flat, a sustained 19 is satisfactory. Two Summers ago, when I could ride
all I want, I was seeing low-mid 20's, with surges to 26-28 for a couple
miles at a time.

Unless your name is Lance Armstrong, and it's July, there's someone
faster out there somewhere.

A century in 5 hours will be a significant accomplishment. I haven't
managed one yet, due to an inability to sync long-term and short-term
conditions. Eventually, I'd like to shoot for 4 hours. That might not be
possible with my genes.

Conservative dictionary:
Judicial Activist: n. A judge who tends to rule against your wishes.

Old September 23rd 05, 06:36 PM
Wound Up

Raptor wrote:
Wound Up wrote:

Hello Group

I would like your input on my meager accomplishment

Today, on only ride #12 after 10 years, in the 95 degree heat, I
clicked off 16.33 miles in 51:07. I sort of can't believe I've
already broken a 19 mph average, but it's been so long I don't know if
this is very good

That makes you one of the fastest cyclists on the road. Good on ya, even
if we are counting the minimum-wage commuters on their Huffys. Maybe
there's a Cat-1 racer hiding in that abused body of yours.

Hey, thanks for the feedback and encouragement. Prior to my period of
self-abuse and neglect, I rode a lot, since I ever could. I lived in a
hilly area with a single parent and had to ride to get places. My first
job was at a bike shop. Then, I wanted to be Greg LeMond, and trained
for health and fitness in college as well. I think it stuck with me
physically and mentally. Interestingly, my legs are fine. It's my
lungs that can't keep up at this point. I am getting endorpin rushes
already! As for racing, it's definitely something I'm entertaining
doing next year, as I have before.

I'm a spin instructor and never stopped riding for any appreciable
length of time. Spending most of my time either in the city or on a big
hill, I don't worry about average speed. But when I'm cruising on the
flat, a sustained 19 is satisfactory. Two Summers ago, when I could ride
all I want, I was seeing low-mid 20's, with surges to 26-28 for a couple
miles at a time.

Wow. That's hauling ass. Those are the people passing me with their
aero bars

Unless your name is Lance Armstrong, and it's July, there's someone
faster out there somewhere.

Very true. Some people get competitive with you at the facility I go to
(a park with a 4-mile paved track) but I just put my head down and go as
hard as I can, all the time. I told my wife that my bike may have 16
speeds, but my body has just two - "fast" and "off". I must push it
hard, always. I am hard-wired to do it.

A century in 5 hours will be a significant accomplishment. I haven't
managed one yet, due to an inability to sync long-term and short-term
conditions. Eventually, I'd like to shoot for 4 hours. That might not be
possible with my genes.

I hope to do it. Four hours would be absolutely stellar. I hope you
can reach that goal as well. Genetics, what?

What do you mean by inability to sync long-term and short-term, do you
burn out too quickly? I've done that, and been like, "great, it's 15
miles even to get back to town, and I'm on fumes."

Thanks for the reply!

--
Wound Up